Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eastman Octave

Default Re: Eastman Octave

I use J72 D'Addario light mandola strings. 14-23-34-49. They work great on my short scale, a TC clone. 20 3/8 scale length. The previous owner had a luthier widen the slots a bit for the thicker strings. I tried J80s on it and it sounded horrible. The heavier strings made all the difference. Like night and day. I can't swear to how they would work on the Eastman, though. YMMV.

Some like the set that Weber puts on their short scale OMs, the John Pearse custom octave mandola set (octave mandola being Eurospeak for octave mandolin). Those guages are close to being the same as J72, but not quite.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

For those who have it, how does the nut width and string spacing feel?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

my Elderly setup seems fine.

That said, I have no experience with other octave mandolins, so I'm no real judge!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by bradinbrooklyn View Post
    For those who have it, how does the nut width and string spacing feel?

Mine came from The Mandolin Store, and the setup was great right out of the box. Much lighter weight than I expected. Low action, no buzzes. Plays like butter. The back of the neck is very slick, almost like a speed neck. The satin finish seems perfect, and I can't find any flaws.
    The nut is a tiny bit wider than the specs I had seen. I had seen a spec of 1 3/8 nut, but mine is 1 7/16. The string spacing , to me is just right. 1 3/16 at the nut, and 1 7/8 at the bridge, and the radiused fingerboard feels great. The scale length by my measurement is 20 7/8, ( distance to the 12th fret x 2). Very comfortable.

The only surprise was the body depth, which is 1/2'' shallower at the edge of the body than my friends Weber Gallatin. The Gallatin seems much more highly arched also. Still, the Eastman has excellent volume, very nice projection, and quite a lot of sustain. Personally I think a little deeper body might give it a a little better bottom end, maybe at the expense of the projection and clarity, but I don't know. IMO it's well worth $699, although the gig bag is pretty flimsy. I'm on the lookout for a HSC, even if the fit is not perfect. I also would have paid a little more to have binding on the back of the body. I would be okay with no binding at all vs. only top binding. But that's just me. It didn't keep me from buying.

Overall I'm pleased with mine. This was my first dealing with Dennis at The Mandolin Store, and he was great.

MC.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

As seen about today. . .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	951.8 KB 
ID:	160307

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Any insider info on when next ones will hit stores?

Just played one at Sylvan in Santa Cruz. For some reason they don't have it listed on their website but I'm sure if you call them they'll take good care of you.

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/c1..._Products.html

I haven't played an OM before (except a little screwing around) but at that price point I'd totally buy it if I didn't have a custom build already initiated elsewhere.

Thanks. I reached out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sothoth View Post
    Just played one at Sylvan in Santa Cruz. For some reason they don't have it listed on their website but I'm sure if you call them they'll take good care of you.

https://www.sylvanmusic.com/store/c1..._Products.html

I haven't played an OM before (except a little screwing around) but at that price point I'd totally buy it if I didn't have a custom build already initiated elsewhere.
    No dice.... they are out of stock and backordered there too...

Wow - Just want to offer some thanks to Cafe buddy Sothoth for the assist. I followed up with Sylvan after his post, and the first rep there couldn't find the Eastman Octave and told me they were out of stock until the unknown fall date like everybody else. Then Sothoth called the store to tell them where it was in the store and sure enough they found it. Diamond in the rough! I think I was first on list at Spruce Tree music if anyone is currently looking.

Glad it worked out. TBH when you said they were out of stock I was sort of questioning my own sanity and thought maybe I had played a mandola instead of an OM and hadn't been able to tell the difference. So I was eager to call and verify it was actually an OM just to verify I hadn't gone crazy

Another on Ebay from a little store I've never heard of. Buy it now is a little more than stores but free shipping still.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eastman-Octa....c100338.m3726

Some red flags there. Listed as "new" condition but seller will not take returns? Maybe they aren't authorized Eastman dealers? It seems funny that a tiny "store" like that would have one when Elderly, The Mandolin Store, and other legit dealers can't.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Dietz Brothers is a legit store. It's probably used. Purchased from another store and traded in there. Have never dealt with them, so can't comment on any other part of it. But I've seen their name from time to time over the years.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

So, Eric, let me get this straight. A "legit" store takes in an instrument on trade in, which makes it used (no matter how pristine its condition), lists it as "new", at a higher price than the authorize dealer gets. Now, it may be true that they never claim to be Eastman dealers, but since they call it new (and they were just introduced this year, how old could it be?), you can see how a trusting soul would think they were getting a truly new instrument, including the factory warranty, especially given the outrageous pricing. Like any other used instrument, it should have at least a 25 percent markdown from street price. I could see myself paying 500 for a used one in excellent condition. Their ad is, in my opinion, deceptive. I suppose they've done their homework and think they can get away with it because of the scarcity. Caveat emptor!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

18. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Don,

Don't disagree with what you said. My own preference would have been if they listed it as "new - other".

Then again, Eastman is located the other side of LA from the store. It is possible they are a dealer. If so, it could be there is a price increase. Or this shop discounts a bit less than others. Or, they are figuring in the cost of shipping in the price. Makes it easier for the buyer as they won't have to wait for an invoice.

Again, I don't know any of this. Playing devil's advocate, if you will.

Plus, if I really wanted one, and right now, this might be on my radar. And while I do want one, am going to wait until the mandolin fund gets built back up.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

20. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Yes, interesting that they are so close to Eastman. It does make me wonder how they acquired it.

These are on my radar too but I'm in no hurry. Eventually, production will catch up with demand. Then they will actually be in stores where they can be seen and tried. And sooner or later, there will be used ones on the market. And, if Eastman follows their previoys pattern of behavior, there will probably be substantially reduced B stock examples with minor cosmetic defects. All of this will come to pass if we are just patient. I agree though, that if I just had to have one now for whatever reason, I'd consider it.

I checked out the Dietz Brothers website. They look like they have a very large stock of instruments. Hardly a "little" store. But what I found most unusual is that their website communicates quite extensively about lessons, band instrument rentals, instrument repairs, and so forth, but nothing at all about their inventory or on line sales. It would appear that they go against the current in this regard. Seems their only on line sales are through eBay, currently only five instruments. Very odd in these days of everybody selling online. I guess they must do well with local sales.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

You guys are jumping to some big/wrong conclusions here... Eastman lists them as a dealer if you do a quick zip code check on their site. They likely have many we're all not aware of that don't do the volume of sales that stores that advertise here do. Doesn't make them any less credible. Their website is pretty old and low tech and likely not capable of e-commerce, as well as hard for them to keep up to date in comparison to just using EBAY and Reverb to manage their online sales. Many local stores without digital marketing-savvy/budget do that. That's a big reason these web platforms exist.

And as for the price, they are just compensating for shipping costs and ebay costs, and possibly less attractive wholesale costs than bigger stores. It's also not so far off where others are selling it, especially given the demand. If I was 29th in line at Elderly and really wanted it, I'd probably spend $26 bucks more. Or just call them directly and try to work it out.

BTW, the one I found was at a pretty small local store just hanging around waiting to be picked up, so it's pretty likely others are out there, or waiting lists are shorter elsewhere (like spruce tree).

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradinbrooklyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks Brad, for confirming they are a dealer. It could easily be confirmed by a phone call whether or not this is truly new with warranty. If it is what it appears to be, it would indeed be worthy of consideration if one were tired of waiting for the big dealers to get them. And kudos to Eastman for making sure their small dealers are getting some stock, too.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

There is also one on reverb. I want one but just don't have the funds yet, so here is another chance for someone

https://reverb.com/item/6332384-east...ctave-mandolin
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

mandolin store showing in stock now too

Got that "out for delivery" excited feeling this morning. Hoping to duck out early from work.

What do folks suggest for strap on an a-5 style octave? I really like he neotech/neoprene strap on my banjo. Will mandolin version fit (looking to loop under fretboard extension not by nut). Or should i get another banjo strap?

So have gotten a little time to play on the Eastman and first impressions are really strong especially after digging into it for 15-20 minutes and getting the new instrument initial break in loosening. Will wait for more formal review when I play it with group tomorrow but it really packs a nice punch and definitely offers the kind of OM sound I was after. Briefly owned a gypsy OM but never bonded with it. Scale was a little shorter and G course didn't ever settle in right for me. I'd say overall it was pretty muddy in comparison to the note separation I think this one is capable of.

Setup overall feels ok. A little high on G course higher on the neck if I had to complain about anything. I definitely want to change strings soon and see what affects it has and work on action overall at some point. First need to see how much is just related to stretch of longer scale, reminding myself to use guitar fret fingering, etc.

String set recommendations for those who have?
    Last edited by bradinbrooklyn; Sep-21-2017 at 9:50am.

Just received mine at work from Elderly. Spent a lunch hour with it on a park bench for a test drive and I'm impressed. It exceeds my expectations. I imagined I'd find things about it—maunufactured under the pressure of backorder—that I didn't like. But that didn't happen. It is a beautifully designed and executed instrument. The maple is about as plain wrap as any I've seen on a mando family instrument, but I'd prefer it that way to one that's trying hard to be fancy but just isn't. The spruce top grain is very even and tight. The ebony is dark and consistent. The overall aesthetics are clean, elegant, and sublime. I bought D'Addario EJ-72 light mandola strings guessing I would want more low end out of it, but that exceeds my expectations too. Very balanced response, volume, and tone. I'm a bit unsure of the tuners—they seem a little sticky, but that could just be a matter of some graphite in the bushings or nut slots. Setup out of the box is great. I'm a consummate fiddler/adjuster in that regard, and other than the aforementioned graphite I doubt I'll do a thing to it. I will hit the ebony fretboard and bridge lightly with some lemon oil, however, as they have that parched, newly-manufactuered look and feel. That's about it.

This instrument debuted at NAMM just nine months ago to the day! That Eastman could get them out in quantity in that amount of time is extraordinary in my estimation, and all the noise about over-zealous marketing, sales, backorder, etc. is laughable at this point. True, they didn't come with a hard case as originally thought, but Eastman and the dealers were all clear about that change. Take it or leave it. And the gig bag...will it protect the instrument in an aircraft cargo hold? Sure...if it's placed inside a legit flight case. Will it protect the instrument around the house, or going to and from a local music gathering? Absolutely...with the due care that any decent instrument ought to get in similar circumstances. (I have to say, in 45 years of experience with stringed instruments, I've observed that people who squawk the loudest about cases tend to be the ones who do the least with the instruments they contain. Same with tuning keys, my note above notwithstanding.)

The Eastman MDO-305 is a tremendous value and fills a void in the marketplace that nothing else touches. It's worth having, and waiting for. That's my 2¢.

I find it interesting that your maple back is as plain as you've seen, but the picture on Elderly's website shows a nicely flamed example. True, no two are going to be alike, and the website description makes that clear, but based on that picture one might be forgiven for thinking theirs would be figured in a similar fashion.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A