Thread: Scalloped fretboard on a mandolin?

Question Scalloped fretboard on a mandolin?

Hi guys, I've been thinking of the different ways to make a mandolin fret easier, and I know that taller frets help with that(if I'm not mistaken), but what about scalloping the fretboard like they do sometimes on Electric guitars and basses? Would that have the same effect on a mandolin? And would it be worth trying? Has anyone done that before with good results? Thanks, Jesse
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1914.JPG 
Views:	313 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	157609

2. The following members say thank you to Jesse Kinman for this post:

fox 

Default Re: Scalloped fretboard on a mandolin?

It looks like A LOT of unnecessary work to me. Scalloped fret board or not you still have to push the strings just far enough to reach the frets. If may be worth the effort if you want to "bend" the strings.
    Bill Snyder

4. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Looks really cool anyway.
    I cant imagine it would make any difference to most experienced players apart from feeling weird but I would love try out that design.

6. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Looks really cool anyway.
    I cant imagine it would make any difference to most experienced players apart from feeling weird but I would love try out that design.
    Adam Steffey used to play Northfield with scalloped board. There was some discussion about it (pic included) year or so ago... They mentioned he had some problem with left hand (injury?) and that should help him play easier.
    I think on basses or electric guitars it can be useful for certain left hand techniques, but on mandolin very limited use. Typical wire is 0.04" tall and I don't know anyone capable of pushing string course that far with one finger.
    Adrian

8. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

scalloped fretboards require a very delicate fingering touch, lest you get a LOT of sharp notes. even more difficult to maintain even string pressure with chords. think about a bunch and you'll realize why very few artists have turned to the scalloped board, and why fewer yet have learned to use it effectively.
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfd For This Useful Post:

The main benifit to a scalloped board is the ease of bending notes. Even on guitar many only scallop the upper frets. I also would worry about neck strength as the board does provide some and a mandolin neck is pretty slim to start with.

12. The following members say thank you to Nevin for this post:

As rfd mentioned I would be concerned with intonation. Since mandolins have a much shorter scale than guitars I would think that would possibly make the instrument play even more out of tune.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

It might be just the solution for the player seeking that space between C and C# though...
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

16. The following members say thank you to guidoStow for this post:

I can see how it would go sharp easier I reckon, and thanks for the input guys, an interesting topic...lol. I currently use light gauge strings, but would using medium or even heavy gauge strings help combat it going sharp with the scalloped fretboard? Or would that be counterproductive?
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skaggs2.0 View Post
    I can see how it would go sharp easier I reckon, and thanks for the input guys, an interesting topic...lol. I currently use light gauge strings, but would using medium or even heavy gauge strings help combat it going sharp with the scalloped fretboard? Or would that be counterproductive?
    Heavy strings = more tension = harder to bend strings and accidentally play sharp.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

19. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skaggs2.0 View Post
    but what about scalloping the fretboard like they do sometimes on Electric guitars and basses?
    I am just curious: have you ever played a guitar that had a scalloped fretboard? Is it really easier to play that one that is flat and has good action?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

21. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Scalloped fretboard? Why not, everything is so much cooler and artisan sounding when you put "scalloped" before it. Scalloped braces, scalloped fretboard, scalloped peghead, scalloped tuners, scalloped top, scalloped frets, I say yes to scalloped.

I have the scalloped top.
    mr.randy

I'd like to see Yngwie Malmsteen playing an electric mandolin with a scalloped fretboard.

good grief, is there any common sense left in mando-lando?

scallops are for suppers, not fretboards.

26. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am just curious: have you ever played a guitar that had a scalloped fretboard? Is it really easier to play that one that is flat and has good action?
    No I haven't, just seen pictures of them and read a little about them. I just find myself having to press hard to get clear notes on my Kentucky mandolin, and I played a Buckeye mandolin several years ago that was a breeze to fret, looking back now I think it had jumbo frets. Just trying to think of different ways to possibly make mine fret any easier. I have the action as low as it will go without buzzing.
    2019 Tyler White custom F5 #17
    2012 Huss and Dalton RD-M
    2019 Gann resonator guitar

https://www.youtube.com/user/kinmanknives

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    i have both played and worked on scalloped guitar fretboards for customers far more than i'd like. those poor folks with their yngvie fetish never realized the grief they were in for in attempting to master (or just cope!) with a wavy gravy board that the player must decide when each fretted string has had enuf finger pressure to allow an in tune true note sound and not use too much finger pressure to make that fretted string go sharp. think: ravi shankar sitar effect. and chords? wooooo hooooo! ... good luck!

With careful finger placement, the string need never hit anything but fingertip and fret. That's what I practiced for years on classical guitar. My fingerboard would remain untouched and polished. Aim directed movement from fret to fret.
    Stephen Perry

I'm definitely lapsing into curmudgeon land... my first and only thought was : no. The whole Yngvie Malmstein thing (sp) has screwed up more guitar fingerboards than can be counted....with only a fraction of players really mastering it. It's an awefully expensive experiment IMO.

Scalloped potatoes will be on the menu soon, I think! Scalloped fingerboard....not so much!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

How about a scalloped back?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	540x360.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	158496

I just find myself having to press hard to get clear notes on my Kentucky mandolin
    When I catch myself pushing harder to get clean notes I take a good hard look at finger placement, angle, orientation, etc. and it usually solves the problem.