Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barn Find Gibson

Default Re: Barn Find Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Curious: what is that sliver just north of the nut in the headstock photo?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    In the photo of the headstock, I see a sliver of material affixed to the nut, it's the same color as the nut, just a bit narrower. Or am I seeing something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Yeah, it does look like there's a "nut blank" or similar material inserted just "north" of the nut, making the whole structure thicker than normal. (See the pic in Post #2.) The nut could be a replacement -- I invite others' opinions on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    If you're seeing what I'm seeing, I think it's just the top of the nut is sloped and the angle and lighting of the picture makes it look like there's something extra there.
    Since we're all taking stabs at this question with no definitive answer from the OP yet, I'll guess that it's a piece of light colored (overtone damping) felt.

That's an incredible find! Enjoy.

Beautiful slice of history there.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I love it! Great story, too.

Blog Entries

Excellent. Play it well!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

That is fantastic!
    Those old F2/F4's are beautiful

It might be interesting to hear the story behind the head stock break, you know the party where it was being played, what was being consumed, etc... Congrats on finding this lovely old gal.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

"Whenever a friend succeeds (or is fortunate enough to find a beautiful mandolin like that) something in me dies" - Gore Vidal. Fortune smiles on you - long life and happiness to you both.

Happy to see any of these old pearls find homes with appreciative new owners!
    Could the nut be MOP and what we are seeing is the flash from the light play?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Happy to see any of these old pearls find homes with appreciative new owners!
    Yes, agreed!

Could the nut be MOP and what we are seeing is the flash from the light play?
    Yes, agreed! (whew, I'm not losing my mind)

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

11. The following members say thank you to Chris Daniels for this post:

Blog Entries

OK so since its a recent acquisition I would go back to the fellow that sold it to you, and see if he has any pictures of his father holding it or playing it. Ask to make copies of the best pictures he has.

Then write up on paper everything he told about the instruments history.

Then take a few pictures of yourself playing the instrument.

If you ever sell the instrument, keep the pictures and write up with the instrument and encourage the next owner to do the same thing.

Put all of that in the case with it, so that the mandolin's history of ownership can be continued down through the ages.

Don't break the chain at the second link!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The pearl nut would be "period correct" as many F-5s were adorned with them. Just a thought.
    Thanks Chris but, most of us have a certain amount of brain freeze from time to time, well, at least I do!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Yeh Buddy, good score-looks a bit to clean for a "barn find" maybe attic or the case took in all the filth either way way kool man! Enjoy that horn it'll give ya some serious enjoyment. Does it have a Virzi? some did.
    I'm with the rest of us I've never found anything in an old barn or attic except the horror of being alone in an attic when I was a little kid of 8 when granny moved out of the 150 year old farmhouse!! That house had some serious negative energy if ya get me! Spooky stuff. Well I did find love letters from my gramps that was at Pearl Harbour and fought all over the south pacific. Don't know what happened to em, pry burned like everything else. Way too bad! I do remember a set of those 60's Beatle dolls getting torched, Those are worth some bucks now! I did manage to save a stack of old football cards that some were mangled after being thrown out the attic window into the rest of the burn pile. My Uncle who is way OCD didn't want nothing saved. I however saved some old early 40's postcards from my grannies honeymoon. One was of Billy the Kid and so called gravesite. "conspiracy theory aside? my sister has em I think.
    Its too bad history like that would have to be turned to ash

Can't understand why it hasn't been cleaned with a little more TLC. The bracket holding the pickguard is harbouring a lot of verdigris. I'd need to get that cleaned off.

John

I'm jealous and happy for you at this great find! Only wish it were me who came across it haha.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Heck, I can't even find old cars in barns let alone musical instruments.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I got to spend some time with this mandolin this weekend at the Acoustic Grass Festival in Pahrump, NV. It is more stunning in person than the pictures reflect. Amazing condition of all original parts on a 96 y/o instrument. Plays very nice and has a lovely tone with good volume. It is as good a find as one could hope for; a real treasure!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel