Thread: Summertime

Default Summertime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99PlbmNy-k0

For TB or TG cgda. I know a lot of different versions out there on this one. I would love to hear any versions on TG.

dc

Default Re: Summertime

I'm curious as to what you all think, as tenor guitarists......is the highest percentage in Tenor Guitar' interests nowadays mostly Irish/Celtic music? I know it's not Bluegrass...because I've heard none, and Bluegrass is a passion of mine. I don't think its Jazz either. I'm relatively new to Jazz on the tenor, but it's my greatest passion at the moment, and I don't see much interest in it either. I guess I'd just like to know what your favorite type of music is that you are playing on your tenor guitar? Where is your heart when you are playing this instrument?
    David

Anyone out there? In this world of high speed?

Not a soul, not a snail.

I tried to view I tbut, it said it was a private video and I need to sign in, What's with that?

The video was crap George. What kind of music do you play on your tenor guitar? Seriously.....I'm really interested in what others are playing on there tenor? I think Irish is the music of choice, but I'm just curious as to what everyone is playing. I LOVE Irish music......I can't play a lick of it.....but I love it.

David

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Hi David, I found the tenor guitar through playing the tenor banjo.
    A friend of mine had bought a beaten up vintage tenor guitar and asked me to take a look at it, that was about 6 years ago and was the first tenor I had ever seen or even heard.
    So I started off playing all Irish stuff in GDAE
    Now I own 12 tenor guitars, I still play Irish tunes in GDAE but I also strum folk tunes around the fire and lots of 'sing a long' songs at dinner party's.
    I have a couple of short scale tenors that I prefer to play Irish tunes on & I like my flat top 23" scales to play chords and songs that work with longer sustained notes.
    I am always working on chord melodies for songs by the Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel and old classics...

12 tenors!.....wow, that's awesome. I love the Beatles and S G too. I need to work on some of that stuff.
    Thanks Fox

I haven't got as many tenor guitars as Fox, gotta make do with 3, two acoustics and one electric by Eastwood. (My only guitar with a Bigsby!).
    I started out playing those nice tabs by Will Fly, but have learned to read music in CGDA tuning and now am able to play my own arrangements.
    Recently, I began to tackle some arrangements that are a little more difficult, Chord-Melody stuff,like this nice arrangement of
    "Nobody knows the Trouble I've seen"

Still got to practice a lot!

9. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

derbex 

Great version criss! Nice chords, and a cool video as well. How do like your Eastwood with the Bigsby? I've been wanting to try one of their guitars, but haven't had opportunity yet.

Thanks for the music!

Thanks a lot! The chords are part of the arrangement I found in the German book"Deep River" by Klaus Buhé.
    I relly like my Eastwood, but I have to admit that I mostly use the neck PU.
    As on a Gibson SG, the bridge PU sounds best when distorted...

I like jazz. I like folk stuff - particularly hornpipes and modern tunes by folk artists in a traditional style. I love French music - the expressive qualities of the instrument really suit that idiom. Music from the 1920s and 1930s also hits my spot.

Basically, if I hear a tune and a light bulb in my head flashes "tenor", then that's a tune for me!

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Quote Originally Posted by dcav View Post
    12 tenors!.....wow, that's awesome. I love the Beatles and S G too. I need to work on some of that stuff.
    Thanks Fox
    You or Criss could help me out with this one ..... https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...28#post1575528