Thread: How and how fast can I play this?

Default How and how fast can I play this?

Hello,

My lack of knowledge needs help, please.

I 'd like to play a looped arpeggio pattern and can't play it more speed than 100 bpm.
    I don't know if I pick it right.

The pattern is all in triplets in a four times bar.
    No matter the fretted notes, the string picking order is:
    GDA EAD GDA EAD... and again
    I pick it this way:
    DDD UUU DDD UUU...
    (I separate each beat on writing but all the notes are played the same length.)

Is there a more convenient way to pick it?
    What bpm an experienced player playing this with the right technique could reasonably hope to reach?

Sorry if my question seems odd.
    I'm not triing to make a "who plays the fastest" challenge.
    But I need to know if my efforts to play it more fast and fluid are worth or impossible.

Thanks in advance and have a good day!
    My english is not perfect.
    Nor my french anyway...

Default Re: How and how fast can I play this?

Try playing DUD, or just straight alternate picking (DUDUDU). Thile plays straight alternate picking most of the time when he's playing fast, and he can go as fast as it gets. If that doesn't feel correct at first, give it some time. You could also try DDU DUD if it flows better for you. Focus on making up and down strokes sound as equal in tone/volume as possible.

Practice slowly until the patterns are ingrained in your muscle memory, then speed it up. How fast you can go depends on your practice and talent. Good luck!
    Chuck

Back to back triplets feature in Irish hornpipes and this question is addressed by Paddy Cummings in his course on the online academy of Irish music (he's a member here so he'll correct me if I am mis-representing him). For anything less than 4 back to back triplets he would play them DUD DUD. For 4 or more - like your example -he would switch to a straight DUDU, like CES mentions Thile does it. I think the point is that it is easier to get them flowing at speed with a DUDU but it does involve learning to initiate a triplet on an up stroke. Also note that this is all completely independent of what string you are playing - this is a right hand technique which doesn't depend on the string you are playing (like most strict pick direction techniques).

Alternate picking (DUDU) is always faster than consecutive down or upstrokes, because you're not wasting a "return" move with the pick.

The situation is a little different if the pattern is moving across adjacent strings, because you're moving in the direction of the string crossing. But I think alternate picking is still better for maintaining a steady rhythm.

The only time I ever use consecutive strokes in the same direction is when emphasizing a rhythm pattern, like the typical DUD DUD pattern in an Irish jig, or if I break an otherwise alternating picking pattern to emphasize the start of a phrase on a downstroke.

I'm not sure what kind of effect you want...but I would just sweep pick this,,one controlled down and one graceful and controlled up...with practice you can hit wicked speed....

6. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

For what it is worth, I think it is a mistake to adopt picking patterns that deviate from D-U-D-U UNLESS it is to achieve a particular, specific, effect (like the lilt of D-U-D, D-U-D in consecutive triplets). I would think that with practice, the passage described could be played very fast with a regular D-U picking pattern.

I prefer straight alternate picking, even on string changes.
    Last edited by Andy Hatfield; Jun-18-2017 at 5:59am. Reason: Adding to it

I would agree with every one here, why waste the stroke going by the string when you can be playing it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks for interest!

I tried different methods you mentioned:

-"...but I would just sweep pick this,,one controlled down and one graceful and controlled up..."
    This seems to be the faster and easier for me.
    It's a bit tricky to be regular with the tempo, but I feel that with practice I will manage with this quite soon.

-The strict DU method you mentioned seems very harder and far more slower for me.
    The problem is jumping to the right string without hiting another one on the way.
    I think it will be long time before I master this.
    But I can easily imagine all the advantages this technique gives once mastered.

So I'm gonna try to practice both techniques.
    Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks all!
    My english is not perfect.
    Nor my french anyway...