Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: tonguards ..do they really work?

Default Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    All great thoughts to ponder...i am thinking now
    I may hold off on purchasing the tg for a few months..first the ellis came in a tkl case.
    I highly doubt it will fit.i am having a case
    Made for it by wayne perry from aus. He is scheduled to start in june..not sure how
    Long that takes...but time is good to let it
    Cure. I could always play it like a rock star.
    Like that guy from the steeldrivers. A long enough
    Strap and i could hold it under my craft beer investment. t
    There is a marked difference in tone as well as vol.
    When i hold this instrument away from me. A tribute to its fine light and responsive construction.
    The thing is that we have established beyond a reasonable doubt that it would improve your tone and volume, and that it actually works. And so logically, you will probably not get one at this time because of a case issue that isn't proven to be relevant to your situation. Alrighty then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    All great thoughts to ponder...i am thinking now
    I may hold off on purchasing the tg for a few months..first the ellis came in a tkl case.
    I highly doubt it will fit.i am having a case
    Made for it by wayne perry from aus. He is scheduled to start in june..not sure how
    Long that takes...but time is good to let it
    Cure. I could always play it like a rock star.
    Like that guy from the steeldrivers. A long enough
    Strap and i could hold it under my craft beer investment. t
    There is a marked difference in tone as well as vol.
    When i hold this instrument away from me. A tribute to its fine light and responsive construction.
    This may not help your decision making at this point, but both my Gibson and MK F-styles have fit in a standard TKL case with ToneGards (and armrests, and pickguards) installed.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Does anyone know where I can buy a toneguard in the UK ?

Thanks, Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Got an email from Tony. The new tubing he uses is 3350 lab-grade,platinum-cured silicon. He was led to using it by a mandolin-playing
    chemistry prof. at Stanford U. The new stuff is completely inert and microscopically non-porus. A 50 foot roll costs $100. The older black vac hose
    tubing is $16 for same length.

Tony says"nothing is perfect". Some do not like the milky white color,saying it looks cheap. Also,some have said it tends to grab onto the case lining
    more than the black stuff.

I will always have a ToneGuard on my mandos and ukes.

PS:My apologies. I replied before reading Tony's post explaining the new tubing.

I suppose this is a pet peeve of mine, but people: the tubing on Tone-Gards is made of SILICONE, not silicon. Silicone is a polymer, consisting of a polysiloxane elastomer. It's a part of the synthetic rubber family, and it can be used for making things like elastic tubing, breast implants, and seals. Silicon is a chemical element, and a semiconductor. It is commonly used for making transistors, photodetectors, computer chips, and so forth. Stanford University is in Silicon Valley. Las Vegas, you might say, is in Silicone Valley!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Received my vintage model yesterday and put it on my 1929 A Jr. Wow. What a difference! Sorry, but I am now a huge advocate. Really opened up the sound. And the instrument still fits in the original case. A bit tight, but it fits.

That, along with the changing of the tuners yesterday has made this instrument ready to go for any upcoming engagement.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I got new silicone tubes from Tony for my Weber, old style black tubes had been on for about 10 years. I was ready to see damage in the varnish, nope? There was a small ridge of goop from drinks, sweat, pick dust, and string vapors. It wiped clean with a damp cloth. In addition to improving tone and projection, it has kept the back very well protected, and I play lots.
    Don't doubt the gard, protect your tone!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I've had a Tone-Guard on two varnish Collings. After two years I took it off, anticipating a finish mess. Nope, not a sign it was ever there. And I'd consider the Collings finish to be somewhat reactive, at least to tuners (permanent imprint on headstock) and arm rests (cork adhered to finish).

As for tone, I can hear a clear difference and much prefer the sustain, clarity and projection with the Tone-Guard. Even holding instrument just by the neck, it sounds better with Tone-Guard. Maybe the increased mass around the air box does something. Add less important but useful features such as back protection and better balance/reduced neck dive and I think Tone-Guard is a no-brainer.

10. The following members say thank you to MandoAblyss for this post:

Curious if the OP actuall followed through and got a Tone Guard eventually? Well, did you? If yes, what do you think of it now?

I used one a number of years ago but not now. The way I hold my mandolin I didn't notice any increase in volume with the tone guard. Plus, there is more of a chance to scratch the mandolin so a no go for me ! Others swear by it however !

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I have one on my Breedlove. It does make it louder. Not WAY louder, but noticeably louder. BTW, it fits in its Breedlove case with the TG on the back. Same with my F9 in it's Travelite case.
    Living’ in the Mitten

I know mine works.....did the "corner test".....lol
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Yes. Both the Rigel and Eastman 515 wear one at all times, along with a Longhollow Softy strap. The 515 also sports a McClung OTP arm rest between the 'Gard and the wood.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

It works on my Flatiron! It made quite a noticeable difference in volume for me. Thanks to TG peeps!

GJ Project

This is one of those things that depend entirely on how you hold a mandolin, and how much beer you have consumed.

If there is a lot of back surface resting on your beer inhanced stomach, it will make quite a difference.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

18. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Short answer - Yes!
    Long answer - not everyone needs or likes one, but most who have tried one use them all the time.

20. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Short answer - Yes!
    Long answer - not everyone needs or likes one, but most who have tried one use them all the time.
    Good answer
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    If there is a lot of back surface resting on your beer inhanced stomach, it will make quite a difference.
    This no doubt explains the noticeable tonal improvement when I have the ToneGuard in place.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
    This no doubt explains the noticeable tonal improvement when I have the ToneGuard in place.
    When the situation calls for subdued playing, I find it useful to have a built in mandolin mute, honed by years of drinking. I also find it useful to have a tonegard for every other time.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

A lot better than damaging the varnish, holding the mandolin against the Sweaty T shirt,
    you may be wearing..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Had one and didn't like it it ! Probably by the way I hold my mandolin but I got just as much volume without it as with it !

28. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

I like mine.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Blog Entries

If you already play with the back of the instrument away from your body, it won't make any difference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I have a Flatiron A5, I am extremely skeptical of tone improvement gimmicks, but the Toneguard works as advertised. If you think of the instrument as a combination of vibrating pieces, it makes sense that dampening vibration with your belly would dampen the sound of the instrument. I do not agree with the notion that all that matters of the back plate is the REFLECTION of the sound back out to the front. The back has much more impact than that. it's ability to freely vibrate affects the tone in a notable way. You may notice some old timers (Including Bill Monroe when soloing) holding the mando away from their body with only the tail anchored on their chest. Before the toneguard, this is how people would free up the back to vibrate.

The idea that it only affects the sound for the player makes little sense. Something that is resonating freely is going to have a different sound. It may be less noticeable the further away you are, it might be more noticeable with a close mic, and less noticeable with plate mounted pickup, but there will be some effect.

Don't buy a knockoff. The real ones are not that expensive.

33. The following members say thank you to vince f for this post:

Look at the list of people using them. Now email the guy that makes them and ask if he pays them anything. The answer should shed some light on whether they work or not.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4