Thread: Airline Checker - Airline policies re.musical instruments.

Default Airline Checker - Airline policies re.musical instruments.

Last year,i contacted the Manchester UK branch of our Musician's Union.re the perennial problem of taking musical instruments on board aircraft. I contacted them again a few days ago after reading the account of the violinist virtually 'assaulted' while trying to take her violin on board.

It would seem that there's now an Airline Checker,which outlines the policies of various airlines. I haven't looked at it thoroughly myself,but here it is + an example of our UK British Airlines policy :-
    https://www.fim-musicians.org/es/airlines-list
    https://www.fim-musicians.org/es/air...itish-airways/

This has been put together by the ''Federation Of International Musicians'',so it should have some credence.
    I hope that it might be of interest & indeed useful,
    Ivan
    PS - I have to say that the British Airways policy is as clear as mud !!!. Quote - "as part of,but not in addition to..." What in heaven's name does that mean ?. If you have 2 items - are they 'part of' your allowance,or is one ''in addition to'' the other ??. ''Questions will be asked in the house''.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Airline Checker - Airline policies re.musical instruments.

I think i ca clarify BA's policy

Their allowance varies according to route and cabin. For example of flights within Europe in Economy you're allowed one carry on plus a laptop bag or handbag. So I would assume that you can carry on an instrument plus a laptop/handbag.

Hi OCT - - I understand what you mean - but !. The very words ''i assume'' shouldn't be needed these days. The whole point in this matter is to get rid of any uncertainties at all. What we need as a 100%,perfectly clear,understandable by everybody, ruling where no assumptions are needed. The words '' musical instrument'' don't appear in the BA notes. So - IMO,the wording should read :-
    " 1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus 1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in) OR one musical instrument ''
    (size / type to be specified).

Only that way could we be (almost) 100% certain of re.being allowed to take an instrument on board.

If you'd worked in the aircraft industry,you'd soon come to realise the absolute need for clarity & unambiguity. Get things wrong & it can go very bad indeed !!.
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Hi OCT - - I understand what you mean - but !. The very words ''i assume'' shouldn't be needed these days. The whole point in this matter is to get rid of any uncertainties at all. What we need as a 100%,perfectly clear,understandable by everybody, ruling where no assumptions are needed. The words '' musical instrument'' don't appear in the BA notes. So - IMO,the wording should read :-
    " 1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)

plus 1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in) OR one musical instrument ''
    (size / type to be specified).

Only that way could we be (almost) 100% certain of re.being allowed to take an instrument on board.
    Totally agree!

If you'd worked in the aircraft industry,you'd soon come to realise the absolute need for clarity & unambiguity. Get things wrong & it can go very bad indeed !!.
    Ivan
    I have and should know better! Guilty as charged
    Last edited by OneChordTrick; Jun-13-2017 at 8:11am. Reason: Changing emoticon

5. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

From OCT - "Guilty as charged ..",. Been there / done that / wrote the book !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.