Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastwood Rickenbacker

Default Re: Eastwood Rickenbacker

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    I think that there were just the two made by Tony and a colleague--the Fireglo shown above and the one Mike Campbell plays, with the green finish and "Vibrola." The link tells the story: http://www.emando.com/builders_active/Revell.htm
    From what I recollect, the Fireglo one I've posted at emando.com was sold on eBay twice, and I really should have bought it the first time but was feeling tapped out. (That was before PayPal Credit.) The seller in that first eBay auction claimed that Nigel Kennedy also had one, which, along with the Mike Campbell instrument, would make three. Mike acquired his from Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ, IIRC.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Mike acquired his from Lark Street Music in Teaneck, NJ, IIRC.
    Those Heartbreakers have MAS, GAS, and BAS just about as bad as anyone on the planet...
    I had a Hammertone octave 12 on E%$y about 7-8 years ago, and Mike and Tom bought it on the condition that I hand-deliver it to The Gorge, where I had front row seats waiting...
    Great concert, and yeah, I think Mike did play that RIC mando thingy (the green one?) at the show...
    Last edited by Spruce; May-25-2017 at 10:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Any word on these?
    I sent an email to their info@ address and asked for an estimated date of delivery. The reply I received read "We are hoping that we will have the Ricky Mandos in by the end of June...". We now have an answer to the question.
    "I yam what I yam"

Quote Originally Posted by biologyprof View Post
    We now have an answer to the question.
    We've had several answers to the question; this is just the latest.

Remember the GoldTone mandocellos? I think there were 12 in the initial batch that hit the beach a few months ago and generated all the talk. I hear there are hundreds more in a container still awaiting CITES clearance.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Was it an actual Ric in the solid-body style of the original post?
    Yes, it was the solid body. They are quite small. I'm sure a hollow body would sound and play differently.

Just got an email update:

Good news! Just got word from the USDA that they have released our shipment and it will get to our warehouse early next week. Better late than never...

We have a LOT of instruments to setup and ship, so a little more patience is needed. We will start shipping next week and should have everything to UPS within the next 10 days. We will email the tracking number as soon as it is picked up.

In stock....here ya go...

just ordered a black one,$25 discount for signing up to the Eastwood mailing list

....sure looks a lot different that what they had originally offered?
    They bagged the RIC pickup, for one thing. Wonder if they got threatened legally if they used it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ricky-mando.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	158590  

Any one seen the back side? (Facebook posting> https://www.eastwoodguitars.com/prod...edium=Email+RT

One problem with the thru body ferrule, As used in the Fender FM 61 8 string is it only works well with a single string in it.
    2 strings in it and when 1 breaks, because the 2 balls are jammed together, both strings have to be replaced..

Anyone want to make a divided ferrule that treats 2 strings individually , though they may share an exit hole?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I was not aware of the potential for an issue with the way the strings attach. I'm sure we'll start seeing posts about this in the near future if it becomes a problem.

On another note, last night I received an email invoice from Eastwood for the Ricky mandolin. After I made my payment I sent them an email asking for a probable ship date. The reply came quickly. It'll ship out on Monday and, hopefully, arrive here on Thursday. Now the long wait gets longer.

I ordered a Cherryburst, wasn't part of the funding campaign, and it will be here Monday.
    Curious to see what it looks like as they are not posting pics..

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    ....sure looks a lot different that what they had originally offered?
    They bagged the RIC pickup, for one thing. Wonder if they got threatened legally if they used it?
    Yeah - different pickup, no bridge cover, mirrored pickguard, less-angled tone/volume knobs . . . I'm suddenly not as thrilled as when I first laid eyes on it. I will wait for the reviews and some better photos to come in.

If the Eastwood mandola bridge was used, as stated, one string from each course is loaded from the back of the instrument, and the other through the end of the tailpiece on the top.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eastwood-mandola-sg-c.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	158661

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    Yeah - different pickup, no bridge cover, mirrored pickguard, less-angled tone/volume knobs . . . I'm suddenly not as thrilled as when I first laid eyes on it.
    Bait and switch? Weird.

Attachment 158680

Here is the original cherry burst Ricky and the more recently posted black one. To me the difference between them goes beyond just color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastwood Ricky Cherryburst.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	158682   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastwood Ricky Black_.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	158684   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastwood Ricky Black.JPG 
Views:	357 
Size:	430.1 KB 
ID:	158683  

Last edited by biologyprof; Jul-01-2017 at 1:56pm. Reason: added second pic of black mandolin
    "I yam what I yam"

Favorite color is blackClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	620.2 KB 
ID:	158701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	620.2 KB 
ID:	158701

Name:	FullSizeRender (25).jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	158783

Name:	FullSizeRender (26).jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	158784
    Not even close to Rick quality, etc..

19. The following members say thank you to juggle5 for this post:

Jacob 

Quote Originally Posted by juggle5 View Post
    Not even close to Rick quality, etc..
    ...which ain't really saying much...

21. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

lenf12 

===========

(sigh) Another example of 'If it seems to good to be true, then it probably is'.

Oh well - I guess I will just have to wait until an inexpensive used one comes along . . . .

I like it,plays and sounds good,Have never seen a Rickenbacker,only on Ebay,(with two piece mahogany and maple body,I think)Strings don't go through body,the holes are in the bridge plate so I could drill but won't because I don't have a way to keep them straight.

24. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

I would have trouble with that reverse-angled top strap button.

Played with guitar strap and no problem.Painted cavity and back of pickguard with aluminum paint and eliminated any hum.Strung with Pryamid loop end strings.Using a Quilter amp and reaching the outer limits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	727.7 KB 
ID:	159195

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    Played with guitar strap and no problem.Painted cavity and back of pickguard with aluminum paint and eliminated any hum.Strung with Pryamid loop end strings.Using a Quilter amp and reaching the outer limits.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	727.7 KB 
ID:	159195
    ....first thing i would do is throw a toaster pup on there....
    YMMV...

Couple of thoughts...

First I don't think it's fair to compare an Eastwood to a Rickenbacker.

Ric's, notwithstanding their nay-sayers, are proprietary-designed MIA built-to-order instruments made by one of the original electric guitar makers. Rickenbacker is one of the oldest boutique guitar makers that has survived by focusing on putting out a quality product and expending the requisite resources to protect their brand in the marketplace. I own a Ric and it is a quality instrument in every way. I've met the Rickenbacker folks several times at NAMM and they've always impressed me with their focus on quality and respect for their customers.

Eastwood, OTOH, has a business model built on ripping other peoples IP they then have built in impersonal Asian factories by people who care not for what they make. These products are shipped over here by the boat-load and pushed into the retail channel without even cursory Eastwood quality control to ensure they put out product as cheaply as possible. I've also met Eastwood at NAMM a few times and have found them to be generally arrogant and condescending, just like the email exchanges I've had with them.

It's like comparing Bloomingdale's to Walmart, only Eastwood is nowhere close to a Walmart.

Second - As far as some of the design trade-offs that were made, I don't think losing the bridge cover would be a deal-killer as most peeps will simply take if off and lose it anyway. You need to palm-mute when playing electric and for that the ash-tray has to go.

Choice of pickup would have also been a design compromise. Off-the-shelf electronics are not only cheaper for the manufacturer, but give customers more upgrade options. I've swapped electronics on just about all my electrics, except my Ric, and since Eastwood is using cheap Artec pickups, whatever they put in there would have to go. Especially since they use a single-coil that will hum, I would automatically change it to a humbucker I could switch to single-coil when needed.

Other than that, the Eastwood looks and sounds like what I would expect based on past Eastwood offerings - a cheap, Asian made knock-off that gets close, but wins no cigars!

If you like the design, which I don't particularly, this is as close as you're going to get without parting with significantly more of your hard-earned money.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

29. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Spruce