Thread: Mando Purchase Query

figuring it out

Default Mando Purchase Query

Folks -

<Removed by Moderator. It's a family forum. If you'd say that to your grandmother that's fine but it doesn't fly here. Feel free to search the web for a place that appreciates the Sophomore locker room humor. The posting guidelines can be found here.> I've been playing a cheapo for a couple of years, still consider myself pretty green, but boy... what fun!

I think I want to spend something in the $500 -1,000 range.. maybe more if I can sell a couple of crowns. My head is swimming. Kentucky, Breedlove, Washburn, Eastman, Loar... I've read good and bad about all of these here. I'm more for sound than fancy... I'd like a carved "F" style... Everything, EVERYTHING at my price point seems to be made in China - are there ANY quality American made mandos in my price range? I've been searching for an American Breedlove, but no luck. Also, looking for something with a bit wider fretboard - one make, now, I can't remember, had a 1 3/8" wide nut. I have big hands, so a wider board might make finger yoga for chords a bit easier.

Currently have a chinese made Johnson. I have been happy with it, but above the 7th fret things get a bit interpretive...

I'd appreciate any and all insight/pros/cons/leads.... Especially from those of you that own a particular make and model that you'd suggest, and of course, why.... over others.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Jun-03-2017 at 10:28pm. Reason: Posting Guidelines Violation

Default Re: Mando Purchase Query

A friendly word. Be careful of your language. The moderators try real hard to keep this a family website. There are youngn's that do visit the Café.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George R. Lane For This Useful Post:

Yes, just to echo what George says about language. Please try expressing yourself without crudeness. Please!

That said, to address your questions, yes, everything in your price range will be made in China if you buy new. That's just how it is. Breedlove used to make USA mandolins but they moved production to China several years ago. You can still find American Breedloves used from time to time.

Everybody seems to want an F style these days. But be aware of the fact that getting an F style doesn't get you any better sound, only better looks, at twice the price. Your dollar would go further if you could do without the scroll.

There are lots of not so hot Chinese mandolins, but some really great exceptions. Two brands for you to look at carefully are Kentucky and Eastman. They both make good instruments regardless of where they are made. One big favorite with a lot of us is the Kentucky KM-150. It sounds way better than its low price would lead you to believe. It blows away a lot of mandolins costing 3 or even 4 times as much. It's the best bargain out there. Of course, no scroll. Probably the Best Buy in an F style is the Eastman 315. Really nice tone, fit, and finish for its price point. 699 with a case.

You want American made, you will have to buy used to get in your price range for the most part. Even used, you will not get an F style. An American Breedlove is in that price range used. Brand new, Howard Morris makes an A style for under a thousand. Depending on what kind of music you want to play. You could consider a flat top. Most of the Big Muddy models are in your price range. And, as hard as this may be to believe, you can even get a vintage Gibson in your price range. You see A40s for 800-1000. American made vintage Strad o Lins can be amazingly good for the price, 500-700 usually.

Good luck with your search. You do have options. But my advice would be not to worry as much about where it's made. Just get an instrument that speaks to you at some level.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Contact Keith Coleman, Luthier located in NM. His reputation for easy playing, great sounding, and affordable instruments is stellar.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

7. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

figuring it out

All -

No intent to offend... As for my Grandma.... She was colorful, just like my mum... So... again, my apologies out of the gate. Thank you for your remarks and insight. And if you're just reading this - and have some input, please, fire away. Enjoy reading everything here that's posted and following other threads for additional insight. Thank you all! Keep it coming!

If you want a good F style for under $1000, you will be buying a Chinese mandolin. I'm a fan of the Eastman MD515, if that's what you're after. I prefer them to the Kentuckys at that price range. As has been said many times here, you'll get much more for your money if you go with an A style. Breedlove does have a wider fretboard, so if you can find an American made FF, that would do you right. You'd be looking for the Premier or Quartz model. The Crossover is their more recent Chinese made one, and it is nowhere near as good.
    Here you go:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Breelov...-/152568215409
    Might go low since it is mislabeled as a Breelove - no "d"

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmoorhead View Post
    I think I want to spend something in the $500 -1,000 range.. maybe more if I can sell a couple of crowns. My head is swimming. Kentucky, Breedlove, Washburn, Eastman, Loar... I've read good and bad about all of these here. I'm more for sound than fancy... I'd like a carved "F" style... Everything, EVERYTHING at my price point seems to be made in China - are there ANY quality American made mandos in my price range? I've been searching for an American Breedlove, but no luck. Also, looking for something with a bit wider fretboard - one make, now, I can't remember, had a 1 3/8" wide nut. I have big hands, so a wider board might make finger yoga for chords a bit easier.
    This exercise feels a little bit like an episode of House Hunters on HGTV. You can get everything you want in an American Breedlove f-style, but it will usually require you to expand your budget:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/111609#111609

Or, you can stay within budget by compromising on one of your search parameters, such as the "scroll":

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/110459#110459

A final alternative would be get the one you want in a neighborhood you don't, by which I mean the Crossover model from China that Al referenced. Unfortunately, there isn't one currently in the classifieds for me to link. Either way, the decision comes down to which of your search parameters get prioritized. Good luck!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

The two difficult ones here are "wide nut" simply because these are nowhere near as common. They are readily available, but in very few models.

Of course, US made is also difficult at this price point. Not impossible, but you will be priced out of any of the more popular American made F's and all but a few American made A's.

It's not just that you may not be able to get one with your budget, but also, that the ones available in these prices ranges may not stack up to the better imports you can get at the same price.

If at all possible, I would see if a 1-1/8" nut will be acceptable for you. This will open up so many more options. A 1-1/8" nut with good spacing will have a lot more room than your Johnson.

Great advise from everyone, so far. An Eastman would be my first recommendation if the nut width is doable for you.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

IMHO, you can get a big upgrade and stay within your budget with a Kentucky, Eastman, or Loar. I'm fond of the Blems you see dealers selling now and then. Used, you might score a Kentucky master built. These are the 900 and above models and are really where the fun starts. Otherwise, the next jump to around $1200 will get you any number of American made A styles. An American F or a Northfield will be $2000+, mostly plus.

If I had $1000 to spend and wanted an F style, with what I know now, I'd look for a used Kentucky master built, but you will have to get on with the neck, frets, etc.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

You also might get a used Kentucky KM 805 - I got one in a trade, and it's not a bad mandolin - I'm pretty happy with it, and I am an A-style player so I was a little apprehensive about the scroll, but I haven't "moved it on," so I guess that says something. There was one in the classifieds in the last month that was about $800 if my memory serves me correctly (and it may not.)
    Actually it's still there for $750.00 - ad date is May 22 - NFI.

Blog Entries

I'm more for sound than fancy... I'd like a carved "F" style...
    There is the central problem.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I keep thinking about the Eastman 515 I played last year. I thought it was amazing for $1000, A or F, and in this case of course it's an F. So I suggest it as a possible contender.

figuring it out

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    There is the central problem.
    Oh now c'mon.... If "F"s weren't popular, they wouldn't sell. What I was referring to was elaborate inlay, supah flamed back... that sort of thing. I'm up for a good natured ribbing as much as the next guy, but pref or superiority of an A over an F, or vice versa is silly - simply a matter of personal choice. I know that more work goes into an F, so they cost more. I think the As look kinda dorky, but that's just my opinion, so.... Regardless - I do appreciate all of the input and reasoning I'm getting on this post. Thanks!

...are there ANY quality American made mandos in my price range? I've been searching for an American Breedlove, but no luck...
    You could consider Shawnee Creek Mandolins. Their F-models list just over $1K, and reviews are generally favorable.

Small builder, and the F-model he shows "for sale" at $1,150 has a light finish that wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea. But he builds individually, and reportedly works with his customer to customize neck profile, finish etc. His old website showed the basic list price of F-models at $950, but his price may have risen.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

18. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Allen, thanks for pointing out Shawnee Creek. I don't know how they sound, but I diggin' the looks of that F style! Traditional looking enough but different too. Organic looking and the finish lets the wood speak for itself. Cool headstock too. No fussy scrolls to break off. If it sounds good, screaming bargain at that price, in my opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

20. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Oh now c'mon.... If "F"s weren't popular, they wouldn't sell. What I was referring to was elaborate inlay, supah flamed back... that sort of thing. I'm up for a good natured ribbing as much as the next guy, but pref or superiority of an A over an F, or vice versa is silly - simply a matter of personal choice. I know that more work goes into an F, so they cost more. I think the As look kinda dorky, but that's just my opinion, so.... Regardless - I do appreciate all of the input and reasoning I'm getting on this post. Thanks!
    What Jeff is saying If you really consider sound the most important and you are limited in budget then the A is the "less fancy" and therefore at any dollar amount the more likely to sound better. Yes F styles sells but dollar for dollar they cost more. Reminds me of a sign I saw in a car repair shop. " We do work fast, We do work good, We do work cheap, pick any two, you can't have all three".