Thread: Help identifying bowlback mandolin

Default Help identifying bowlback mandolin

Last weekend, I bought this awesome bowlback mandolin ($25). I'm trying to gauge whether it is worth refurbishing to make it playable. I know nothing about it.

The yard sale seller told me that she thought it was an antique Lion bowlback--I have no idea if this is accurate. I see no markings on it or inside the bowl. In fact, the only marking I can see is the metal tail piece on the bottom. It reads "PAT APPLD."

The mandolin is structurally solid. It is roughly 24" long, and I count 11 ribs making up the bulk of the bowlback (in addition to a larger piece that runs around the perimeter of the bowlback). There are cracks in the fretboard and one of the tuner knob gears is missing. At minimum, it needs cleaning, restringing, and maybe a new fret board.

Is the mandolin valuable enough to put money into it to refurbish and try to make playable? Or is it a better conversation piece as is? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	156699   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	355.3 KB 
ID:	156698   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3096.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	394.2 KB 
ID:	156696  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3095.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	375.1 KB 
ID:	156697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3101.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	380.1 KB 
ID:	156692   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3097.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	484.4 KB 
ID:	156695  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3102.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	354.5 KB 
ID:	156691   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3099.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	156693   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3098.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	328.2 KB 
ID:	156694  

Default Re: Help identifying bowlback mandolin

Your seller probably meant Lyon & Healy. Whether it is it or not I can't say, hopefully other folks will chime in soon. Certainly a US-made (probably Chicago) instrument, a fairly simple model. It doesn't cost a great deal, so not worth putting money into. But it actually doesn't look too bad on the photos and you can probably get away with just cleaning, adjusting the bridge heigth, changing missing fret, oiling the tuners and re-stringing with light strings. I wouldn't bother even filling the fretboard cracks (but you can mix some PVA glue with ebony dust and do that if you like, letting it dry and sanding afterwards). It might well be playable just like that.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Victor, there actually were "Lion Brand" mandolins in the US from that era.

I don't think they were made by L+H, though anything is possible. I tend to associate the "Bluto's Beard" scratchplate with the Atlantic Rim makers--maybe Oscar Schmidt.

Hopefully Twonhoff can get an image of the label on this one.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lion0005.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	156718  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

You have an entry level mandolin from the early 1900's, possibly made by Lyon & Healy in Chicago (as they made a ton of them). There were other manufacturers as well as Mick has pointed out. They regularly fail to sell on eBay weekly but if you're interested in it put some light gauge mandolin strings on it and tune it up. I would have bought it for $25.00. It's not worth a whole lot of money.

The only way to possibly ID the maker barring a label inside would be to find a catalog page. Somebody might actually be able to do that.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post

Hopefully Twonhoff can get an image of the label on this one.
    Thanks for the response. There are no labels on the inside of the bowl, so no luck there. Again, thanks for the response.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    You have an entry level mandolin from the early 1900's, possibly made by Lyon & Healy in Chicago (as they made a ton of them)....
    The scalloped headstock certainly does look those used on various Lyon and Healy mandolins.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I go to the wrong garage sales
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I go to the wrong garage sales
    Same with me, Mike! A few years ago one of my regular Saturday morning yard sale "competitors" greeted me at 7am at one of the bigger sales. As we were leaving, I said "which way are you going?" He says, "this way!" I said, "OK, I'll go the opposite direction." A couple hours later we met up at another sale and I asked if he found anything......"yep, the very next sale after I saw you I bought a 60's Fender Mustang guitar and case!" I politely said, "that's great!" as I had mostly been seeing baby clothes at "my" sales. (needless to say, I don't collect baby clothes............)

That one looks like a Bruno from the "Bluto" scratchplate. Prob made by L&H for them. Bruno was a NY distributor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, I figured you'd have a page for us.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

twonhoff, what you have there doesn't have much monetary value, so if you were considering investment in terms of monetary return, that would be a bad deal, as others have suggested. (These guys know more about them than I do). Also, I understand that one of the tuners is missing a cog, so there would be more to do than others have suggested to get it playable.

All that said, if it were mine, I'd fix it up a bit and play it. I've done that with a bowlback - the first mandolin I ever owned - and I loved fixing it up and playing it. They're way cool. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the action seems to be good on that one. So if you fix it up I think you'd have a worthy player. I'd fix it for a player, but not for re-sell.

Others might advise to hang it on the wall and save your money for one that doesn't need the work.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff