Thread: Mandolin and Tuba

Default Mandolin and Tuba

If anyone was going to do this, I should have expected that Bill would. Bill is a local Connecticut musician that I first met at contra dances more decades ago than either of us would want to think about. He's in fact directly responsible for getting me to play dances (on whistle, not mandolin, which I didn't play then), although he might deny it now. Anyway, I thought this fun enough to share. I'm betting the CT folks here know Bill, but I'm curious about people outside of New England.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CelticDude For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mandolin and Tuba

Great going!

I played in a string band many many years ago, many banjos, a few guitars, a few mandolins, and one tuba. The truth is it sounded wonderful.

In the contra dance pick up band I often play in there is sometimes a lower brass player, playing a tuba style accompaniment. It really fills out the sound.

I am half tempted to learn euphonium myself. If only to acquire a double belled euphonium and play it at my jam.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Awesome. I love playing the Bees Wing, it has a great feeling of left hand work. Great tuba combo too. Thanks for posting.
    Coincidentally, I played at a local jam two weeks ago with a tuba. It's a great bass line instrument. Fat tone filled the room better than pizzicato bass.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

I have been sitting in on guitar with a little dance band with tuba, accordion, sax and drums. I have to plug in, there is no getting around it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ...many banjos, a few guitars, a few mandolins, and one tuba. The truth is it sounded wonderful.
    Charles Neville said he grew up in a household that had lots of banjos and horns.. I'm not from NOLA myself, but I feel it; aside from my banjoing, I'm partial to blowing on the big horns, viz baritone sax. I've played tenor banjo in a 6-piece trad jazz band - great fun, but I gravitate toward the funkier.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    I have been sitting in on guitar with a little dance band with tuba, accordion, sax and drums. I have to plug in, there is no getting around it.
    Get a banjo!

7. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

CarlM 

I enjoyed that. Thanks for sharing!
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Years ago a friend of mine, Cam Waters, had a trio, 'The Sugar Kings'. It was Guitar, harmonica (chromatic) and tuba. What a great sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I used to work with a guy who had played tuba in school. Ther were a couple of times he would just start "puffing" away a tuba part to something while we played. Wonderful memories of those bygone days.
    Very cool!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett