Thread: Flatiron A5-JR questions

Default Flatiron A5-JR questions

I've got a Flatiron A5-JR that was made 1989 I think, and a few questions on it:

What's the difference in the A5-JR and Flatiron's A5 of the same period? Just trim/finish levels? This one has tone bars. Are the two the same physical size?

Also wondering if mine has an elevated fingerboard? Also, what brand of tuners? I'll try to attach a pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3879.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	156747   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3884.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	156748  

Default Re: Flatiron A5-JR questions

The tuners are Schaller's and the fingerboard is elevated. Beyond that I can't tell you the difference between the models.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yours is parallel tone bars. Others x-braced. I'm pretty sure they are all m&t neck joints. Maybe the top wood varies though?

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

5. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Blog Entries

Hi T

I scanned the Flatiron catalog which shows the specs for all of the models, A5 Jr included. Just go to bradleylaird.com and click BLOG at the top then slide down to article Flatiron Eye Candy. I will put a link here later... On my son's tablet at the moment and am not sure how to cut and paste. Haha Welcome to the cafe and you've got yourself a good mandolin.

Added the link.

And yes. That is an elevated fingerboard.
    Last edited by bradlaird; May-04-2017 at 6:01am. Reason: Added a link

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bradlaird For This Useful Post:

Thanks to you both. I pulled the end pin and took a look and see the tone bars and the two screw/bolt heads that I suppose secures the neck joint. I bought this mandolin new in 1990 and was recently reacquainted with it, still looks nearly new, though it's spent most its life in the case.

The original tailpiece broke at the 90 degree bend long ago, and I replaced it with a cheap one of similar design for now. Is it common for those to break?

As far as the top wood, nothing special, but not bad either:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3887.JPG 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	156783

Thanks bradlaird. Yes, I've seen some of your info on the blog from searching the Cafe, wasn't sure about the different years in production as far as specs changing. Good stuff there for sure. And coincidently, this mandolin came from the same store as your F-5 I believe!

Blog Entries

I'd love to hear that mandolin. There is a cluster of Flatirons (from 84 until the Gibson merger) in the Atlanta area. I was at a jam this past Sunday over in Covington and there were three mandolins there. All 84 or 85 Flatirons and I think all from the same store.

On the tailpiece. That's just the nature of stamped steel and metal in general. Could have had a microscopic crack from day one but you're not the first to have that issue. Mine (the original 85 tailpiece) didn't fail there but did lose a hook and ultimately I replaced it.

Yeah, those tailpieces break. I have a '93 A5. One day I opened the case to find 8 string spaghetti inside. I replaced it with an Allen cast tailpiece and never looked back. Nice mandolin!

David
    You can't get there from here.

Yep, mine was that way too. Opened the case one day and strings everywhere, tailpiece broken. Kind of traumatic... Of course once I opened the case of an F-5L and strings were all wonky, but the neck joint had given way on that one, even more traumatic.

What about that Allen cast tailpiece, any change in sound or tone with that, or about the same?

I believe there was a difference in sound. As I recall, it just got a little louder, with some low end changes. The changes were subtle, but I think they were real. The Allen tailpieces come in several styles and at least one of them had holes that matched perfectly with the original tailpiece. It was an easy DYI installation.

David
    You can't get there from here.

14. The following members say thank you to DPrager for this post: