Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions . . .

===========

Default Decisions, Decisions . . .

I will keep it as brief as possible -

After years of playing and listening, I have decided that I am an oval hole guy.

I love f-style mandolins, but an F-2/F-4 style mandolin is pretty much out of the question for a while, because of a tight budget (hopefully under $600, or so). I am thinking that a Kentucky KM-272 should be my new mandolin of choice. ( I already have a Washburn M1SDL that I really like, that I can use as a knock-around instrument.)

Advice (aside from 'play before you buy' or 'get a pro set-up'), recommendations, alternative suggestions, affirmations, etc. are welcome.

Default Re: Decisions, Decisions . . .

Is there really a significant difference between your existing Washburn and the Kentucky model you're considering? If you already like the Washburn, what is the Kentucky going to give you that it doesn't? It seems like it wouldn't be much of an upgrade. Or would it?

If you're already OK with the $600 price point, you're *almost* in the territory where you could find a vintage Gibson oval-hole A-style. To me, that would be a real upgrade.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

There are some truly nice looking (don't know about the sound) oval hole F style mandolins being sold in the UK under the Ashbury Label by Hobgoblin Music. They do have a web presence in the US. They look good, again I don't know about the sound.

http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/s...oval-soundhol/
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I love f-style mandolins, but an F-2/F-4 style mandolin is pretty much out of the question for a while, because of a tight budget (hopefully under $600, or so). I am thinking that a Kentucky KM-272 should be my new mandolin of choice. ( I already have a Washburn M1SDL that I really like, that I can use as a knock-around instrument.) Advice (aside from 'play before you buy' or 'get a pro set-up'), recommendations, alternative suggestions, affirmations, etc. are welcome.
    While $600 will buy you a serviceable factory assembled carved oval, it could instead be used to purchase a superior independently built flattop oval.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Did you see this item on the café front page, above the fold?

Gibson A Jr. snakehead well under market value on eBay. Local pickup only
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

===========

Tobin - Yes, those are my questions exactly. Am I correct in assuming that the Kentucky is a step up in tone and volume, given the solid wood back and sides? I am also leaning towards the Kentucky because the body meets the neck at the 14th fret, not at the 10th, like the Washburn, or an old Gibson. The Washburn neck also has a volute on it, which sometimes feels a bit uncomfortable, as opposed to the Kentucky neck without a volute.

Mike - I personally have not seen the Ashbury/Hobgoblin's, but will look into them.

Ph - Good idea. I had been looking into some old Gibson Army/Navy's before, but the newer ones somehow slipped my mind.

7. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

paddle head a-model Gibson

or

A pancake!

So, that's a +1 and another +1. Let's simplify to +2!

(Right there with you in general, but I'd miss an arched-top f-hole mandolin.)

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

===========

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Did you see this item on the café front page, above the fold?
    Like you, I am on the east coast - the Gibson is on the west coast . . . the cost of 'local pickup' would not be pretty . . . .

Blog Entries

Well you never know. If you had a friend coming east anyway or something, or a business trip coming up, or a ton of frequent flyer miles just laying around...

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

careless post

The entire staff
    funny....

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Take at look at an Eastman MD504. New about $700. Used maybe a lot less.

Really enjoy oval holes; my Weber Custom Vintage A has become my go to for quite a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    Take at look at an Eastman MD504. New about $700. Used maybe a lot less.
    The Eastman MD304 retails for $479 at several places I checked. I'm not sure what the difference is in their models that changes the price that much, but the 304 looks like a decent mandolin. I played one of these a year or two ago in a store while I was wasting time waiting for my wife. I was actually quite surprised at how good it sounded and played.

It does have the shorter neck, though, like a vintage Gibson. If Mike is looking for a longer neck, his choices may be pretty limited.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    The Eastman MD304 retails for $479 at several places I checked. I'm not sure what the difference is in their models that changes the price that much, but the 304 looks like a decent mandolin. I played one of these a year or two ago in a store while I was wasting time waiting for my wife. I was actually quite surprised at how good it sounded and played.

It does have the shorter neck, though, like a vintage Gibson. If Mike is looking for a longer neck, his choices may be pretty limited.
    Good to know about the shorter neck. Admittedly I don't have any personal experience with either Eastman model. Just putting out the suggestion based on some positive comments from a couple of folks I know.

Going from a $200 solid-top mandolin to a $600 instrument, presumably with a carved top and solid back and sides, is not exactly "churning," but not too far from it. Add about $100, and you could get an Eastman MD-504, all hand-carved solid wood, but it also has 9-10 frets to the body, which is close to standard for most oval-holes.

The Ashbury is heat-pressed, like your Washburn, not carved, though it does have a solid spruce top. Gretsch does make a G-9350 oval-hole, solid-top F-model, but it also has ten frets to the body. Also, heat-pressed, not carved. And it's an acoustic-electric, which your may or may not like. The G-9350 lists for near $1K, but is generally available discounted for $5-600.

The long-neck, oval-hole instrument you want may or may not be available in your price range. In your shoes, I'd go for the Eastman MD-504, which probably has the best work-person-ship, but you'd have to compromise on neck length.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Ph - Good idea. I had been looking into some old Gibson Army/Navy's before, but the newer ones somehow slipped my mind.
    While I too have considered vintage Gibsons and loved the tone of (relatively) older Flatiron pancakes, I prefer the playability of more modern builds such as the Redline Traveler. I have owned two and am still considering another. One is available used on Reverb within negotiating range of budget: https://reverb.com/item/5269141-redl...odTnILkQ&pla=1
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

===========

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    In your shoes, I'd go for the Eastman MD-504, which probably has the best work-person-ship, but you'd have to compromise on neck length.
    In all honesty, I am a little leery about Eastman's because I have a 415 - and, to be precise, I don't care for the tone.

Yes, I understand that I am comparing apples to oranges with 'F' holes and 'Oval' holes - and my Eastman may sound better with some different strings, etc. . . . but, you know how it goes - once the dog bites you, you are very careful about petting it again.

Am I wrong about not trusting the Eastman tone on an oval hole model?

I know that I can find sound samples on the internet, but sometimes the sound quality on videos is so bad that you almost can't tell if it is the recording or the mandolin that sounds bad. There is a common internet video of Jimmy Gaudreau reviewing a Kentucky 272, and even though the audio quality of the video is not good, the mandolin still sounds very nice . . . but then again, I probably play the mandolin more like Jimmy Carter than Jimmy Gaudreau - so there is no guarantee that it will sound that good in MY hands . . .

Can you tell that I probably think about all of this stuff WAY too much?

(sigh) Maybe I'll just take up the tambourine instead.
    Last edited by MikeZito; Jun-13-2017 at 9:10pm.

19. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

(sigh) Maybe I'll just take up the tambourine instead.
    Before you go all crazy on the tambourine, you'll need to decide what type to get. Here's a good thread to get you started.

Get the Redline. Don't hesitate. I picked one up used a while back, and I can't put it down. I can't imagine you not being happy with it unless there is just something about the flattop sound you dislike. These are high quality instruments.

22. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Before you go all crazy on the tambourine, you'll need to decide what type to get. .
    . . .
    A green one?

"The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaycat For This Useful Post:

===========

Oh, that Lemon Pipers video was no help . . . I get a seriously bad case of GAS whenever I see a Gibson Gold Top!

===========

Quote Originally Posted by trabb View Post
    Before you go all crazy on the tambourine, you'll need to decide what type to get. Here's a good thread to get you started.
    Before moving on to mandolin, I was a percussion junkie for a while; tambourines, shakers, bongos, vibraslaps, woodblocks, cowbells, guiros, chimes, claves . . . yep, I had it bad.

I sorely wanted for the Eastman ovals to measure up to my 505 but the ones I have tried never did. To my ears they sounded tight and bloodless. I played a Kentucky 272 I was very pleased. I almost bought it right on the spot. It's has a different vibe than a Gibson oval but a great instrument for the money.

A couple of years ago I tried a Jimmy Moon flat-top oval hole in a store in Scotland. I was astounded by how loud it was, and how beautiful it sounded. A used flat-top from Redline, Poe or Crystal Forest wouldn't stretch your budget too much, and would put you in a completely different class of instrument from the Washburn. It would probably leave most Eastman ovals in the shade, too.

29. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

I owned an Eastman oval. It was a decent mandolin, but it did not compare to my Redline or the Flatiron pancakes and Big Muddy/Mid Missouri flattops I've owned.

31. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

From what i've read on here, & also from the personal experience of a US Cafe member with whom i'm in daily touch, & who owned one, keep your eyes peeled for a 'used' Kentucky KM900. By all accounts they're superb in every way. The design is based on the design of the only Gibson Lloyd Loar produced "A" style,& apparently they live up to their heritage. If you currently have a mandolin,use that & save up a bit more cash to buy a KM900 if you can find one - it could be very well worth the effort & extra cash,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM900.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	158190 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kentucky-KM505.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	158191

PS - Although i haven't played a KM900,i have played it's little sister,the KM505 & for the price,it was seriously good.However,i'd still opt for trying to find a KM900.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.