Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The rules according to Bill Monroe

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Default Re: The rules according to Bill Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    My dad was a jeweler. He warned me that a guy that was in business for 40 years may only have one year's experience repeated 40 times over.
    My usage is a Louisiana thing; at least that's where I learned the meanings of experience and what others call "experience."

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NursingDaBlues For This Useful Post:

DavidKOSIron 

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    My usage is a Louisiana thing; at least that's where I learned the meanings of experience and what others call "experience."
    And we are from New Orleans! No wonder!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

I'm down with the "no rules" folks. But rules are the reason I can meet total strangers in a parking lot and make some quality music, like immediately. This is separate, and not to be confused with freedom of expression. Anybody that plays an instrument, if he's a Kenny Werner follower or not, still has parameters. IOW, a musician should study music and his instrument then learn to push the envelope from there. The opposite is Prof. Harold Hill's "Think Method."

I guess we're along ways from Mun's rules. But just remember what he said when he bit into a bagel, "Stay away from them there donuts Son. They's tuff as leather, and they ain't a bit sweet."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

Five pages in and I'd say this thread "ain't no part of nothin'"

;-)

farmerjones,I had to look up Kenny Werner;glad I did. There must be some middle ground, for most people who play music, between Kenny and Prof.Hill.

I heard Bill Monroe's Zen lesson repeated a few times when,at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival, Little Feat was introduced as the "special guest" at the end of the weekend by the mayor of Telluride(not Sam Bush). Lots of traditional-Bluegrass-only festivarians packed up the wife and kids muttering as they departed the area.
    That made it so much easier for me to move up into the front row!

There is a fatman in the bathtub with the blues.

There's still only two kinds of music.

9. The following members say thank you to V70416 for this post:

Iron 

I LOVE the dobro in a bluegrass band but I had a good friend who hated it so you could go on forever with this. To me, bluegrass sort of means acoustic style music with a Banjo. Although Bill Monroe started it, I firmly believe that Earl Scruggs banjo was the last piece of he jigsaw and without it, I just don't think the whole bluegrass thing would have moved along the way it has done. Although there are a good few 'bluegrass bands' without a banjo, to many people it is an essential part and the dobro ADDS.

Can't see the point in saying you CAN'T have this or that. When Larry Sparks recorded 'Sharecropper's son,' he had the harmonica solo as it was done on original. Nice change and it works so can't see the problem. Be open minded is my view.

Love the dobro Gerry Douglas plays on Peter Rowan's "Wayside Tavern" not to mention dobro on Sam Bush song @Last letter home'

I get a daily video from 'Bluegarss on the tube' and most of it sounds nothing like bluegrass.

11. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Iron 

Some of the great Dobro players may have been able to play the essence of Mr. Monroe's music. Mike Auldridge and Jerry Douglas could've done it.

i've always wondered what the other kind of music had in mind that the great picker said would have been very popular, but he never recorded it (AFAIK), suspecting his fans may have thought he was abandoning bluegrass. Maybe it was an ancient tone kind of thing with a Celtic feel. If so, i could imagine uilleann pipes and bodhran in it. Some of the Transatlantic Sessions with Aly Bain may have been appealing...something like their rendition of Scotland with Mark O'Connor, etc.

13. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Iron 

I once interviewed Bill for a radio show about 1982 and asked him what he thought about "newgrass" players.
    "A lot of 'em put a lot of notes in there that really don't belong," he said. "Try to keep it down t' earth."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobrem For This Useful Post:

Y'all missed it. I'm here to help. Here goes...."you can't play the Blue Grass music with the striped pants on". You're welcome.

Roscoe Morgan
    2019 Duff A-5 #246
    1964 Martin A

17. The following members say thank you to fernmando for this post:

Iron 

Quote Originally Posted by RFMando View Post
    Five pages in and I'd say this thread "ain't no part of nothin'"

;-)
    I sorta agree, but hey, it's on a bumper sticker so it's got to be true! I'd say if you want to know all there is to know about Bill Monroe music you need to buy all 7 of the Bear Family box sets and listen to ever song on them. When you get to the last one, you will know and understand all there is to know about Bill Monroe and his music they called "Bluegrass". PS: expect to hear some accordian, open back banjo,electric guitar, piano, organ, drums and a choir.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    That's always sound advice. Strike it, then stomp on it and set it on fire.

(Even if Bill's "ain't no part of nuthin" comment wasn't about dobros, it should have been.)
    ...I agree with above...-the 'dobro' (Hawaiian steel) does NOT belong in bluegrass !

21. The following members say thank you to mando-tech for this post:

Iron 

Rules are made to be broken...

23. The following members say thank you to mandos&turtles for this post:

Iron 

Quote Originally Posted by humblemex View Post
    So what were the rules of bluegrass according to Big Mon? I'm thinking strict instrumentation (mandolin, fiddle, guitar, banjo, bass, and sometimes Dobro), tight three- or four-part harmonies, traditional material, cowboy hats, and never a note outside the diatonic scale except a raised fourth now and then. Does that about cover it?
    ,,,correction,...-NEVER "dobro",...not "sometimes" !

25. The following members say thank you to mando-tech for this post:

Iron 

...but NEVER... -dobro !

27. The following members say thank you to mando-tech for this post:

Iron 

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I sorta agree, but hey, it's on a bumper sticker so it's got to be true! I'd say if you want to know all there is to know about Bill Monroe music you need to buy all 7 of the Bear Family box sets and listen to ever song on them. When you get to the last one, you will know and understand all there is to know about Bill Monroe and his music they called "Bluegrass". PS: expect to hear some accordian, open back banjo,electric guitar, piano, organ, drums and a choir.
    ...but NEVER -dobro !

I’m having trouble merging the “we have rules and some instruments don’t belong in BG” Bill Monroe with the first time I heard “Kentucky Waltz”... played by Bill and his band.... with a Hammond organ. I could picture it maybe on a gospel tune, but on a slow dance tune?

And I must admit my inner five year old was waiting to hear - Da-dum-da-tump...da TUMM... “CHARGE!”

K’hat

30. The following members say thank you to Khatarlan for this post:

Iron 

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Khatarlan View Post
    I’m having trouble merging the “we have rules and some instruments don’t belong in BG” Bill Monroe with the first time I heard “Kentucky Waltz”... played by Bill and his band.... with a Hammond organ. I could picture it maybe on a gospel tune, but on a slow dance tune?

And I must admit my inner five year old was waiting to hear - Da-dum-da-tump...da TUMM... “CHARGE!”

K’hat
    The answer to this is very simple. The March 17 1951 session was in no way bluegrass and Monroe did not record with his band at all but with session musicians. That session was not Monroe’s idea (Monroe always recorded for major labels and never was his own producer). Apparently Paul Cohen (and Owen Bradley) hoped to capitalize on Eddy Arnold’s success with Kentucky Waltz, and broaden Monroe’s public appeal by including electric instruments.

There were also two gospel numbers with organ and Prisoner’s Song with some hokey honky-tonk piano.

The next two sessions were mainly devoted to material associated with Jimmie Rodgers, eight numbers, the standard format for an album in those days. Three songs were recorded with BG instrumentation, five songs of a more uptown character were done with electric guitars and drum(s).

Most of the songs were canned, e.g., Sailor’s Plea and Peach Picking Time were released only in 1964, and the experiment was never repeated.

32. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Iron 

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Uncle josh graves' autobiography has Monroe shaking graves’ Hand after a bluegrass jam and saying 'welcome to bluegrass son
    Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    ...but NEVER -dobro !
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by Miltown View Post
    You gotta wear a hat.
    Unless you've got a bluegrass hairdoo under it.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    "Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't."
    - Pete Seeger

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Quote Originally Posted by humblemex View Post
    Really amazed there are so many people here who believe that bluegrass is *only* what Bill says it is. Guess that means you don't like Sam Bush, David Grisman, Tony Rice, Bela Fleck, Alison Krauss, or Jerry Douglas. But what the heck would hacks like that know about bluegrass? Your loss.
    Well I like Tony Rice...

Good dobro, the bluegrass oxymoron.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik Ahrend View Post
    Always play the guitar with the open B-string (in the G-chord). Look sharp, but never smile! I believe Roland White played the G-chord like Clarence, didn't he?
    And the strap goes over the shoulder, but not over the back.
    Living’ in the Mitten