Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: tonguards ..do they really work?

Default Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

I had two, have one now. They definitely work for the player, not so sure for someone away. A couple things that I did notice, if playing with a pickup, more chance for feedback. If playing in an air conditioned room the tone guard holds the mandolin away from your warm body leaving an air space and not letting the mandolin warm up on the back while cool on the front. Stays in tune better in my opinion. Not using one for the last few months, but still keeping one around.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

2. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Not sure, I buy the Stetson hat theory.........you can undo your strap at the endpin then reattach it and leave your hat on -- very simple. OR, you can take your hat off for two seconds, put on your mandolin, then put your hat back on -- at the end of your gig simply reverse the process. You are out four seconds, no biggee, as far as I can see........

Freddie King wore his strap that way didn't even wear a hat! (or a tonegard!)

And, you're right, it's getting silly, but that is what we do here -- talk about a bunch of small details that brings enjoyment to our hobby, hopefully. So, it is a worthwhile goal even if most of this stuff has already been talked to death, IMHO.
    Couple of small points - 1) you can’t undo a banjo strap easily, and2) they were loath to take their hats off because they had 'bluegrass hair' - long hair that was tucked up under their hats and would fall out when hat was removed.

I don’t actually doubt tha the tone was important but I think that was a side product rather than the aim
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Aw shucks, fellas! Just having a little fun. I will, however, require full documentation and a bibliography for those interviews, if you don't mind.....you can post them here, if you want..........

I like the "Bluegrass Hair" theory, but honestly something as great as Bluegrass Hair deserves its own thread or maybe even website.

Thanks to the magic of youtube, you can see Monroe raise his mandolin high to the mic for his solo, much like Johnny Cash did later -- possibly in tribute to Monroe, who knows? A lot of the rockabilly guys did Monroe covers -- Elvis did Blue Moon of Kentucky, Ronnie Self did Rocky Road Blues, Carl Perkins spoke of Monroe being an influence. And again, back to the hair -- I just realized Bluegrass Hair is just a less greasy version of Rockabilly Hair! We may be on the verge of a breakthrough in musical research......all thanks to this forum.

Easy to find, hatless photos of Bill and Charlie Monroe with Bill wearing his strap this way, pre-Bluegrass Boys.......hmmm.

None of those guys used a tonegard to my knowledge and still made great music, IMHO. Which takes nothing away from all those who use one and ALSO make great music!

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

sblock 

What year did tone-gard come to market?
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

https://bluegrasstoday.com/ricky-ska...luegrass-hair/

Bluegrass hair.

And, not to be too smart-alecky, the mike technique is because they didn't have pickups....
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    https://bluegrasstoday.com/ricky-ska...luegrass-hair/

Bluegrass hair.

And, not to be too smart-alecky, the mike technique is because they didn't have pickups....

Country music has really, really lost its identity. It’s tried to be something that it’s not for so long now, it doesn’t know what it’s supposed to be. It’s really lost its way. There’s groups out there that are making good-sounding records but they have such a rock influence or such a pop influence. It’s too rock to be country or too country to be rock. It’s just… somewhere, hanging in the balance.
    Been saying this for a long time......
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    Been saying this for a long time......
    I think it was one of the Geezinslaw Brothers who first said it: "Nowadays, country music is just poor rock and roll."
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

10. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

B381 

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    We just called it "hat hair"
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Very few even actually "play" music anymore either. But, they do fake it and fool the pop generation well.
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmybikes View Post
    Ain’t no way I’m puttin’ Any tone guard on my Mando.
    The’re ugly!
    Not nearly as ugly as the back of your baby can end up without the protection afforded, not to mention the tonal boon.
    Blessings

You can buy a brand new sofa and cover it with slip covers, so 20 years from now the next owner will get a mint condition sofa! (that you never got to enjoy.....or see!)

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Not nearly as ugly as the back of your baby can end up without the protection afforded, not to mention the tonal boon.
    Blessings
    bah. Play wear is beautiful.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

You can buy a brand new sofa and cover it with slip covers, so 20 years from now the next owner will get a mint condition sofa! (that you never got to enjoy.....or see!)
    If I played my sofa, that might be a meaningful analogy.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

This thread has become a little crazy. You are now comparing a tone-gard to a baby's butt. Come on. Moderators, I think this thread needs to be closed.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    This thread has become a little crazy. You are now comparing a tone-gard to a baby's butt. Come on. Moderators, I think this thread needs to be closed.
    Dude..relax..why does it matter to you? Let people post what they want. If you don't approve, just move on..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    If I played my sofa, that might be a meaningful analogy.
    Don't worry, I've got a bunch of 'em! The main thing I find off-putting is that to get the most out of my mega-dollar mandolin, I have to buy a $75 gadget to clip on the back of it. Now, I live in the South, so I see a lot of brand new Cadillacs with giant aftermarket chrome rims on them. I know those rims bring their owners a great deal of pride, even though I think they look ridiculous. I also know that Cadillac had their best engineers design the factory rims that come with the car for the best possible performance...........

am I getting close?

An Armani suit with a K-mart bowtie?

For the older members.......to me it resembles a Rube Goldberg solution to a perceived problem.....for the younger members, Google him.....

But, again, why should I take away somebody's fun..........

Don't worry, I've got a bunch of 'em! The main thing I find off-putting is that to get the most out of my mega-dollar mandolin, I have to buy a $75 gadget to clip on the back of it. Now, I live in the South, so I see a lot of brand new Cadillacs with giant aftermarket chrome rims on them. I know those rims bring their owners a great deal of pride, even though I think they look ridiculous. I also know that Cadillac had their best engineers design the factory rims that come with the car for the best possible performance...........

am I getting close?

An Armani suit with a K-mart bowtie?

For the older members.......to me it resembles a Rube Goldberg solution to a perceived problem.....for the younger members, Google him.....

But, again, why should I take away somebody's fun..........
    I think you're lucky that only $75 makes your $3000 mandolin sound like a million bucks!
    Your analogy falls flat because fancy car rims are just for looks, not performance. The tonegard is exactly the opposite - better performance, not looks.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Dude..relax..why does it matter to you? Let people post what they want. If you don't approve, just move on..
    The reason I care is this forum was designed to give good and informative information about the subject at hand. This 3rd grade humor is not needed and should be left to your twitter accounts. We do a disservice to the OP when the comments go off topic. Lets be helpful, not hurtful.

I personally don't mind a little humor every now and then, to lighten it up
    Tons of sarcasm and patronizing talk is done. I would rather they removed that and left a little humor...

Still wondering, does anyone know what year Tone-Gard first came to market?
    2011 Black A5 (#9) Mandolin
    1952 Gibson A-40N Mandolin
    1924 Gibson TB-1 Trapdoor Tenor Banjo
    1975 Gibson MK-35 Hybrid Braced Dreadnought Guitar
    1993 Washburn M3 SW/TS F-Style Mandolin
    2004 Martin D-16 GT Dreadnought Guitar
    2006 Martin DC-16RGTE AURA Dreadnought Guitar
    1997 Seagull S6 Dreadnought Guitar
    1970's Kay KB-52 5-String Banjo
    1960's Pirles 4-String Tenor Banjo

i986, I think.
    David Hopkins

27. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

treidm 

A tone guard will make a mandolin whose player holds it so 70% of the back surface rests against the body sound louder and more resonant 100% of the time, and a mandolin held mostly away from the body will sound no different 100% of the time.

Weather you like your mandolin's sound dampened by your body is entirely up to you.

Plus, if you have a case a mandolin with a toneguard will fit in, it will leave it's imprint in the lining. My MK will never have one, though it shows the most benefit. Just not going to spend the money on my beater. My Silverangel has had one for a while and its not going anywhere. Arches F probably will if it will fit in it's case. Gibson A 1 will never have one because, well, that would just be wrong.

There, 171 opinions. It only matters that mine is correct.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

29. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

171 entries here and it boils down to: "Yes, it does" or "No, it doesn't." ♫

And, Brick, you're wrong. MY opinion is right.
    David Hopkins

Blog Entries

My wife got me a new Tone Guard for Christmas, it says not to use on a soft Varnish finish but I want to use it on my 24 Loar F-5? I know I seen Loar owners who have them on theirs? What do ya'll recommend? Maybe wrap the clear vinyl/rubber tubes with cloth? I just don't want to mess up the finish? I've had a tone guard on my one old F-7 conversion for 10 years or more and you can tell where the rubber tubes were when you take it off? I'm not too worried well at all with the 7 but the Loar-YES

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    My wife got me a new Tone Guard for Christmas, it says not to use on a soft Varnish finish but I want to use it on my 24 Loar F-5? I know I seen Loar owners who have them on theirs? What do ya'll recommend? Maybe wrap the clear vinyl/rubber tubes with cloth? I just don't want to mess up the finish? I've had a tone guard on my one old F-7 conversion for 10 years or more and you can tell where the rubber tubes were when you take it off? I'm not too worried well at all with the 7 but the Loar-YES
    When I use to have one many years ago I wrapped the rubber covered prongs with microfiber cloth pieces and this did help. However, the way I held/hold my mandolin the tonguard did not increase volume from my mandolin.

33. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Tone guards are a non-athletic solution for little tiny instrument resting on top of a giant belly....!!!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post: