Thread: How to hold the pick?

Default How to hold the pick?

Here is a video I made on the topic of holding the pick for mandolin playing. I've recently changed the way I hold my pick to a more traditional grip, and I think it's working better for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-bcVkZaPI

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guitarlifter For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to hold the pick?

I am still trying to figure out my strumming on the mandolin, especially when I switch back and forth with my guitar during a jam session or just playing at night. Right now I am using a hard pick, not sure of the specs. Great video, also like the others. Subscribed.

I also think that for mandolin and flatpick guitar (playing melody lines) you need a relatively loose grip to allow the pick to move a bit. Maybe it is a different style than you are aiming for which seems a tighter grip.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I went through same evolution. Prob most guitar players do. The pickguard helped me remember to close my hand. I have mostly given up the pinkie plant now and that sped me up again. Now I'm working on giving up the armwrest plant of my forearm and that really frees me up. Tremelo is a work in progress.

One thing I notice about advanced players is that, compared to me, they dont choke up on the pick. I mean they leave a lot of pick out and seem to barely hold on to it. I am trying that but its tough for me. Slow I can be loose. But when I speed up melody leads, I seem to really clinch down.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

It's always cool to read or hear about how a mandolin newbie is progressing by changing old guitar habits. I think an important element is that no matter how long you've been playing a certain way, don't be afraid to experiment and invest the time to make changes for improving or broadening you technique. No matter how awkward it seems at first, with a little practice old habits can be changed.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff