Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't find the Mandoholics Anonymous thread...

Default Re: Can't find the Mandoholics Anonymous thread...

Even though I'm just back in, guess I qualify. Going from none to 2 in a week. Now it's time for me to get better at playing.

There are times when I think my timing is solid. Then I'll listen to myself playing and realize I still need work on it. After years in a band and playing for dances, still have room for improvement.

Of course, my rhythm is still stronger on guitar than mandolin. Just haven't had as much time with it yet. Hoping to help remedy that by the end of the week.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    just don't expect us to help you stop, we will only encourage the affliction.
    I'm just seeking a safe place where I can feel normal - whatever that is! ����

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Even though I'm just back in, guess I qualify. Going from none to 2 in a week.
    Well, I can't match that! However I now feel the need to get a guitar. This disease set deep roots quickly!

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    In short, this pick-diva judges not.
    Whew! I was afraid I made myself too vulnerable in my admission!

5. The following members say thank you to Bigskyken for this post:

My name is Mark and I'm a mandoholic. When I get up in the morning I'm thinking about playing mandolin. I put myself to sleep at night thinking about playing. I play at least an hour every day, more when nobody's home. Someday I might even be good at it. But in the meantime I'm going to go try to play Sally Goodin'. God this is fun.

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    I play at least an hour every day,
    Hi Mark. Only an hour? Your restraint is admirable! I tell myself I can only play for an hour, but three hours later I realize I've lost all track of time. And the gettin' good thing, well I hope that happens at some point. But in the meanwhile, the fun goes on unchecked!

Hello Big Sky---I feel your pain. I have used a plethora of alternate materials as picks. One of my favorites is a pick cut from my AAA member card---Blue Cross health cards work nicely---plastic bread bag doo-hickies are a bit too stiff for me---Oh, AARP cards are pretty good also---I like using an old VISA card that gives me a good grasp (the raised numbers add a good gripping surface).

Big sky - run away fast.

You've come to the wrong place to fight your addiction.

Soon - with all our encouragement - you will have a room full of tenor banjos. You'll be engaging in endless discussions about picks, and whether Blue Chip picks are worth $35.

We'll be a gateway to citterns, bouzoukis, mandolas, pocket mandolins and mandolins of every shape, size, make, cost and design.

If you stick around, you are lost.

Russ
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    Big sky - run away fast.
    I appreciate the warning Russ, but it is too late - the disease has already manifest itself in my being, so I am trying to develop coping mechanisms. But that is secondary to collecting more music, scrutinizing the classifieds for lonely mandolins and guitars in search of a new home and checking out music stores and pawn shops everywhere I travel.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey pelone, I am going to have to try some of those "picks" myself. Thanks!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Donahue View Post
    If you stick around, you are lost.
    Good luck getting out now.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

===========

[QUOTE=Bertram Henze;1576612]Good luck getting out now.

Hey, I'm am NOT a mandolin junkie - I can quit any time I want . . . I've done it dozens of times!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    My name is Mark and I'm a mandoholic. But in the meantime I'm going to go try to play Sally Goodin'. God this is fun.
    Warning: studying Sally Goodin as played by Bill Monroe and Kenny Baker is incredibly informative and helpful for developing subtle variations on a theme. Especially if like me, you idolize Kenny Baker even though he plays a fiddle instead of a mandolin.

FWIW, I have a severe case of OTDD (obsessive talent development disorder), and while gear interests me, honing my craft is a joyful obsession. Welcome to the group.

PS I'm only 6 years into the woods so to speak, but I know it's going to be terminal.

Blog Entries

There are coping mechanisms. Here is something I do. I keep a music/MAS savings account. Its like a virtual coffee can. Any money I may get playing I put "in the can". Depending on my situation sometimes my entire tax return goes in there. Sometimes, if I budget to by something and manage to get it at a much lower price, I will take half the savings and dump it in the can.

Here is the coping mechanism. Whenever I find myself lusting after some particularly beautiful mandolin, I get on line and toss a few bucks into the can. Its something I can do at the moment.

Just doing something feels good.

The real discipline is the moment there is significant money in the can, it burns like fire. Aches to be spent. That's where immersing myself in the joy of what I already own helps. Now and then a cold shower works too.

With this wackadoodle coping mechanism I have managed to acquire some of the things I really really wanted. And I have never had to pay with credit or go into debt. OK I once had to wait longer than I should of to get new tires.

Sometimes I wake up at 2:00 AM in a cold sweat and go to my computer and toss some discretionary money in the account to get back to sleep knowing I am a little closer to my goal.

Its something to try.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... OK I once had to wait longer than I should of to get new tires.
    Well, tires can always wait as long as they are still somewhat round and firm. That mandolin could be gone tomorrow, man.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Learning by error!

All too funny, gents! I'm sure I will demonstrate some instances of misplaced priorities, rash decision-making and general indiscretion along the way, but I'm just glad I will be able to share those experiences with an understanding bunch of people here. Maybe I should start a GoFundMe account now for my future fix-it ticket due to bald tires!

Actually, this week has been a major test of my control, and I'm surprised at how well I've done. Business travel has had me driving across South Dakota, southern Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri and now I'm in central Nebraska. I've been checking Craigslist every step of the way for mandolins and that guitar that I keep trying to tell myself I don't really need. Ive stopped at a number of music stores and pawn shops. I've seen several very nice instruments, yet haven't pulled the trigger on any. Two more states and I will be clean for the week - that is if we don't count the five new music books I've collected!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

p.s., ever been to Ekalaka? I did field work as a geologist in both Ekalaka and Miles City.

Back then though, I hadn't learned to travel with my mandolin!

This is an interesting thread, 'cause it harkens to my life 15 years ago. I spent a lot of time fussing with the buying, setup, cleaning and such. I learned a lot, but really don't have that urge any more. Unless, that is, I find the one too good to let go!

Latent MAS, I guess. . . ?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Learning by error!

Yes f-d, I wander through Ekalaka now and again. Lots of trips from Miles City to Broadus and MC to Baker, but I have to be a bit creative to find an excuse to pass through Ekalaka!

As for the acquisition temptations, I am actually pretty happy with the two instruments I have, just need more time to play and really would like to learn to read music so I don't have to spend time creating TAB. I'm just not sure this old dog can learn that new trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigskyken View Post
    I am trying to restrain it from totally consuming me! As a photographer, I've long suffered from GAS (G=gear), so I know the symptoms. Part of me is saying, "don't let it happen again" while another part is saying, "mandolins are cheap compared to many of the cameras and lenses I've bought!" I may require an intervention, now that you've mentioned the MC Classifieds!

Ken,
    I understand the photography end of things. I spent 30 years as a photog here at the Helena paper. Most folks don't buy $5,000 camera bodies, yes I had 3 Nikon F4 bodies, then spend thousands more on lenses and then have to buy a Mac with lots of ram to drive Photoshop. That is why I have only one mando (for now).

20. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Learning by error!

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Most folks don't buy $5,000 camera bodies, then spend thousands more on lenses and then have to buy a Mac with lots of ram to drive Photoshop.
    A kindred spirit, indeed! I'm a Canon 1DX (X2) guy with way too much white glass for wildlife!

Blog Entries

The last mandolin I will ever buy I bought three mandolins ago.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Learning by error!

4 1/2 days and 2200 miles across seven states and I'm almost within sight of home, and I lost my resolve. The Casper Wyoming Craigslist had a deal on very lightly used Epiphone Hummingbird that I couldn't pass up. I am hopeless, but at least now I can test the guitar waters to determine if I really want to learn it, too.