Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Estate of Bill Monroe Offers Rare Ownership of Prized Possessions

Blog Entries

Default Estate of Bill Monroe Offers Rare Ownership of Prized Possessions

Uncle Pen's Cabin

Not sure what to make of this. I'm sure the internet will have plenty of opinions about it though. This just appeared online as a press release from Webster Public Relations, representing the Monroe Estate.

Get in line now to buy the the name and likeness to Bill Monroe, BillMonroe.com, Uncle Pen's cabin, hundreds of other miscellaneous items clear down to the man's back brace.

This information gleaned here word for word.

---------------

Bill Monroe's Name & Likeness, Uncle Pen's Cabin, and more being offered

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Fans of the “Father of Bluegrass Music” have a unique opportunity to own the rights to the name and likeness to Bill Monroe. Regarded as the man who started the format, Monroe joined the WSM Grand Ole Opry in 1939, and was a member for almost six decades – until his passing in September 1996. One of the few members of both the Country Music Hall of Fame and The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Monroe’s musical legacy included legendary stints on Columbia Records and MCA / Decca, with whom he was associated for forty years. Monroe cast a shadow over music by influencing a wide variety of musical artists.

“I’d still rather listen to Bill and Charlie Monroe than any current record. That’s what America is all about, to me.” / Bob Dylan

“In all of history, he’s the biggest single influence in Country Music. And, he didn’t just influence Country Music, he influenced music in general.” / Ricky Skaggs

Offering the name, image, and likeness of such an American icon is something that is both an honor and a privilege. “While at Buddy Lee Attractions, I was the agent for Bill Monroe for over ten years. I thought of Mr. Monroe as a national treasure. He was like a grandfather to me. We were good friends,” says Tony Conway. The ownership also includes rights to the name “Blue Grass Boys,” which was the name of Bill’s band – a who’s who of greats that over the years has included Flatt & Scruggs, Gordon Terry, Mac Wiseman, Del McCoury, and Stringbean (David Akeman).

In addition to the name and likeness offering – also available are the rights to the BillMonroe.com website, fans can also own several exciting parts of the Bill Monroe legacy – beginning with the historic Uncle Pen’s Cabin in his hometown of Rosine, Kentucky. A home that has special significance in the history of Bluegrass Music, it’s where young Bill went to live with his Uncle after the passing of both parents in 1927. As the only child among his siblings who went to live with Pendleton Vandiver, Monroe received an education about the music of the area from his Uncle through the historic fiddle tunes he would learn – a musical legend that he would eventually take to stages around the world. Bill left the home in 1929, but the music he was exposed to would take hold. Monroe crafted the iconic “Uncle Pen” as a tribute. Over the years, the song was covered by artists such as Hank Williams, Jr., Buck Owens, and Ricky Skaggs – who made it the first Bluegrass song to top the charts in over two decades in 1984. The song received a BMI Award for over one million plays. The home has been in the Monroe family since Bill’s son James bought it in 1973, building the cabin with the original logs. Over the years, many of Bill’s contemporaries have visited the site, including Don Reno, Jimmy Martin, and Lester Flatt, and thousands of Bill’s fans from around the world.

Also being offered in one separate bundle is Bill Monroe memorabilia and personal items, the likes of which has never been available – and will never be available to the public again. Included among the items are over 1,800 personal and business checks – including some written to Earl Scruggs, Ralph Stanley, and Johnny Paycheck; two knives and three wrist watches owned by Monroe, his back brace, social security card, ATM Card and Gas Cards, Christmas Cards, thousands of his personal papers and collectibles, suits, coats, shoes, ties, and even his Last Will and Testament. The collection also includes his own personal record collection, and one of his fiddles – which he kept for sixty-seven years (and has his initials inscribed inside of it!) and an extensive merchandise collection that includes T-Shirts and CD’s of Bill’s, son James’s, caps, 8 by 10 pictures, commemorative plates – and even his own mailing list, with over 10,000 addresses!

But, there’s even more. There are well over 250 live recordings from Bill’s Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival that will be offered in one exclusive package. Monroe started the festival in 1967, and it thrives to this day – fifty years after its’ inception. Over the years, performers who have played Bean Blossom include Blue Highway, Chris Hillman, J.D. Crowe & The New South, John Hartford, Patty Loveless, and Rhonda Vincent.

And, then….there’s parts of the famous Gibson 1923 Lloyd Loar that is on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame. An extra set of tuning keys and a bridge that was replaced. These items from the most famous mandolin in the world are priceless!

It goes without saying that this is going to be a private opportunity of historic proportions, and there will be interest from buyers around the world. Interested parties should contact Tony Conway, Conway Entertainment Group, the exclusive agent for the Bill Monroe Estate, at 615-724-1818 for more information.

Tony Conway
    President/CEO
    The Bill Monroe Estate
    c/o Conway Entertainment Group
    1516 Broadway #500
    Nashville, TN 37203
    615-724-1818

Default Re: Estate of Bill Monroe Offers Rare Ownership of Prized Possess

I'll say it: this is pretty ridiculous.

What they continue to do to this day with Elvis's stuff is ridiculous. I'm sure all of it will sell and most be worth very little.

Before my opinion becomes fully formed, I would be interested to know who currently owns this property and the rights, and why they're selling it off. Is it because the legacy of Bill Monroe has passed its prime, and is no longer a money-maker? Is it because they're in dire financial straits and need to liquidate?

I would think that potential buyers would want to know what they're walking into, from an investment perspective.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Promoted under the famous 'there's one born every minute' marketing plan.

And, then….there’s parts of the famous Gibson 1923 Lloyd Loar that is on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame. An extra set of tuning keys and a bridge that was replaced. These items from the most famous mandolin in the world are priceless!

Gulp...seems the seeds are being sown for a 'priceless' price!

Tony Conway, making history his windfall.

I would like to hear from an entertainment lawyer about exactly what the name, likeness and image, rights, comprise. Is there anyone out there who has a serious understanding of this topic, and is willing to take the time to explain?
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Think of what could be done with that name and likeness offering:

Digital recreation as a hologram, playing in your band.
    Start a new food chain -- "Bill Monroe's Bluegrass-fed Beef."
    Or more relevant to our interests -- "Bill Monroe Loar" brand of mandolins.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Checking the Conway Entertainment Group website, while his artist roster isn't that extensive, he does manage some pretty active artists, as well as a couple of estates. It's an old-school country type roster, and he's been in it long enough that at some point he may have managed, or been on Monroe's management team. At any rate, he's simply a rep for the estate, it doesn't look like he's the owner of the estate. It looks to me like he's been given marching orders by the estate to raise some money while there's still some value.

Was that the original air conditioning unit that Uncle Pen used? It looks like it's in pretty good shape.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Yeah, looks like a Trane 45....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

===========

Granted - I have a limited knowledge of law, but if I understand the wording of this properly, the buyer would own exclusive rights to EVERYTHING associated with Bill Monroe - this means present and future marketing rights to anything with his name, all of his still-lawful possessions, and quite possibly residual payments on all future financial earnings on anything associated with Bill. (Kind of like Lisa Marie selling off most of Elvis' estate about 10 years ago.) Move over Graceland - here comes UnclePenLand.

This will be interesting . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Was that the original air conditioning unit that Uncle Pen used? It looks like it's in pretty good shape.
    Could be! There's one way to find out. Wire the fan motor to blow in reverse. If fiddle music comes out, it was his.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I am in complete agreement with you Scott, I don't know what to make of it either.
    There's profit being made by feeding off the bones one more time.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I don't know, that back brace included makes this offer awfully attractive...

Are we sure it isn't TIM Conway that's offering this?

http://www.timconway.com/
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

20. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Granted - I have a limited knowledge of law, but if I understand the wording of this properly, the buyer would own exclusive rights to EVERYTHING associated with Bill Monroe - this means present and future marketing rights to anything with his name, all of his still-lawful possessions, and quite possibly residual payments on all future financial earnings on anything associated with Bill.
    I don't think so.

IANAL, but it didn't mention copyright to the recordings and films. Or payments for mechanical rights, BMI or ASCAP payments for songs he wrote. Now that would be worth some money in the long term.

My first thought when I read this was "James." But--what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Think of what could be done with that name and likeness offering:
    Bill can finally take his seat between James Dean and Humphrey Bogart in the Nighthawks diner while being served by Elvis as Marilyn finds the whole thing quite hilarious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brokendreams.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	157926

This leaves me with a creepy feeling. Bill Monroe's ATM card? His shoes, for God's sake? His back brace? Why do I hear an echo of this part of Dickens' A Christmas Carol:

["...Open that bundle, old Joe, and let me know the value of it. Speak out plain. I'm not afraid to be the first, nor afraid for them to see it. We know pretty well that we were helping ourselves, before we met here, I believe. It's no sin. Open the bundle, Joe."

But the gallantry of her friends would not allow of this; and the man in faded black, mounting the breach first, produced his plunder. It was not extensive. A seal or two, a pencil-case, a pair of sleeve-buttons, and a brooch of no great value, were all. They were severally examined and appraised by old Joe, who chalked the sums he was disposed to give for each upon the wall, and added them up into a total when he found there was nothing more to come.

"That's your account," said Joe, "and I wouldn't give another sixpence, if I was to be boiled for not doing it. Who's next?"

Mrs Dilber was next. Sheets and towels, a little wearing apparel, two old-fashioned silver teaspoons, a pair of sugar-tongs, and a few boots. Her account was stated on the wall in the same manner.

"I always give too much to ladies. It's a weakness of mine, and that's the way I ruin myself," said old Joe. "That's your account. If you asked me for another penny, and made it an open question, I'd repent of being so liberal and knock off half-a-crown."

"And now undo my bundle, Joe," said the first woman.

Joe went down on his knees for the greater convenience of opening it, and having unfastened a great many knots, dragged out a large and heavy roll of some dark stuff.

"What do you call this?" said Joe. "Bed-curtains?"

"Ah!" returned the woman, laughing and leaning forward on her crossed arms. "Bed-curtains."

"You don't mean to say you took them down, rings and all, with him lying there?" said Joe.

"Yes I do," replied the woman. "Why not?"

"You were born to make your fortune," said Joe," and you'll certainly do it."

"I certainly shan't hold my hand, when I can get anything in it by reaching it out, for the sake of such a man as he was, I promise you, Joe," returned the woman coolly. "Don't drop that oil upon the blankets, now."

"His blankets?" asked Joe.

"Whose else's do you think?" replied the woman. "He isn't likely to take cold without them, I dare say."

"I hope he didn't die of any thing catching. Eh?" said old Joe, stopping in his work, and looking up.

"Don't you be afraid of that," returned the woman. "I an't so fond of his company that I'd loiter about him for such things, if he did. Ah. you may look through that shirt till your eyes ache; but you won't find a hole in it, nor a threadbare place. It's the best he had, and a fine one too. They'd have wasted it, if it hadn't been for me."

"What do you call wasting of it?" asked old Joe.

"Putting it on him to be buried in, to be sure," replied the woman with a laugh. "Somebody was fool enough to do it, but I took it off again. If calico an't good enough for such a purpose, it isn't good enough for anything. It's quite as becoming to the body. He can't look uglier than he did in that one."
    /SIZE]

Divvying up Scrooge's effects, after his death...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Uncle Pen's cabin really was handicap accessible back in the day?
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

I just have to say that this whole thing is just off. There's something sour and cheap and foul about this, and I don't like it.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Boy, this has the potential to turn into a travesty...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluemoonkentucky.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	355.7 KB 
ID:	157931

30. The following members say thank you to Dave Bradford for this post:

Between the social security card and the old checks there's probably enough on sale here to rebuild and steal his identity. Be wary of any William S. Monroes you meet in the next couple years.

32. The following members say thank you to john.m for this post:

Blog Entries

Yep all those festivals, tuition courses, retrospective collections and books that want to associate themselves with his name or put his image on anything associated with him will have to stump up for each use once they negotiate it. Could be a few book titles, album covers and banners changing. I presume those who already are using his name or image to sell their wares will be the most interested bidders.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin