Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Default Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    I certainly get that they don't want it to eat into the sales of their higher models. But should it be so ugly no one would want to buy it? Is this sort of a loss leader type thing, where you go into the store looking for this and leave with something more expensive? I hope not. I would rather see it with a pleasing color finish and minimalist everything else. There will be those who prefer that and those who want more bling.
    You apparently missed the folks in this topic who like the aesthetic. Doing a quick those who like the aesthetic, or who think the instrument sounds like something they'd try, outnumber the one who wouldn't try it by almost three to one.

I was intrigued by the look of the Washburn M108SWK mandolin, as I really don't like bling. A Kentucky with no binding and a nice scroll? Add one more to the "yes" column!
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

Doing a quick those who like the aesthetic, or who think the instrument sounds like something they'd try, outnumber the one who wouldn't try it by almost three to one.
    Good catch!. I think more like it than we realize....

It sold a few hours back and I even had some interest right after it sold.

Just finished setting it up. It needed some light fret leveling/dressing. The bridge fit was close, but needed a bit more work on the foot. I also had to modify the foot to get more adjustment range. The tone is full. Not real punchy but good lows and sustain. The one thing that struck me is that this doesn't lose volume up the neck.

It is getting boxed up and it shipped out now.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Explorer, I did not miss the positive comments of those who posted that they liked the look. I simply wondered, out loud so to speak, I if the intent of Saga was to make it ugly on purpose so as to lead people to buy the more expensive models. It wouldn't be the first time such a marketing ploy has been tried. But if that was their intent, it apparently backfired. They may have underestimated the appeal of the "rustic" look.

I find it ironic that when a luthier, especially those just starting out and maybe not so good at finishing yet, produces an instrument with a "rustic" look, he is poor-poohed here and no one will touch it with a ten foot pole, but when Saga makes one, all of a sudden the "rustic" look is all the rage!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

5. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

But if that was their intent, it apparently backfired. They may have underestimated the appeal of the "rustic" look.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Robert, Was this the only one you had in your shop? If so, when would you expect to receive another?
    Rick

Robert, Was this the only one you had in your shop? If so, when would you expect to receive another?
    Rick
    This was the only one I received. I had more on the same order, but was only shipped this one. I assumed Saga didn't have many and tried to spread them across the dealers, but I haven't seen any other references to them yet at dealers yet.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

9. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Ridohi 

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Explorer, I did not miss the positive comments of those who posted that they liked the look. I simply wondered, out loud so to speak, I if the intent of Saga was to make it ugly on purpose so as to lead people to buy the more expensive models. It wouldn't be the first time such a marketing ploy has been tried. But if that was their intent, it apparently backfired. They may have underestimated the appeal of the "rustic" look.

I find it ironic that when a luthier, especially those just starting out and maybe not so good at finishing yet, produces an instrument with a "rustic" look, he is poor-poohed here and no one will touch it with a ten foot pole, but when Saga makes one, all of a sudden the "rustic" look is all the rage!
    Well... that's more an indictment of a sub-group here on the Café than of the market in general. It's generally a vocal minority which makes strong statements against a product, often repeatedly as a topic continues, with the rest of the membership each just making one positive comment.

I've seen this happen in more than one topic, and one of my current mandolins (not in my signature) came to my attention when the heavy hitters, including moderators, were ripping on it in a topic reserved for mocking scrolls which didn't measure up to their standards. They listed the eBay auction where it was listed, and for a song I picked up a carved top, 14-fret-to-the-body oval hole with scroll which is actually my favorite mando.

So, it's not that no one will touch such things with a ten foot pole... it's that certain posters claim that they speak for all mando players when they say no one will touch such instruments. It's not the most welcomng atmosphere they create, but when even the moderation team is occasionally in on the mockery, then who is to say it's wrong?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Explorer For This Useful Post:

I would be very interested to see and play one in person. But for the time being that seems unlikely, since the initial supply is so limited. I formed my initial judgements based solely on the photos. But I do have an open mind!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PiginaPen View Post
    A murdered out mandolin. Didn't see that coming.
    Hey I like that expression! I don't mind some solid colors on mandolins like the old Amana White on the Gibson A-3's, the old Black top F-2's-F-4's and the elusive mid 30's F-10. even the newer Gibson Black top Victorian or newer Gibson F-10 with long scale neck. But all these in my opinion had class, inlay work to set em off or different shades for the rest of the mandolin. so needless to say I don't like the looks of that 606 Kentucky, it may sound fine but I've had loads of Kentucky mandolins and some were ok but never owned one that I kept! I've heard that some of the newer models with Varnish and the different upgrades/spinoffs of say the KM-1000 and KM-900 are mighty fine but I'd rather keep saving and get something that I really want! Wouldn't mind owning one of the mid 80's Kentucky Dawgs that look like a Monteleone but thats about it

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    This was the only one I received. I had more on the same order, but was only shipped this one. I assumed Saga didn't have many and tried to spread them across the dealers, but I haven't seen any other references to them yet at dealers yet.
    Drat, I was interested, but it sounds like they might be hard to come by. I wonder if any other dealers received them -- Mandolin Store, or Elderly?

Anyway, whoever bought it might have a collector's item. If Saga decides not to make any more, we'll probably see it on the classifieds soon -- for double the price.

And can be touched up with a sharpie

I've watched this thread unfold, while trying to make up my mind as to whether I like this model or not. And I still can't decide!

On the one hand, I think there's a gap in the market for an affordable F-style mandolin that sounds decent (most F-style mandolins in this price range are awful). If Kentucky has cut aesthetic corners but is still providing a mandolin that sounds good, that's a good thing. Right? Aren't we the ones who always say that tone trumps aesthetics?

I'm a little curious why they chose to make the thing black. I mean, theoretically they didn't save any labor there. Spraying or rubbing in a black dye is the same labor as spraying or rubbing in a colored dye. Heck, black may even be more labor since it could take more applications to darken it all the way (I'm going by my experience with leather dyes here). If they are using black to hide poor wood grain or something, then that may be an indicator of low quality all around. But if it's just part of the aesthetic they're after with a stripped-down, no-frills F-style, then maybe it works well. No binding, no fancy inlays, not even any shoulder blocks at the neck join, nor any fancy shiny finish (or even much attention paid to finish sanding). Just a "rat rod" mandolin, like a primered hot rod on the streets. Kind of a cool idea, in a way.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

17. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I really like it! I could see doing a relic job to it by strategically sanding some finish off in places that normally wear over years of playing. Maybe add a few "character marks", to make it look like it had been played at a million festivals. I think the idea of a "function over flash" appearance is rather appealing. I agree with the Rat Rod comparison. As long as it plays and sounds decent, I'm in. How could it be any worse looking than some of the "speed neck" jobs we've seen on here? Beauty is determined by the beholder. A carved top F-style for $500 bucks? How could that be a bad thing? They'll sell all they can make.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itstooloudMike For This Useful Post:

I like the looks of the thing, so add one more to that side of the ledger. Curious to see and play one in person.

It's a relatively cheap instrument, and the extremely understated appointments look much better to me than the cheesy sunbursts and funky binding I see on so many budget-level instruments.

I may be in the minority on this, but I thought Gibson really blew it when they redesigned the F-9 from it's original minimalist design and gave it a more conventional look. Before it looked low-key and classy. Current models just look cheap to me.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Elderly is listing it now! They say "available for pre order, expected arrival 5/31/17. No photo up yet either but a description, which says "beautiful rich brown satin finish". Brown?

Their price is 359 less case! Wow! If it sounds good and plays good, maybe I can learn to love sanding scratches?

I bet dealers will not be able to keep these in stock. And I hadn't thought of the advantage of touching up the finish with a Sharpie. Good one! Of course, with a mandolin that looks like that, why bother touching it up? Any scratches would just add to the rustic vibe.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

wow...

OK guys n gals.. I highly recommend that you pre-order quick, because I can't imaging that the price there was not a mistake that they are going to catch shortly.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    wow...

OK guys n gals.. I highly recommend that you pre-order quick
    Too late.

When it arrives, I'll upload a video.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miltown For This Useful Post:

Score!

Seriously, someone is going to get in trouble for the pricing mistake on that! Don't procrastinate. Order it now.

If it wasn't unethical, I would order them myself for resale.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

26. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Blog Entries

I almost decided to order one, in fact I had one in my Elderly shopping cart, but I've decided I'll wait. If Kentucky/Saga is doing this, Eastman, TML and the other Asian Rim manufacturers must also have something in the wings. This is going to open up a whole new playing field.

Plus, I'm thinking that the next mandolin I get is going to be setup for me. Setup of these lower cost imported mandolins can be hard work, and it is worth the extra money.

Edit: I can't help thinking that someone in the Kentucky/Saga sales office saw that "$199.00 solid F style" thread here in the Cafe'.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

28. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

It still let me put it in my shopping cart, although I didn't actually order it. Could it be they are getting more than one?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Not sure where I stood in line, but I had only received the one (had more on order).
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

Maybe if you pre order from Elderly, you don't buy a physical instrument, unless you were first. Perhaps they put you on some kind of waiting list?
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I'll be curious to see what happens. Elderly charged my card (there's a pending charge from them, at least), but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose. Who knows if I got in first, and who knows how many of the 606s they'll end up getting. I'll find out soon enough, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Miltown View Post
    I'll be curious to see what happens. Elderly charged my card (there's a pending charge from them, at least), but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, I suppose. Who knows if I got in first, and who knows how many of the 606s they'll end up getting. I'll find out soon enough, I guess.
    Me too.

Blog Entries

Elderly let me complete the order, so I'll wait with the rest of y'all to see what happens. If they honor the price, great. If not, it's not like I have to have another mandolin in the house, and if it were an honest mistake, then so be it.

As for the aesthetics, meh, beats yet-another-sunburst. At that price, my hope is that they put all the money into components and quality of manufacture, and not a fancy paint job. That hand-rubbed varnish finish on a one-piece back isn't all that noticeable at a midnight jam around the campfire. If I care about looks, I'll break out a better mandolin (which, by no coincidence, costs several times over what a 606 does). That, and I personally kind of like it.