Thread: The Charlie Derringon Interview - coming later this week

Blog Entries

Default The Charlie Derringon Interview - coming later this week

Initial plan was to wait until next Sunday but think we'll be publishing the never before seen interview with Charlie Derrington recorded February 25, 1986 later this week, probably Thursday or Friday. This is from the Scott Wright collection that resulted in the interview with Bill Monroe on his farm and Monroe being reunited with his mandolin at the Gibson factory post-repair.

Few screen shots follow. This was recorded shortly after the presentation of Monroe's mandolin to him at the Gibson factory. The final two frames are the other Loar damaged at the same time. I've had brief discussions with a few folks that have confirmed its whereabouts at this time are still unknown, although there seems to be a prevailing theory about what happened to it. I'll let others chime in if they wish. Wouldn't be surprised that at least a few people on this forum know.

Several surprises in this but why spoil the fun by giving them away?

And there's more. Going to be a fun summer sharing all of this.

Charlie Derrington Interview

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Charlie Derringon Interview - coming later this week

Lloyd Loar the 2nd right there.

Default Re: The Charlie Derringon Interview - coming later this week

Quote - "Wouldn't be surprised that at least a few people on this forum know..". I imagine more than few folk know ''who did it'' as well !.

The more i read about Charlie Derrington's work in repairing the 2 mandolins,the more amazed i am. Talk about having faith in one's own abilities - the guy was incredibly talented,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.