Thread: Another one back in the fold - NMD

Default Another one back in the fold - NMD

Will try to keep this somewhat short - though that's probably not happening. Used to be a member here years ago. Have the cup to prove it. But for quite a few years had given up mandolin to concentrate on guitar.

Then came a very ugly band breakup and a need to try something different to help heal. Thought about an accordion (seriously). Then decided to take up mando again.

Ended up while searching eBay, found one that was interesting. Did a bit of research, including checking through this forum, and decided, why not. Made an offer and ended up with a used The Loar LM-220-VS. Arrived today. Appears to be an early example. It needed either strings or a tetanus shot, and I chose strings. Also adjusted the bridge and the action. Not bad. Now, I'm not going to say it's sliced bread or anything like that. But for the $250 I have invested in it, not going to complain. Appears to be unplayed. Quickie cell phone photo to make it legit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Loar LM 220.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	612.7 KB 
ID:	156864

2. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Astro 

===========

Default Re: Another one back in the fold - NMD

Hey Eric - welcome back!

I too was gone for many years, and recently returned - and I too chose a The Loar as my 'comeback' instrument when I returned to the mandolin world a couple of months ago. It is certainly not going to be my main mandolin for life, but it has served me well, even if only to get me back on track . . . hopefully, yours will do the same for you.

Again, welcome back, and keep us updated.

p.s. - I once tried out an accordion for a day . . . what a disaster! (laugh)

4. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

The Loar LM 220 was my intro mandolin several years ago - I still have it but relatively soon "upgraded". Glad to have you back!

6. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Enjoy!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

8. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Enjoy delving back into mandolin. I hope you find the impetus you are looking for in your music. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Thanks. We will see how long I can resist MAS this time. Had it pretty bad at one point. Just noticed my avatar is an old Mid Missouri.

So far, it's been working. Got a few old time fiddle tunes back under the fingers. And have started working on some Scandinavian music. Also got, Robert Meldrum's eBook on mandolin setup. Did the basic setup on mine, but know that it can be better. This book should be a great basis for making things better.

Accordions are way too heavy for me!

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

I tried accordion for a short while too. They are too heavy for me too but I still love them. I think I'll stick to my little mandolin.

15. The following members say thank you to Swimbob for this post:

An update - ordered Rob Meldrum's eBook on mandolin setup. Great book! I had done a basic setup, but wanted to get something better.

Was going through the book and noticing - hmm, looks like it had already been done on this one. Nut shaped, strings lowered to proper height, hmm. Finally dawned on me that this mandolin at one time had a professional setup done. Wow. Didn't expect that.

Not it's just down to the age old questions - which strings and pick(s) sound good on this one. For the latter, have narrowed it down to a half dozen or so different models that work. As to the former, who knows? Probably will stick with lights, but still not sure if I like the 80/20s on there now.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723