Thread: Stores with good mandolin collections in/near OKC

Question Stores with good mandolin collections in/near OKC

Good morning everyone,

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

I've been playing for a little while, with a Kentucky KM-150. Good little mandolin for the price, but I am planning to use my Christmas bonus this year to upgrade to a nice-but-still-reasonable F-model. I've been researching this a while, mostly through these forums. However, I also see lots of discussion of how you should actually play some instruments before you buy...makes perfect sense to me, especially since this one will probably be with me quite a long time (I'm not ready to lay down $3-4K for a mandolin, as I'm not yet convinced my skills will EVER be worthy of something even in that range).

My trouble is, the local music stores I have found here in Oklahoma City don't have much in the way of mandolins, if they have anything at all. The only place I know of that's relatively close to here and might have a decent selection of mandolins is Double Stop Fiddle Shop in Guthrie. However, that's nearly an hour's drive and I don't want to make that haul unless I know I can get my hands on several (meaning 5-6 at least) different instruments.

So, can anyone recommend a store? Within OKC is obviously preferred, but I'm willing to go as far as Tulsa, Wichita, or even DFW if need be.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stores with good mandolin collections in/near OKC

I can't really help you with OKC, but can say that a couple of hour drive isn't really a big issue prior to making even a few hundred dollar investment.
    I recently went out on a limb and purchased a mandola built buy a builder little known up here in the rust belt. AND, I am glad I did. I did much research and pulled the trigger based on other people"s recommendations and testimonials. If you send me a private message I can possibly lead you to a test drive in OKC. Good luck
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

3. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

I'm not aware of a music store here in Wichita that carries a wide selection of mandolins.

Closer to you, Oklahoma Vintage Guitars in El Reno looks like they have a good selection.

The Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield in September has a number of music vendors including mandolins. In addition to those listed, Mass Street Music from Lawrence usually has a very large booth. There are several bluegrass festivals in Oklahoma and they might have music vendors, as well.

Good luck and good shopping.

5. The following members say thank you to StuartE for this post:

I don't think Oklahoma Vintage Guitar is still in business.

Byron always has a handful of decent mandolins. Honest Ron's will have some Webers. Lone Wolf Guitars usually has a few.

8. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Nothing at all in Tulsa. I recommend doing what I did. Buy online and send it straight to Lou Stiver in Polk, PA to set it up. Sadly there's only one jam a year near Tulsa.

Not a lot going on in Oklahoma.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll look into your suggestions. I'm planning to go to the International Bluegrass Festival up in Guthrie, come October, and I'm hoping maybe there will be some up there.

Can anyone recommend a place in Dallas-Ft. Worth area, maybe? Or perhaps Denver? DFW is only about 3 hours from here, but if there's a place down there with a good selection, it will be worth a long day trip. And I have relatives in the Denver area and visit semi-regularly, so that could bear some fruit also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    Not a lot going on in Oklahoma.
    OKC has the fastest cars in the nation, according to Street Outlaws........

Hey man, might see if they have a Firey Music Company or Firey Brothers Music there in OKC. I'm in Tulsa, I havent been in a long time myself but they used to have a decent sized selction of mandos well over 5-6.. but this has been years ago. And if you dont mind the drive, give them a call(there are 2 locations in the Tulsa area that i know of right off the bat.. one is in sand springs and the other is on sheridan in Tulsa probably around 15th or so). Also if you come this way, be sure to call Guitar House (on Admiral between sheridan and memorial). Been a long time since i was in there also, but they may be worth looking into as well. Hope this helps.

I used to visit both places frequently to buy new strings, picks, and equipment.. but they put a Guitar Venter here in Tulsa.. now you can get pretty much everything a little cheaper there. Speaking of GC.. I have never paid attention to their selection of Mandos.. I dont think its very impressive. But might look into them if OKC doesnt have a GC(I'm sure they do though).

14. The following members say thank you to Spock89 for this post:

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

This is way farther than you'd want to drive, but I think you'll like knowing about Big Muddy Mandolin in Missouri (formerly Mid-Missouri Mandolin). You can get a solid wood instrument for well under $1k.

I have a Mid-Missouri, and it was a nice step up from the $50 Fender I started with. I recently got something a little fancier than the Mid-Missouri, but I still like the Missouri mando a lot. Loud, with a warm, pretty voice.
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; Jun-11-2017 at 7:45pm.

16. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post:

Fiddler's Green in Austin if you want to go a little further south than DFW. Mass Street music in Lawrence Ks or Bradford and Franzke in KCMO.

18. The following members say thank you to Kevin Stueve for this post: