Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

The MD415-GD giveaway was a nice gesture and I hope it has drawn people to the forum and to The Mandolin Store. I am a new member and enjoy hanging out at Mandolin Cafe and reading the posts. My first posts drew slim to no response but that in itself was informative as it told me Breedlove mandos are not that hot of an item. I have an old Wabash (worse than a beater) mando and am having problems fitting my fingers into chords but will continue the quest before venturing into any purchase. My son who is a decent guitar player picked up my Wabash and played a "by ear version" of Bill Monroe's "My Last Days on Earth" that sounded good enough to prompt him to purchase a $50 Rogue to tinker with. I play a bit of guitar, mostly for my own amusement and love the sound of a cross picked mando.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie

Hi, Eddie - welcome to the cafe. Since you have been hanging out here a bit, I guess you know how everything works. Feel free to join us in the Newbies group as we experience the joys of getting better (not necessarily good, but at least better) on the mandolin.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Good luck on your journey.
    Living in WNC, as you know,there is a hotbed of BG, OT, and Mountain Music.
    Set up properly, the Rogue should give both of you, plenty of enjoyment.
    2021 The Loar LM700 VS

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. You will get it all figured out if you keep at it. Good luck.

Welcome! Breedlove has made some mighty fine mandolins over the years, but they don't look like Bill's, and not everyone likes the wider neck and radius they use (I actually do). They've come under some (not always positive) discussion since TOH bought them and moved some (perhaps now all?) of their production to China. I played a couple of higher end models made pre-TOH at Gruhn's, and they were good mandolins, and well made. I've played 3 or 4 Crossovers, though I think they were from the laminate B and S era. One was pretty darn good, esp for the price. Two were "meh," and one was a dog (not Dawg). So, like all mandolins, and even more so in imports, there's variability, and sometimes wide variability...
    Chuck

Eddie,

Welcome to the club!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Welcome to the forum, Eddie.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the MADNESS It's quite a good bit of fun if your bored
    Loads of info on whatever your lookin for Mandowise anyway!