Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Musicians and hats

Default Musicians and hats

To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes a hat is just a hat. But I can't help thinking there's something else going on there as well. Hats help concentration maybe or is something to hide behind?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Musicians and hats

This I'm going to love to know. I'm about to do three shows at the end of June wearing a huge red txapeldun with feathers.
    I'm definitely hoping it is something to hide under. Then again wearing something like that there is only one option, act bigger than the hat.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    To paraphrase Sigmund Freud, sometimes a hat is just a hat. But I can't help thinking there's something else going on there as well. Hats help concentration maybe or is something to hide behind?
    Bill, I wouldn't get too heady about this.

Freud or Occam's Razor,

Indeed, a hat is just a hat. I think with the country set, its about cowboy imagery.

In all the time ive played with folks, 'cepting one who was indeed tied to his pro image as a cowboy singer, albeit he was from.....wait for it....New Jersey......

I only know of one or two players who wore hats, and that was only when we played in the sun. oh yeah, and one in my old band, who wore his new CF Martin baseball cap for about a year after he bought his D28.

ahem.....while I don't wear hats, except for costume parties, I lost my "The Gibson" baseball hat, which I never wore, but took renewed interest in when I bought my fern several years later......must be, psychological......no that's not what I meant......LOL

txapeldum , with feathers, eh , Beanzy!!!!!?????
    what colors , pray tell?

well, Bill might have a point.....LOL

I wear a hat on stage to block the over head stage lights. This lets me see the audience better.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

Many wear them to keep their bald spot from sun burn.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

===========

I have glaucoma, so certain light and/or sun angles are murder on my eyes - sometimes a hat or sunglasses are necessary, and not purely aesthetic.

That being said - women seem to like my black cowboy hat . . . . . covers my receding hairline.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Like any other piece of clothing, a hat must fulfill both a
    #1 practical and
    #2 aestetic purpose
    for me. For instance: A Panama hat against the sun, a Bowler against cold and rain. A hat indoors would violate #1.

I make an exception by having my virtual friends wear hats in my videos, sometimes.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Yes, receding hairlines are certainly a factor. In the improbable event of me ever finding myself performing under stage lights, the glare would be intense. Could be a regional thing as well. I saw a photo once of a huge banquet hall in texas filled with guys wearing their cowboy hats - looked like mushrooms and their wives out for a meal. I'd also say it's a "guy" thing. Costumes aside, women don't normally perform in hats.

I'm going step out of the cafe now and put "txapeldun with feathers" in my search engine … I may be some time ...

Blog Entries

One of the joys of having baldness is that you don't need any excuse for the hats you choose to purchase and wear.

I do have HAS (Hat Acquisition Syndrome). Fortunately my wife also has HAS (although she does not have baldness), so neither of us feel guilty. We have a hall tree that is full of hats, plus a number of hat boxes for those hats that don't hang well.

Most of the time I don't wear a hat when indoors on stage, but sometimes I do. Obviously I wouldn't hesitate to wear one when outdoors on stage, especially if the sun was pouring in.

Some hats actually allow you to hear yourself play better. Mostly the larger-brim hats do this. It is very noticeable when playing. The only problem with playing an instrument while wearing a hat is that often you have to remove the hat in order to get the instrument's strap over your shoulder and neck.

Since I wear glasses full time, when it is raining it is very nice to have a wide brim, relatively waterproof hat.

My favorite hats currently are (1) a short leather top hat and a tall leather top hat, and (2) my assortment of nicer Panama hats. If outside in very hot sunny weather, I have an extremely wide-brim cowboy hat that works very nicely.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

13. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

In Thailand, the really talented musicians (and there are many) are notable for their extremely stylish footwear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    In Thailand, the really talented musicians (and there are many) are notable for their extremely stylish footwear.
    Ha! - Remember that line from "Pretzel Logic" by Steely Dan: "You must be joking, son - where did you get those shoes?"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billkilpatrick For This Useful Post:

In Monroe's band, nobody went hat-less. And of the cowboy variety. In Flatt's band, they wore the flat things (which I thought looked odd). A few regional bands don the cowboy hats here. For me, they quickly become uncomfortable to wear; talking the ball cap ones.

Costumes aside, women don't normally perform in hats.
    But when they do ......

#######!

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to des For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm going step out of the cafe now and put "txapeldun with feathers" in my search engine … I may be some time ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	157712

Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post

Name:	IMG_1731.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	305.5 KB 
ID:	157712

Beanzy - I have one of those and a smaller basque as well. Can't wait to see you in yours ...

22. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

Beanzy 

I wear a hat every day. Got started, really, in the army, when you weren't allowed outside without a hat if you were in uniform.

I have a variety of baseball caps, all with different logos; also a stack of "newsboy" caps, another stack of "Greek fisherman's" caps, and another of the flat "driving" caps affected by Irish musicians. Downstairs I have a stack of broad-brimmed hats, from Panamas to fedoras.

I do devote a bit of thought to what I wear when I perform, other than the historical programs where I show up in 19th-century garb. Last night played a program of patriotic songs, so it was red shirt, blue pants, white vest, blue fedora. The hat's part of the overall impression I'm trying to make.

Today I'm wearing a green baseball cap from Five Islands Lobster Co. in Maine. Matches my shirt. Tomorrow, when I'm doing 19th century music at a restored mansion in Canandaigua, a straw hat from an Amish mail-order firm. Hat's part of the gear, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Utah Phillips: "Men should wear hats. Baseball hats worn backwards and sideways do not cnnstitute hat wearing or any fashion statement. If you don't have a Stetson then a Borsalino fedora will do."
    Russ Jordan

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Jordan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I do have HAS (Hat Acquisition Syndrome). Fortunately my wife also has HAS (although she does not have baldness), so neither of us feel guilty. We have a hall tree that is full of hats, plus a number of hat boxes for those hats that don't hang well.
    My wife has a chronic and incurable case of HAS. I can't even count the number of hat boxes she has, most of which are vintage. She has an entire closet plus an antique wardrobe full of hat boxes, plus at least two bedrooms with hats everywhere. Some days I'm grateful that it's not designer shoes, but at least those would take up less space! And besides, with the cost of Louise Green hats these days, shoes would probable be cheaper.

Me personally, I don't really give much thought to the hats I wear unless I know I'm going to be in the sun. But when playing music in front of others, I just wear whatever I would have worn if I weren't playing. But then again, I'm not in a band and I don't have to think about "stage presence".
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

I'm a hat wearer. Moreso outdoor jams & gigs. In fact just picked up a new fedora for some upcoming things. Often for old time music it's a ball cap. Fedora for Scandinavian music. But the new hat might be a crossover version.
    I have probably 30 hats. Only a third of which are worn on a regular basis.

The chapeau must fit the occasion. I generally wear cowboy hats of some sort but, own many differing ones, current favorite for wet weather or beach wear is a "Tilley Endurables" not their widest but, it's easier to drive in that a stiff brimmed cowboy hat!
    Caps, come and go.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

A good guitar playing friend of mine wears a "music hat" when we play outside. It has a fairly wide brim and acts as a '"shell" to reflect the sound to his ears. It can certainly help if there are no walls or ceilings around. One of the added advantages (besides rain protection) to having a covered picking area at festivals is the sound is improved underneath.

May we see you in your hat(s)? - I'll go first: my medieval-ish hat …

Name:	10548907_825736120777870_4662628097533729615_o.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	157723

I like wearing a hat on stage to keep out the glare... Most of the time I just wear a baseball cap though. If it's a more formal performance I won't wear one.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

May we see you in your hat(s)?
    Well, okay... for performance (and sometimes just around town), it's a "fiddler's cap," basically the same black wool cap with a short brim as a "Greek Fisherman's Cap" without the embroidery. Very plain, very practical in the weather up here in the Pacific Northwest, and a little more formal for performance than the baseball caps I usually wear outside the house.

Name:	mikephoto_1000x1000.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	157724

I'm still trying to come to grips with exactly when I started looking that old. Sheesh!