Thread: Students in Mike Marshall's Artist Works course right now?

Default Students in Mike Marshall's Artist Works course right now?

Hey everyone,

I know there was one thread recently about the pros and cons of the course, etc. and I apologize if there is already a thread for this but I didn't see anything current.

I thought it would be nice to see who all are the Mandolin Cafe members that are current students in Mike's course. I just signed up last week and got my first video exchange back yesterday with some great feedback.

Let use this as a way to keep up with each other's progress and encourage everyone to keep improving! So....who's out there?
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Default Re: Students in Mike Marshall's Artist Works course right now?

Is there really no one else out there currently in Mike's class? I sure am diggin' it after the first 3 weeks!
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

I hope he and others are still doing this when my kids are out of the house and I can afford it. I love Mike's videos and would love to take the course.

Have you submitted any videos yet?
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I really like Mike's videos too. I really like that they are focused on technique and theory, and can be so nicely applied to any style of playing. I wish he had an Artist Works course that fit more in that spirit...
    Craig Mandola
    Mann SEM-5

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I hope he and others are still doing this when my kids are out of the house and I can afford it. I love Mike's videos and would love to take the course.

Have you submitted any videos yet?
    I submitted Old Dangerfield and he tore me apart (politely) about getting thing more clean. He was right on of course lol.
    I just submitted Manzanita and Dawg's Bull yesterday so waiting for feedback on that.

I kept going back and forth about the price and signed up with they sent me a 20% coupon. It all depends on how much you use it whether it is worth it or not. I did the vocals class before and while it was great, I did not log in and do enough work to really make it worth staying on. So far Mike's class has really inspired me to play a lot more and learn a lot more tunes outside of the bluegrass box. Dawg music, swing, etc. He teaches it all.
    If you figure anywhere for $30 on up per lesson, if you watch a few videos a week and submit 6 to him over 6 months it's not a bad deal.

As a bonus for me, I have a beginner mandolin student that I just started with and I can watch all the beginner material too and take ideas from that to teach.

I've also gained a huge respect for what a great picker Mike is, I was admittedly not very familiar with him before signing up.
    Drew
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E

Two years in a row they have had a 50% discount on December 24. But even without the discount, the MM site is a great deal. I have had memberships to three other Artistworks schools, and Mike's video replies absolutely blow away all the others in terms of their length and their substance (and frankly, in terms of his personality and the enthusiasm for teaching that shines through in every single video). In addition to the the videos, the amount of downloadable material is incredible and growing constantly.

I meant to reply to this thread when it was started, as I have been a MM member for a few years, but I have not submitted a video. I am going to change that this month, and will also use this thread to discuss the site. Thanks for getting it started Drew.

7. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

I'm a student there as well. We're spoiled for choice now with so many good internet learning options but the video exchange sets Mike's school apart. I can send him octave mandolin, mandola, any style. I think it's a good deal.

I like his focus on melody. I need to be reminded of that and not focus on a pentatonic scale
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

9. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

I'm a member for the second time. Mike Marshall's work ethic is off the chart, just as is his skill level.

It's a good way to organize your practice and getting feedback from Mike Marshall is very helpful.

11. The following members say thank you to Earl Gamage for this post: