Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tone rite

Default Re: Tone rite

hmmmmm........

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Making plans to try one of each device discussed here, first each in isolation, then all devices simultaneously, and also plan to monitor all tests with latest generation tautology detector firmly in place. I'll let y'all know how it comes out.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

be sure and update us on the amplitude control and power clarity readings
    2012 Weber Bitterroot F5.

I tried one once, but I couldn't hear any difference. I guess I should have put my hearing aids in.

There was one that went around like the pick sampler, been a few years ago. Helped my Gibson get over the hump. I sent it along.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    be sure and update us on the amplitude control and power clarity readings
    I don't take kindly to open mockery.
    You're welcome to discount my observations of rapid break-in of a new high end mando. You are also allowed to not understand the processes of damping and acoustic coupling, headroom, and playing with control across a wide dynamic range.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

8. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

IIRC, Chris Stanley used one on the just finished A5 in 2012. It sounded great, except for the lowest 4 notes on the G string, so i picked up a pre owned Tone Rite on the Cafe. It ran nonstop for a month, 24/7, except when i was playing the mandolin pretty hard. i really wanted to believe it was helping, but the witness of those 4 notes could not be refuted. So it went to another Cafe member and i played on pretty much every day...still do. The volume balanced across the strings after some 3 years of playing and i'm a satisfied owner. Other small shop name mandolins have come and gone, but the Stanley stands strong.

i hope others had a more fruitful experience than i did.

Now, the innovation i would like to see is a machine that can duplicate picking motion by a player. Seems like there must be a way to do this.
    Last edited by dan in va; Jul-07-2018 at 5:49pm.

10. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

I've been using the "put them in front of speakers" break in for years , and if done carefully , in my experience makes a difference.
    You'll notice the strings vibrating in sympathy as the top does it's work . Being an engineer and luthier I find it a kick . The larger the top surface of the instrument , I believe the more dramatic the effect from observation . I've done it with violin and guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Papalobo View Post
    I've been using the "put them in front of speakers" break in for years , and if done carefully , in my experience makes a difference.
    You'll notice the strings vibrating in sympathy as the top does it's work . Being an engineer and luthier I find it a kick . The larger the top surface of the instrument , I believe the more dramatic the effect from observation . I've done it with violin and guitars.
    That's the way Emory Gordy, Jr. does it. (He's a famous unknown who's played with Elvis, Emmylou. George Jones, Billy Joel, Vince Gill, his wife Patty Loveless and many others.) He told me that a couple of days worth would usually do the trick. He and I are both ham radio operators and I originally met him at a state-sponsored emergency exercise several years ago.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I know this is an old thread but I'm looking to either get a couple of tone rites or a tone traveler. The tone traveler is works a lot like the old put it in front of your speaker method but it lets you target individual strings and tuners. Has anyone here had any experience with it?