Thread: Mandolins at Dusty Strings

Default Mandolins at Dusty Strings

When I was in Seattle last weekend, they had their usual nice selection of mandolins --- some Collings, Webers, and vintage Gibsons. I played two H-2 mandolas that were one year apart in age and $100 apart in price. I thought that the tone of the younger 105-year-old one (which also was the cheaper one) was WAY better, and its condition was way better, as well. I had a lot of trouble putting that one down. I also played a 1999 Duff, which may have been there when I visited last summer. That was a treat! I finished with their Weber Bitterroot OM, which had a serial number dating it from earlier this year. It sounded like it hadn't been played much, but it should open up quite nicely. The Gilchrist F-4 that they let me play last summer had moved on.

As usual, their staff was excellent!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Default Re: Mandolins at Dusty Strings

+1 for Dusty Strings!
    The best sounding Collings I've ever played was there. Italian spruce, if memory serves.

Just took a look in their website. I've been curious about what a traditional Yellowstone sunburst looked like in a satin finish...now I know.

I played the 1999 Duff the last time I was there. I had just gotten my SA or I may have had a hard time leaving without it....... they had some really good Webers too!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

My visits there have been pleasant. Nice folks.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Blog Entries

I have purchased two extraordinary instruments from Dusty Strings in Seattle, and I concur, their selection is nice, their staff is great. I have been made very happy.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

i got my first harp there--their speciality, an fh 26 that at the time was remaindered. the early ones didn't sell. they sold it for 700 if i remember . some one later gave me a c ase while i was busking. they said their harp had been destroyed in a fire, but the case was in their car. great bunch. lpohn peekstock has always been helpful and a great musician. he was still there last time i called for a part.

I'm going to be in the Seattle area at the end of June. Hoping to stop in there for a few hours!

I love DS, probably why i go at least 3x/ month. Excellent selection of accessories and books/DVDs and esp. finger and thumb picks for banjo/dobro, which are hard to find in person outside the 4 cities in US where lots of music shops congregate. Also wegens and some kind of caseine flatpicks. Also sold a couple mando's on consignment really fast (one in 48 hours).

If you're an Dread/acoustic guitar enthusiast, you can check out Running Dog guitars which is a few blocks away right next to Cat Fox's repair shop (she does absolutely topnotch repair/lutherie work, as mentioned in multiple threads here). RD's website is down right now, not sure whatps up there.

You can walk up to 44th to American Music which is a great shop for electrics, synths/keyboards, PA's and such but their mandolin philosohpy seems to be who cares what it sounds like, as low as possible action is our setup. You can also play banjos where the heads have no tension and the bridges are sinking in. Sort of fun for 2 minutes.

If you're also a fiddle/violin/cello person, there's other nearby places to check out: David Stone, Olsen, Lasley etc
    Last edited by gtani7; Jun-04-2017 at 1:50am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

10. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post: