Thread: Any insights on this bowlback's origins?

Default Any insights on this bowlback's origins?

Just recently acquired this bowlback, seller said he got it from someone who got it in Europe. Any ideas regarding decade of manufacture and country/region/continent? It is devoid of markings inside and out except for some writing on the back of the headstock you can see in one of the pictures. Let me know if there are any other views that might help shed more light. What woods do y'all think it is made out of? It doesn't have any cracks, fretboard is in great condition, top doesn't seem to be sinking at all, and has a lot of sustain. It also has a very sharp V shaped neck I've never encountered before. I don't see it unhorsing my Stradolin as my main mandolin but it'll offer a nice alternative flavor.

The decorative piece below the soundhole is interesting, looks like they create the design a separate piece of wood and then glue it onto the top wood. The top looks solid other than that piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02904.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	733.9 KB 
ID:	158677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02905.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	975.4 KB 
ID:	158676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02908.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	315.8 KB 
ID:	158675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02913.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	158674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02914.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	586.5 KB 
ID:	158673

Default Re: Any insights on this bowlback's origins?

The marquetry pickguard and windmill motif suggest northern European manufacture, rather than Italian. The unfigured mahogany ribs in the body, and the fact that there are few of them -- plus the lack of more elaborate fingerboard inlays -- would indicate that it's a low-to-mid-range instrument.

Beyond that, the body shape and headstock profile don't ring a bell with me, so I defer to the more informed bowl-back experts to get a more specific ID.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Seter 

I like the pickguard! Is that some writing/numbers on the back of the headstock? If so that might help identify it.

5. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Seter 

The writing looks like numbers, maybe
    26 4
    6 something 000?

Pretty cryptic

I had high hopes doing some recording next to Buffalo Bayou here in Houston this morning, but it is already extremely hot and humid. Here are a few halfway decent takes I managed though on the bowlback. Definitely happy with it, though the narrower neck takes some getting used to. I'd like to make a video playing cutting back and forth between my three mandolins (archtop, bowlback, flattop/back) on one song for sound comparison purposes, maybe that'll be my next project.

Burning of the Piper's Hut: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlOfRAQThmo

Bonaparte Crossing The Alps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teyFHHLfyEA