Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know how many A-12 Gibbys were made?

Default Re: Does anyone know how many A-12 Gibbys were made?

My Martin Mandolin must be a "Marty".

Joe B

Never liked 'Flatty'.

I owned Flatiron F-5 Artist #85100106 for many years (purchased new from Stan at MB). It never occurred to me to call it by that term, which has been used here in the past.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Of all the Gibson mandolins out there if any should be called "Gibby" I would say the lump-scroll A-12 would be the prime candidate. Otherwise, I am not super-fond of "Gibby". BTW I have never heard Brenty for Brentrup. Why not call Collings Collie, Wiens a Wiensie, Ellis an Elsie, Nugget a Nuggy, etc? Anyway, it is late so feel free to call your or other's mandolins whatever you want. I can always plug my ears. Carry on, folks!
    You can however get a "Wienzi" added to your new Weins build for an additional $200.00!
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'd never seen one of these Gibson A-12s. This thread inspired me to search for some images.

I can't decide -- is that scroll more akin to a tumor or a goiter?
    -Marco M.

Eastman MD515
    Gold Tone GME-4

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    We all love our teles, strats, P-basses...they're great. So, presumably, are strads (though I wouldn't know first hand).
    Our bimmers, Rollers, Jags, SAK (pocket knife from switzerland), Lesters (electric single cutwawy from gibson),Mercs(those german cars) etc...

For those who cant abide this, speak and write as you wish, but get over it, like it or not, people shorten names, use acronyms, and otherwise bend language. They dont wear suits and ties to travel or see movies anymore. The world changes.

How about Billy the M....oh gawd, now im in for it.......lol.

Personally, I've spent too much time racing Italian bikes, playing Italian accordians, and diddly music to affect much parochialism of nomenclature. But it's certainly an interest to some.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Malco View Post
    ...these Gibson A-12s...

I can't decide -- is that scroll more akin to a tumor or a goiter?
    Why so pernicious? Why not just "smurfy"?

Cos its not blue....lol.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Even though it grates on me every time someone says "Gibby," it's still a free country and they can call it what they want.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Wow -- you folks seem to be able to turn practically anything into a dispute. If you could only step back from this, you might see how truly ridiculous you sound. Call it anything you like, I say, so long as your meaning is clear! I suppose there must be some violonists out there who claim to take offense at calling a violin made by Antonio Stradivari a "Strad". And yet, plenty of others use it that word affectionately -- and conveniently. These words are not being used pejoratively or intended as an insult, so it's not appropriate to try to ban them as such. "Gibby" is not some kind of hate speech, after all. Have you lost all perspective?!

To my mind, this is taking Gibson-worship to a new level. It's already has taken on aspects of a cult among some folks on the MC, but this takes it a whole step farther!

Gibby. There, I said it!
    Last edited by sblock; May-10-2017 at 10:49am.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Wow, this thread is heading in dangerous territory over a simple word. There are tons of examples of names being shortened and taking different forms throughout history. Even some of the posters who claim not to like the term have their own names shortened.

Bob, or should I say Robert as not to offend anyone.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Kinda like the ol' "fiddle vs violin" debate..............you know, a violin is just a fiddle with a college education!

Seriously, there is a decorum some of us present to let everyone know we are educated and not hillbillys. Others get a kick out of "embracing" the redneck in us! Like the old hippies who insist on wearing bib overalls even though they aren't farmers -- they want to let everyone know they are "folklorists", for lack of a better word.......

Deep down, we are who we are. If using a nickname is your way of participating in the hobby, call it a "Gibby." No real harm done.

I imagine there is a learning curve among doctors in having to call the belly button a "navel" just to sound professional!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

This thread is funny...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DataNick For This Useful Post:

And while I'd tend to agree and advocate for some lightheartedness/humor, some folks evidently have strong feelings. I want to be sensitive to that.

No reason to close it, thread drift isn't against the posting guidelines.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Wow -- you folks seem to be able to turn practically anything into a dispute. If you could only step back from this, you might see how truly ridiculous you sound. Call it anything you like, I say, so long as your meaning is clear! I suppose there must be some violonists out there who claim to take offense at calling a violin made by Antonio Stradivari a "Strad". And yet, plenty of others use it that word affectionately -- and conveniently. These words are not being used pejoratively or intended as an insult, so it's not appropriate to try to ban them as such. "Gibby" is not some kind of hate speech, after all. Have you lost all perspective?!

To my mind, this is taking Gibson-worship to a new level. It's already has taken on aspects of a cult among some folks on the MC, but this takes it a whole step farther!

Gibby. There, I said it!
    Strad vs. Stradivarius is, to me, like the Dude thing I mentioned. It's a real syllable-saver, time-saver, tongue-saver, and typing saver. Gibby vs. Gibson doesn't have that excuse. It's just a slang term used for no good reason except because it's "cool", I guess. But it's not like I, or anyone else, lose any sleep over it. We just get good exercise in our ocular muscles when we roll our eyes at people who use it.

Speaking for myself, it's not about Gibson-worship. It really has nothing to do with Gibson. It's just a language thing (hence the similar disdain for "mando"). It appears that very few people care enough about language to want to use it properly, completely, and intelligently. Not that I signed up to be the spelling police, grammar police, or moniker police. I, like many others, mainly keep silent on such issues unless they are brought up. But when it does come up, I see no harm in pointing out the crudeness of injecting too much slang into what should otherwise be intelligent conversation, and how it negatively affects our language over time. It's nothing to get angry or defensive over.

I mean, after all, if we didn't talk about this stuff, what would we talk about? There can only be so many Blue Chip pick threads.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

20. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    No reason to close it, thread drift isn't against the posting guidelines.

Right, I thought of this after my initial post and deleted that. Thanks Mike -

Well DScott, apparently the answer to your question is "No, not really".

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    ...It appears that very few people care enough about language to want to use it properly, completely, and intelligently. Not that I signed up to be the spelling police, grammar police, or moniker police
    Like music, language can be creative as well - like jazz, a little dissonance expands the emotional range - enticing us to 'engage'..

24. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

sblock 

There can only be so many Blue Chip pick threads.)
    so you say...

26. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Tobin 

Say, why don't we start calling those BlueChip picks "blue-ies"?! We could start a whole new thread on blue-ies!

Fans of these picks could use the term affectionately and even ironically, while the vocal detractors could use it as a smear. And still others could write in to complain about how the English language is being perverted by those who employ slang, and thereby fail to use it "properly, completely, and intelligently."

Blog Entries

I have only heard a few lump scroll Gibsons, and while they were not perhaps all one could wish for, I would not say they were terrible. (I've heard terrible.) And I know of at least one person who loves her lump scroll mandolin.

I think the primary objections are aesthetic, and while I agree, I am open to the counter argument that it is because of what I am used to seeing.

There was a mandolin book, I recall, that featured a lump scroll on the cover. You didn't even have to look closely to see it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

...and the worst is when the corporate types start using the slang term in their advertising...like "Mickey D's" or "Ho-Jo's".
    Imagine if some suit-type over at Gibson decides that calling it a "Gibby" is a good thing!

Kirk

Blog Entries

Hey I've always said Gibbys/called mandos horns. I call my Gilchrist or any Gilchrists Gills. thats what I say how I say it I also say Kool. thats how I talk/express myself, ya don't like it don't read it what can I say, I'm not out there to impress people with "proper talk"

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Say, why don't we start calling those BlueChip picks "blue-ies"?! We could start a whole new thread on blue-ies! Fans of these picks could use the term affectionately and even ironically, while the vocal detractors could use it as a smear. And still others could write in to complain about how the English language is being perverted by those who employ slang, and thereby fail to use it "properly, completely, and intelligently."
    Best idea I've heard all day, that could keep us from running out of Blue Chip thread!

Thanks to all who have posted! It's truly been an education! - Dan