Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how many A-12 Gibbys were made?

Default Does anyone know how many A-12 Gibbys were made?

Does anyone know how many Gibson A-12 Lump Scroll "Gumbys" were made?

Default Re: Does anyone know how many A-12 Gibbys were made?

Don't know about the production question. But I know for some the name "gibby" is evocative. Apparently not so much for "Gil, Dude, Bent," and others I see used. My effort is to respect those feelings while I'm here fwiw - last thing I want is to offend someone, especially over a musical instrument.

Perhaps having said that, folks can address the production issue, without need to jab at DScott. Welcome, btw!

The answer is that Gibson made too many. There are no production numbers available that I am aware of. They aren't rare, they pop up just about monthly on eBay, generally at prices they will never sell for.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Really? I generally don't look to stir the pot, but if someone would get worked up over something benign as calling an instrument Gibby, I would wonder how they'd react to something of actual importance

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lowlands Blue For This Useful Post:

People get worked up for less.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Don't know about the production question. But I know for some the name "gibby" is evocative. Apparently not so much for "Gil, Dude, Bent," and others I see used. My effort is to respect those feelings while I'm here fwiw - last thing I want is to offend someone, especially over a musical instrument.

Perhaps having said that, folks can address the production issue.
    HUH?!? Methinks thou doth protest too much!

Perhaps you actually meant to write "provocative", and not "evocative"? The word "evocative" simply means to bring strong images into the mind. But you seem concerned about possible offense, so maybe you misspoke? Evocative words are not offensive, but provocative words can be.

Regardless, the word "Gibby" (for Gibson) is a fairly common nickname in the musical world, and it does not, to my knowledge, carry any pejorative connotation at all. It is often used affectionately, in fact. And it is no more deprecating that the other examples you mentioned, for example, "Gil" (for Gilchrist) or "Dude" (for Dudenbostel). No offense is intended by these nicknames, and no offense should be taken, either.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

If you are looking for some sort of valuation on your A-12 two have sold in the last month on eBay, one for $1,095.00 and one for less than 1,195.00 (best offer was selected). Might be the same one, I don't know. There are two on Reverb.com right now, one for $1,058.00 (listed a month ago) and another for $1,699.00 (listed 9 months ago). I would suspect the latter listing will be up for a while.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-09-2017 at 1:05pm.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    HUH?!? Methinks thou doth protest too much!

Perhaps you actually meant to write "provocative", and not "evocative"?..

No, I meant "to evoke." But thanks

...The word "evocative" simply means to bring strong images into the mind..
    Not specifically. Bringing 'images' to mind would be but one aspect, for we could evoke emotions as well, etc ..

HUH?!? [I]
    Regardless, the word "Gibby" (for Gibson) is a fairly common nickname in the musical world, and it does not, to my knowledge, carry any pejorative connotation at all.
    They've been called far worse, like....all the time...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Regardless, the word "Gibby" (for Gibson) is a fairly common nickname in the musical world, and it does not, to my knowledge, carry any pejorative connotation at all. It is often used affectionately, in fact. And it is no more deprecating that the other examples you mentioned, for example, "Gil" (for Gilchrist) or "Dude" (for Dudenbostel). No offense is intended by these nicknames, and no offense should be taken, either.
    Well, this is my experience too. But we haven't heard from the folks who feel otherwise.

Thanks guys! I've learned my lesson - to be careful what I type. I meant to say "gumby" (and I use it and "gimby" affectionately) for the lump scroll Gibson A12 in both the title and the question. I get a feeling y'all don't think much of that model. I just wondered if perhaps a positive point would be that it is fairly rare. Apparently it's not rare enough!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    People get worked up for less.
    I know I know, I just bought the original "GUMBY" the 37 Cromwell G6, I think 9 made. It should be here at my place on thursday.. I have a thing for those odd ball 30's Gibby's. I think the G6's are formed/pressed top/back,X braced? It comes with a 1940's obscure case.looks like that era and bought it for about the price as the A-12's. The case may be worth a little chunk in itself?

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Rare doesn't always equal desired or valuable. If you've got one and you're in love with it that is cool. The first Gibson lump scrolls were on one Gibson second line mandolin sold in the 30's. Those we had some numbers on and I think they made 6. It wasn't branded Gibson.

I see bluegrasser78 has filled in the Cromwell information. My mind wasn't grabbing the brand name. To me that one might have some value as a collector, the A-12 not so much.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

in a parallel universe the company was called Gibsdottir.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gregory Tidwell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The answer is that Gibson made too many.
    One was too many.

I'm firmly in the camp that abhors the use of "Gibby" when speaking of Gibson mandolins. It just doesn't make sense to me. It's not really the same as shortening Dudenbostel to "Dude". That, at least, reduces the number of syllables from 4 to 1. It minimizes the potential for getting tongue-tied when speaking in conversation, and it can be a time-saver when typing. It's mildly disrespectful of the still-living, highly-regarded person, but understandable nonetheless. "Gibby", on the other hand, only saves one typed letter, and doesn't reduce any syllables. It seems more like a cheap attempt at turning the name into slang because, gosh darn it, we're just too cool to call anything by its proper name. Haven't we got enough of that in our world already?

I have a proposal. If you feel it's just too white-bread to use the proper name Gibson, and you feel you must turn it into some sort of street slang, why not make it a little more interesting than Gibby? See if Gibbonator works any better. Or how about Gibmeister? Gibberooni?
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

23. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Yeah, yeah, and you guys don't like "mando" either......................................

Signed, Jeff Mando

Heaven forbid we actually answer the OP's question or refer him to the proper expert on the subject. I do not know the answer, but I bet Walter Carter has a contact at Gibson who does. I remember the research he did on a recent consignment of the "World's First Gibson Les Paul Sunburst", that is, he was quickly able to determine through factory records how many guitars of what type were made on a certain day. I've also seen similar research showing when Johnny Cash ordered two matching J-200's with his name inlaid on the necks. (probably right after he signed with Columbia, after leaving Sun records.) I do appreciate the humor and aloofness regarding this model, being probably a low point in an already low decade for Gibson, BUT, as previously stated it is STILL a Gibson! I will grant you that similar research on signed Loars and Les Paul Bursts (YES, that is what they are called among collectors! ) is probably a lot more interesting to a wider group of us.

25. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Apparently not so much for "Gil, Dude, Bent," and others I see used.
    Is Bent a reference to this fellow? If so, his surname is Brentrup. Never heard him referred to as the above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hans.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	156969  

27. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Ah yes, "Brent-" (saw it not too long ago)

Fwiw, when I recently used "gib**" and was admonished for it, my intention wasn't to trivialize the name in any way, but merely had had a few that evening (was going to type "gbsn," but thought the other was apt for a stubby little git-jo..)

But I love my Gibby. Also my Fendy and my Guildy!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    We all love our teles, strats, P-basses...they're great. So, presumably, are strads (though I wouldn't know first hand).

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    ....I'm firmly in the camp that abhors the use of "Gibby" when speaking of Gibson mandolins..... It seems more like a cheap attempt at turning the name into slang because, gosh darn it, we're just too cool to call anything by its proper name. Haven't we got enough of that in our world already?
    Amen, brother.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I'm ok with using Gibby, but I've also been accused of being an anti-semantic by my ex-wife, the linguistics professor.

I should get a bumper sticker that says: "Ask me about my ex-wife."

A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I'm ok with using Gibby...
    Just don't use it around me then, bro... or out in Kerrville.....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    The Rickenbacker crowd hates even the mention of a "Ricky"...
    ...and fight incessantly on how to pronounce "Rickenbacker"...

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Of all the Gibson mandolins out there if any should be called "Gibby" I would say the lump-scroll A-12 would be the prime candidate. Otherwise, I am not super-fond of "Gibby". BTW I have never heard Brenty for Brentrup. Why not call Collings Collie, Wiens a Wiensie, Ellis an Elsie, Nugget a Nuggy, etc? Anyway, it is late so feel free to call your or other's mandolins whatever you want. I can always plug my ears. Carry on, folks!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1