Thread: Ibanez 517

Default Ibanez 517

I've had this mandolin for 40 years and just today figured out that it's a 517! I found it (and a 518) in the 1976 catalog. The 517 and 518 look the same from the front, but the 518 has a solid carved back, and the back on this one is obviously 2 pieces. The mandolin doesn't have any markings other than the Ibanez logo on the headstock. I had looked a bit before, but never had any luck.

I bought the mandolin new in 1977; I think I remember paying $175 for it with a case. I think it plays well, but since it's the only one I've ever owned I don't have anything to compare it to. I used to play guitar with 4 or 5 other players and decided to give the mandolin a try to give myself my own space to play in.

I was just wondering if anyone had any more information or opinions on this model. Also, any idea of what it might be worth today.

Thanks,
    George

Default Re: Ibanez 517

Pictures are always good.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

My dad has an old Ibanez F. It looks, plays, and sounds very nice, but has a very soft tone.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

As suggested, pictures of the mandolin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4572.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	157319 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4575.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	157316 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4573.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	157318 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4574.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	157317 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4576.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	157315

Quote Originally Posted by websterling View Post
    I've had this mandolin for 40 years and just today figured out that it's a 517! I found it (and a 518) in the 1976 catalog. The 517 and 518 look the same from the front, but the 518 has a solid carved back, and the back on this one is obviously 2 pieces. The mandolin doesn't have any markings other than the Ibanez logo on the headstock. I had looked a bit before, but never had any luck.
    I don't have any specific knowledge of your particular model but in general, the term "solid carved back" would mean that the back was carved from "solid" as opposed to laminated wood. The laminated backs would likely have been pressed into a form to get the arched shape. A back carved from two pieces of solid wood that have been joined together in the center (book-matched) is still considered solid wood. On the other hand, some laminated backs use a book-matched outer veneer to simulate a solid, book-matched back.
    One way you might be able to verify if it is indeed solid or laminated is by observing the grain patterns on the inside of the back to see if they correspond closely with the grain pattern on the outside. If the grain patterns match closely (with some leeway given for the thickness of the wood and grain orientation) the back is likely solid. If it is completely different from inside to outside, it is laminated.
    www.apitiusmandolins.com

What is good Phaedrus? and what is not good?, need we ask anyone to tell us these things?

Here is every Ibanez mandolin that has sold recently on eBay. Unfortunately this includes A and F models from all years and it doesn't include any with your model number. Your price is going to be someplace in this range. Even with the age that doesn't really affect the value all that much.

Every thread on the Cafe that mentions the Ibanez 517 can be found here.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

By the way, from previous comments on other threads I don't think it's carved, I think it's pressed.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

As per Oliver A.'s suggestion, I tried to compare the wood on the inside of the back with the wood on the outside. To me they both appear to have the same fine grain. There aren't any features that I can see on both the inside and outside. In fact there are very few distinguishing features in the grain at all.

If I look at the center of the inside of the back I can see that is is two pieces joined at the center, just like the outside. Would a pressed back be made this way?

Also, looking at the side of the mandolin, I can see the edge grain of both the top and back through the finish. To me they appear about the same. The edge on the bottom is slightly rounded so it's hard to tell whether it's solid or covered with a thin veneer. If the bottom were laminated, would it be a piece of wood covered with one layer of veneer, or would it built up in several layers like plywood? It does not have a plywood like appearance.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Sure. Pressed doesn't mean laminated as in plywood. Gibson used pressed tops and backs on most of their second line mandolins in the 30's, most Strad-O-Lins are pressed backs and tops. It's a method of getting the arch in place without having to carve it. Most but not all inexpensive modern factory built mandolins are pressed. In other words, it could be solid wood without being carved.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I had one of these with the distressed finish also. I loved that mandolin and will look for my photos. Stay tuned!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The 517 and 518 from the 1976 Ibanez catalog. They didn't make it easy to tell them apart...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	catalog.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	157327  
    Last edited by websterling; May-19-2017 at 3:17pm.

12. The following members say thank you to websterling for this post:

I wonder why they are calling it a Flat Mandolin?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Well, it is fairly flat. At the edge I measured a thickness of 49mm and between the highest points on the top and back just 63mm.

Then I wonder why they are calling it carved? That's the problem with some of these older catalogs, they hadn't decided on any standards for descriptions. Even today there are issues but most of the time you can figure out what they are actually saying.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here's my old Ibanez.

Name:	diz-front.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	621.2 KB 
ID:	157339

Then I found the following in my files:

Name:	79-mand-3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	157340

. . . so mine may have been a bit different?

f-d

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I'm a big fan of ibanez and own a bunch , you don't see either the 517 or 518 very much , hopefully I'll get one someday, some of the older ones are great and some not so much..
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    . . . so mine may have been a bit different?
    f-d
    Unfortunately, without a serial number, label, or records from Ibanez, and the fact that the 517 1nd 518 look identical, and knowing I bought it in March, 1977, the only think I can be certain of is that it's an Ibanez mandolin made before then. If only I still had the receipt.

BTW, I'm about an hour or so south of you, in Surry County.

Quote Originally Posted by websterling View Post
    <snip>

BTW, I'm about an hour or so south of you, in Surry County.
    drove through there a few weeks back. Looking at exposures of the Yorktown formation along the James over by Pipsico.

f-d

George,
    I also have the same mandolin I purchased new in 1977 from a music store in Gainesville Florida. It is absolutely wonderful. I had seen the catalog with the pictures and like you I could never tell if it was a 517 or a 518. I decided it did not matter to me. From the thread you have on here I have also looked inside and my mandolin appears to have matching wood grain inside and out, with a seam down the center of the back.
    A couple of years ago a bit of age began to show on her and the glue seam along the back and sides began to separate. I quickly took her to a qualified repair fellow and she is as good as new.
    She still has excellent tight action and terrific tonal qualities. I have many instruments but this mandolin is one of my absolute favorites and it is very unlikely I would sell her no matter the offer. I think your $175 cost in 1977 is pretty accurate, I added a used hard shell case when I made the purchase and those numbers seem pretty close in my 69 year old mind. For insurance purposes I have her listed at $500 but I would not let her go for that amount.

Best Regards
    Michael

This is a 517 - the 518 has painted purfling on the headstock, and is the only reliable way to tell these two models apart. And yes, the backs are pressed into shape. I have a 518 and had the back off mine last year. You can read more about that here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-detached-back

I bought mine from Goodwill's auction site, with the original hard shell (non-chipboard) case and the back partially detached. I paid $88. Not sure what that translates to in fully repaired dollars.

It's my daily player! Great little mandolin. Have fun with yours!

EDIT: Somehow just realized this was a 2 year old thread. I actually read it when I got my Ibanez! Whoops.