Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nice, clean notes

Default Re: Nice, clean notes

I agree with Bill, go slow.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    It can go a bit deeper than that. Here's a classic you can reference - http://www.music-cog.ohio-state.edu/...es/Meyer1.html
    That was interesting. I was kidding around but I wonder what Meyer has to say on performance and the theatrics which sometimes accompanies it? I once saw a perfect send-up of Frank Sinatra by Mel Brooks in which he slung the cord attached to his mic over his shoulder as if he were being whipped or was carrying a heavy burden. Silly, macho stuff ...

Ah grazie. Can't hit the curve ball!

"You want emotion?" - Skip Bittman
    Last edited by catmandu2; May-12-2017 at 2:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    "Emotional" … I've been thinking about this. By emotional I hope you mean verisimilitude - being true to the song … in tune with the tune - and not some overly dramatic, blood sweat and tears "show." To me, emotional mandolin music suggests images of grimacing rockstars grappling with giant snails - locked in coital embrace and squeezing out notes like spermatozoa: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5+Carlos+Santana.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	157032

I said emotional not sexual. If the music has no feeling ( emotion) then it ain't music it's just a string of notes played one after the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I said emotional not sexual. If the music has no feeling ( emotion) then it ain't music it's just a string of notes played one after the other.
    Agreed - 100%. Emotion is such an … emotive word, however - never quite sure what's meant by it. I'm getting so that if I see someone "emoting" the lyrics to a song or hear yet another "whoa-oh-whoa-oh-yeah-e-yeah" filler in it, I stop listening.

Here's what I mean - a great artist pushing all the wrong buttons for all the wrong reasons:

6. The following members say thank you to billkilpatrick for this post:

it all begins with a good setup for action and intonation. that part is probably overlooked the most and can make an incredible mando life changing difference. the typical offender are the frets and the typical fix is a proper level and crown. string and nut relief values are tres importante as well. some folks also think that smaller, "vintage" frets are best as well.

then the "right" strings, the "right" pick, good fretting and strumming hand techniques, then a lotta "physical therapy" (practice).
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

8. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

===========

I have REALLY been struggling with 'clean notes' lately - partially due to some effects from a case of trigger finger, and partially because I am just not a good player - but at least I realized my deficiencies, and I am working in it . . . also, as rfd pointed out above, having the right set-up, etc. to the instrument is a key element - also something that I am working on.

Bill - I understand your distaste for the "whoa-oh-whoa-oh-yeah-e-yeah" stuff. The Aretha Franklin video above is not working, but I was in Philadelphia last year when she sang 'Amazing Grace' or the Pope - and it just about made my ears bleed . . .

From Bill K. - " How long must I wait to be able to do them ?." For me - coming up to 15,000 hours right now !.

My wife asked me a week or so ago why i play the same tunes over & over - i do it to be able to play them in exactly the way we're talking about - cleanly,with good definition.

Here's about 90% of my ''Practice tune'' list - i've played almost every tune at the very least 50 times over & counting (being VERY honest,a few i've hardly touched - but VERY few - good intentions & all that !). Some of them,i must have played 100 times +. I've got other folders dedicated to ''individual bands'' as well - 'Lonesome River Band'' / 'Del McCoury' / 'Blue Highway' / 'Infamous Stringdusters' etc. - they all get 'visited' daily. It's the ONLY way for me - practice,practice,practice & with attention to 'how well' i play any tune.

I managed to get close to 8 hours in yesterday - my wife's away visiting her invalid sister for a few days,so i could get some ''TV pickin'' goin' on to iron out any kinks in my playing. It's 100 % about careful practice both with regard to what you're playing & how you're playing it.,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practice tunes.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	250.1 KB 
ID:	157047
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I have to say it's getting better with me - noodling around doesn't work but if I concentrate and set my mind to it, I only get the odd buzz and "thub" now - far fewer of them at any rate. Result!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    I have REALLY been struggling with 'clean notes' lately - partially due to some effects from a case of trigger finger, ......
    as it appears you, like me, have "dupuytren's disease", it's an out patient fix and about a three week surgical recovery. i've had six fingers done over the course of about 21 years. "trigger finger" (inflammation of the the tendon sheath) is just an unwanted genetic legacy from ancestry linked to the Mediterranean part of the world. i feel yer pain. pick yer hand surgeon well and get back to normal playing. this disease is no longer a big deal as it was in the past. good luck mike.

"Dupuytren's disease" … Ahhh … I'll put my hand up in the air as well. Most evenings I'll drink 2 to 3 beers - don't think that classifies as a "problem" or not but alcohol is a major contributing factor. According to MD friends, genetics plays a part as well.

Mene mene tekel upharsin ...

indeed sir, over imbibing is over indulging, and a sad disease all to itself. drink smart. higgly piggly tiggly wiggly.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    "Dupuytren's disease" … Ahhh … I'll put my hand up in the air as well. Most evenings I'll drink 2 to 3 beers - don't think that classifies as a "problem" or not but alcohol is a major contributing factor. According to MD friends, genetics plays a part as well.

Mene mene tekel upharsin ...
    Now there's an obscure biblical reference. Maybe the writing's on the wall, but the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; May-13-2017 at 11:41am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Interesting that we all jump to the fretting hand. Good suggestions and lots of food for thought. I am of the opinion that the picking hand is just as important. If your coordination between the hands is off or you have sloppy technique you won't have good sound. Practice slowly and deliberately. Find some good exercises. Dawg, O'Brien, and Jethro Burns all have good ones. Getting into Jazz Mandolin has some excellent FFCP exercises you can download for free. One thing that really helped me was learning to play more softly. I don't know if it makes you relax or playing more softly reduces buzz, but it works. Think about both hands and getting them working together.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Exclamation Re: Nice, clean notes

imho, the absolute most important first step towards better mandolin (or any fretted instrument) playing is getting the instrument set up for its maximum playability. playability is Always numero uno for any instrument. don't matter how wonderful it might sound, if playability is lacking then it's a useless instrument, at least to me. this means making the adjustments for neck and nut reliefs, bridge/saddle physical evaluations and possible tweaks, and then the biggie - the frets.

once the playability is resolved to be the best it can be, THEN yer ready to really learn how to control that instrument and not "learn" bad habits, or never positively progress your playing, due to a not-so playable instrument.

too many folks don't wanna hear the above, don't wanna waste money and time, but it's the gospel for fretted instruments. so, if you don't understand mandolin setups, or if yer unsure of yer current mando's playability, go get it checked out by your local guitar/mando techie.

Evidently not looking at your fingers is the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    imho, the absolute most important first step towards better mandolin (or any fretted instrument) playing is getting the instrument set up for its maximum playability. playability is Always numero uno for any instrument. don't matter how wonderful it might sound, if playability is lacking then it's a useless instrument, at least to me. this means making the adjustments for neck and nut reliefs, bridge/saddle physical evaluations and possible tweaks, and then the biggie - the frets.

once the playability is resolved to be the best it can be, THEN yer ready to really learn how to control that instrument and not "learn" bad habits, or never positively progress your playing, due to a not-so playable instrument.

too many folks don't wanna hear the above, don't wanna waste money and time, but it's the gospel for fretted instruments. so, if you don't understand mandolin setups, or if yer unsure of yer current mando's playability, go get it checked out by your local guitar/mando techie.
    I wanted to quote all of that because I agree with it 100%

I just spent the last couple of days messing with my mandolin's setup as part of a regular seasonal thing; the change in household average temperatures and humidity this time of year in the Pacific Northwest.

Small adjustment in neck relief, tiny turns of the bridge height to follow, slacking off strings and bringing them back up to pitch for the adjustments, slacking them down again, rinse and repeat. Dialing it in for the lowest action I can get without buzzing.

This is why I think it's important to learn how to do basic setup work on your instrument. Not as far as fret work... leveling, etc. I leave that to a pro, and I'm probably getting close to needing some fret work. But aside from fret work, I'm able to constantly (or at least seasonally) adjust my action height to make sure I'm as close as I can get to the frets with medium strings and no buzzing. Or that weak sound you get when it's not quite buzzing, but the strings are barely touching the frets enough somewhere along the fretboard to kill volume and tone.

I agree with that last paragraph especially, but I would still stress that it's not that hard to learn how to do this yourself. If you always rely on a local store or repair tech for your setup work, then you're likely to let the instrument go pretty far out of whack before doing something about it. Because it's a PITA to leave your instrument somewhere, and it costs money. Instead, lean how to do at least minimal setup work yourself. Save your money for the stuff that's harder to do, like fret work, and your instrument will at least be in the best shape to start working on fingering issues for clear tone.

Having to push down hard to fret each note may work for some folks, but it's more effort than needed to get clear tone.

From Bill K - "...noodling around doesn't work, but if I concentrate...". ''Noodling around'' is what i meant by ''TV pickin' ''. I concentrate on what i'm doing even then,the TV is simply 'background noise'. I hear any tune / song 'in my head' & i play it until i play it ''how i hear it''. Once i've got that,i'll play it over & over until i can play it without thinking about it. Then all it takes it to play it a few dozen times to hammer it home - job done !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.