Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: tonguards ..do they really work?

Default Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

Bill didn’t need one, why should you?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

2. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    When I use to have one many years ago I wrapped the rubber covered prongs with microfiber cloth pieces and this did help. However, the way I held/hold my mandolin the tonguard did not increase volume from my mandolin.
    Years ago, the ToneGards used a type of black synthetic rubber hose to protect the prongs. No longer. ToneGards today use platinum-cure silicone tubing. This tubing is chemically much more inert, and unlikely to interact with your finish. That said, a varnish finish that's still slightly soft (not fully cured) can be mechanically displaced by the prong pressure, resulting in minor dents. Older varnish finishes do not pose this problem. And yes, quite a few famous players have used ToneGards on their 1922-1924 Loars. Adding any accessory whatsoever -- be it a pickguard, an armrest, a ToneGard, a truss rod cover, etc. -- has the potential to mar the finish in tiny places, in principle, but accessories are obviously designed to minimize that. That said, you should realize that FAILURE to add an accessory that protects the mandolin in various ways, like a pickguard or ToneGard, can also result in the finish being damaged, too! Many more expensive mandolins have been damaged on the front by picks, and on the backs by "buckle rash," than have been damaged by installing pickguards and ToneGards. Think about it.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Tone guards are a non-athletic solution for little tiny instrument resting on top of a giant belly....!!!

bingo
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Bill didn’t need one, why should you?
    Cuz I am not Bill.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Toneguards don't require a strict food regimen, nor a large daily dose of exercise. Thus their popularity.

I received my second for Christmas. They do what they do very well. Need one? That's your call. I like them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    my Craft beer investment
    I'm going to use this one!

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Years ago, the ToneGards used a type of black synthetic rubber hose to protect the prongs. No longer. ToneGards today use platinum-cure silicone tubing. This tubing is chemically much more inert, and unlikely to interact with your finish. That said, a varnish finish that's still slightly soft (not fully cured) can be mechanically displaced by the prong pressure, resulting in minor dents. Older varnish finishes do not pose this problem. And yes, quite a few famous players have used ToneGards on their 1922-1924 Loars. Adding any accessory whatsoever -- be it a pickguard, an armrest, a ToneGard, a truss rod cover, etc. -- has the potential to mar the finish in tiny places, in principle, but accessories are obviously designed to minimize that. That said, you should realize that FAILURE to add an accessory that protects the mandolin in various ways, like a pickguard or ToneGard, can also result in the finish being damaged, too! Many more expensive mandolins have been damaged on the front by picks, and on the backs by "buckle rash," than have been damaged by installing pickguards and ToneGards. Think about it.
    Thanks for this info! I always wondered why the tonegard on Reischman's mandolin had black rubber instead of the clear tubing I have on my 3. You can see it clearly at about 1.30 on this video:

https://youtu.be/AvB2PxEsGbM

In my humble opinion, assuming your mandolin is properly set up, a tonegard is the best $75 you can spend on it. Plus Tony is an absolute gentleman; fantastic customer service.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to seankeegan For This Useful Post:

Never seen one on a bowlback, but of course. They are so much more powerful than A’s and F models��
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I feel the toneguard makes more of a difference to the player than to some one seated across the room. I used one for a few years, but quit some time ago and don't notice a difference for me, so I will keep it around, but haven't been using it.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Blog Entries

Ok I heard back from the owner Tony Piers and he said the new stuff isn't clear plastic its some very expensive high grade medical tubing "tygon 3350 platinum cured" and way better than the old stuff he used so he said many Loar owners use with no worry. I will also.

My son recently got a new Eastman 305 - great instrument, with a really comfy neck, newer cast tailpiece and a really punchy tone. Lovely instrument - and not just “for the money”.

Knowing how good a TG is on my Northfield F5S, we got him a Tone-Gard for Christmas. He’s tall and slim, with no “belly” to speak of. The TG has, as expected, delivered an increase in volume, bass, sustain and overall “oomph”. I can’t recommend Tone-Gards highly enough.

Cheers

Johnny

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny60 For This Useful Post:

The downside of a tone guard is what it does to the finish, especially a varnish finish. I used to think they work and they do effectively remove the instrument from the body, but at what cost? Builders I talk to hate them for what they do to their playable art.

20. The following members say thank you to Bob Buckingham for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    The downside of a tone guard is what it does to the finish, especially a varnish finish. I used to think they work and they do effectively remove the instrument from the body, but at what cost? Builders I talk to hate them for what they do to their playable art.
    See my above post, I talked to the owner and the new ones have a platinum cured clear tygon 3350 medical grade very expensive tubing. And he said Loar owners have been using them, Dawg, John Reischman, Chris Thile and more! I'm going to use my new one my wife gave me for Christmas on my 24 Loar and we'll see as my finish is perfect on that old thing? So time will tell!

I think a large number of the anti-Tonegard crowd are simply purists. If it didn't come on the first mandolin ever made, it shouldn't be used now. These are some of the same people who say no real picker should ever use a capo. (I wonder if Chris Thile, Josh Williams, Doc Watson or Sierra Hull ever said it.)

If you bought your mandolin based solely on looks then, no, you don't need a Tone-Gard. If you're concerned about the sound that comes out of your mandolin, perhaps a Tone-Gard will help you. I have one on my Breedlove Legacy (my primary mandolin) because I believe it makes a difference in the tone. I'm not built like a sumo wrestler but I still play with the mandolin up against my stomach and I believe isolating the back of the mandolin allows more sound to be produced.

Perhaps it's subjective. Which pick is better? Which strings are better? And, of course, which mandolin is better? If you ask 50 people about any one of those things, you'll get at least 55 (?) different opinions. We all know that opinions are like, well, you know. Anyway, I have no plans to remove my Tone-Gard.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    At what cost, you ask? Well, at no cost! My ToneGards have never damaged the finish on either of the two varnish-finished mandolins that I own. No damage whatsoever. In fact, the finish on the headstock of one of them was slightly marred by an electronic tuner I once placed there -- but the ToneGard did nothing. Nor has a ToneGard ever hurt the finish on a nitrocellulose lacquer-finished mandolin of mine, either. But I have seen pressure from the prongs of ToneGard make a tiny dent in the soft varnish finish of another mandolin that a friend of mine owned. This dent was easily buffed out, but it did make a small mark. Also, if you take the ToneGard on and off constantly, which you're really not supposed to do, you risk abrading the sides a bit. This was more of a problem in the old days with the black butyl-rubber hose that was used on the prongs. No more. The newer platinum-cured silicone tuning is chemically inert and quite slippery; it is unlikely to react with any finish or mar it while being slipped on or off. Still, no accessory you place on a mandolin is risk-free. The same holds for armrests, tailpieces, and other stuff.

Anyway, I suspect your information is out-dated. And who are these mysterious "builders" you get advice from, who make "playable art?" Is their information equally out-dated?

Finally, the ToneGard protects the back of your mandolin from minor scratches due to buttons, zippers, and belt buckles. I would wage you that on balance, ToneGards have done more to prevent scratches on mandolins than caused them!

Finally, it seems ironic to me that some of the very same people who worry about small scratches on the sides from ToneGard prongs are ones who routinely remove the pickguards from their mandolins, and proceed to develop scratches on the tops, either from flatpicks or from their fingers being planted. Can you spell h-y-p-o-c-r-i-s-y?

25. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Time and use will tell ! Only way to know is to try it ! I did and I could not tell any difference in volume/loudness with the ToneGard installed. I wrapped the prongs that make contact with the mandolin body with micro-fiber material and no marks on finish was observed. I can see where the ToneGard would protect the back from scratches however. I finally sold the ToneGard as when I hold my mandolin I do hold it away from my belly and I do not wear any buttons or material that could scratch the back. I would use a ToneGard if I could hear any more volume however ! Just not for me !

I just got a ToneGard for Christmas and I'm amazed at the more pleasant and resonant tone it seems to have drawn from my "The Loar" 520-VS. I noticed it the moment after I put it on and started playing. And this was sitting down, where my body was already in just the minimal "correct" contact with the instrument in the right places (i.e., no belly issue).

I don't know why ToneGard has this effect, but it does. Maybe someone with acoustic engineering expertise could explain it. I'm thinking there's something about the way the wires contact the back of the mandolin and perhaps conduct or vibrate with it may do something, or maybe just the added mass to the body of the instrument beefs up the sound. No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by callmegina View Post
    I just got a ToneGard for Christmas and I'm amazed at the more pleasant and resonant tone it seems to have drawn from my "The Loar" 520-VS. I noticed it the moment after I put it on and started playing. And this was sitting down, where my body was already in just the minimal "correct" contact with the instrument in the right places (i.e., no belly issue).

I don't know why ToneGard has this effect, but it does. Maybe someone with acoustic engineering expertise could explain it. I'm thinking there's something about the way the wires contact the back of the mandolin and perhaps conduct or vibrate with it may do something, or maybe just the added mass to the body of the instrument beefs up the sound. No idea.
    Different players have different results just as they do with different mandolins, picks, etc !

"platinum cured medical grade tubing......."

"maybe someone with acoustic engineering expertise could explain it......"

DUDE, it's a bracket! Like a kick-stand on a bicycle......

As always, THANKS to all on this forum for starting the new year off with a good chuckle!

And, sure, if a $75 bracket and a $35 pick add to your playing pleasure -- more power to ya!

(me, I'm going to stick with my lucky polka-dot socks! )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    "platinum cured medical grade tubing......."

"maybe someone with acoustic engineering expertise could explain it......"

DUDE, it's a bracket! Like a kick-stand on a bicycle......

As always, THANKS to all on this forum for starting the new year off with a good chuckle!

And, sure, if a $75 bracket and a $35 pick add to your playing pleasure -- more power to ya!

(me, I'm going to stick with my lucky polka-dot socks! )
    And opinions are like a--holes, everyone has one !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    My wife got me a new Tone Guard for Christmas, it says not to use on a soft Varnish finish but I want to use it on my 24 Loar F-5? I know I seen Loar owners who have them on theirs? What do ya'll recommend? Maybe wrap the clear vinyl/rubber tubes with cloth? I just don't want to mess up the finish? I've had a tone guard on my one old F-7 conversion for 10 years or more and you can tell where the rubber tubes were when you take it off? I'm not too worried well at all with the 7 but the Loar-YES
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    Ok I heard back from the owner Tony Piers and he said the new stuff isn't clear plastic its some very expensive high grade medical tubing "tygon 3350 platinum cured" and way better than the old stuff he used so he said many Loar owners use with no worry. I will also.
    Very good question...

I had also heard about the newer plastic tubing working better, that's what my ToneGards have on them, however I do not have a varnished mandolin (or a Loar for that matter )...

I'd still suggest talking to Dave Harvey about this... IF anyone would know if there is a way to use a ToneGard on a Loar safely, he would.

Congratulations on just having this kind of problem to solve!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Unlike a Blue Chip pick where you have to buy to try, you can easily test to see if a toneguard is for you. Just stand up with a strap and hang your mandolin in space. Strum a chord, now stand straight with the mandolin against you and strum. Is the out in space a tone to die for, obviously better in every way? Buy one. No? Then don't.

I can see someone with a lively resonant mandolin wanting to dampen it some. It's up to you.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I can see someone with a lively resonant mandolin wanting to dampen it some. It's up to you.
    Is this just a hypothetical musing? Writing for myself, I have never, ever come across any mandolin player who was seeking to dampen his own instrument, on the grounds that it was somehow "too lively"!

Or course, I have come across other musicians whose instruments I would have dearly loved to dampen (!), but that's a another topic entirely! LOL.

34. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I don't know if anyone has said it yet, but yes, they help a ton.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Wouldn't it be great to have a devise you could engage at a jam so you could hear yourself but no one else could? Then by the fourth go around you could throw the switch and be heard.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1