Thread: Tres Ciubano

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Default Tres Ciubano

I just posted this on the Jazz thread and thought that tenor players might enjoy some different insights. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-a-Tres-Cubano

This is long, but it is worth watching and trying to absorb a really different method of playing rhythm.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Default Re: Tres Ciubano

I would love to try a Tres one day...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Zed - In eastern Cuba: Guantanamo, Santiago, Holguin etc., most of the instruments I saw, seemed to be 3/4 size Classical guitars which were 'converted' to Tres Cubano by changing the nut and saddle to accommodate the double stringing. This is not a rich country or rich musicians. They use what they can get and make it work for them. I looked but couldn't find or didn't see a music store which sold instruments or supplies and that included Havana. I suspect most of the stores are back alley operations which run under the radar of the changing regime. But trying to find one ...
    Mandola fever is permanent.

4. The following members say thank you to Dolamon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dolamon View Post
    Zed - In eastern Cuba: Guantanamo, Santiago, Holguin etc., most of the instruments I saw, seemed to be 3/4 size Classical guitars which were 'converted' to Tres Cubano by changing the nut and saddle to accommodate the double stringing.
    I seen this done - and converted a few guitars myself. What's important is the tres tuning.