Thread: 12 frets to body vs 14

Default 12 frets to body vs 14

Is there a generic difference in sound?

I like the sound of my Ashbury but am running out of fretboard a bit and am thinking about a tenor where the neck joins the body at 14 frets, but I seem, from reading around to be picking up the idea that they sound 'thinner'.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: 12 frets to body vs 14

Not an easy question because generally speaking the guitar bodies will be different too.
    If you move the neck up or down then the bridge will be in a different place as well, unless the scale length is also altered. So basically the same size body with more neck available will have the bridge in a different place.
    21" scales often have 12 frets to the body and 23" more often have 14.
    I like to build big body guitars with short scales (20-21"), if I used 14 frets to the body then the bridge would be up near the sound hole, so I prefer to use 12 frets.
    Next we have the issue of how you hold your guitar, I like to sit it on my left knee (six string on my right knee) so I am not so keen on long necks past the body because it puts my left wrist at a bad angle. (for me anyway)
    One solution is a cut away body.....
    As regards the sound, I would say the longer the neck the better the sound but that depends on what sort of sound you are looking for!
    I like my tenors to sustain as much as possible.
    Overall the Blueridge is hard to beat for general strumming and slowish melody, they have 14 frets to the body and make a cut away. If you want to play fast melody (mandolin stuff) then a shorter scale and 12 frets would probably work better!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fox For This Useful Post:

This is mine https://www.hobgoblin.com/local/sale...ar-spruce-top/ 23" scale and 12 frets, sounds quite full and 'guitary'. I would be happy with it except that I am learning some chord melody that is taking me up beyond the 12th fret, maybe I will just have to learn to reach over.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

This one would suit you but I doubt if you can get it at this price in the UK?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...#productDetail
    Last edited by fox; Apr-29-2017 at 9:21am.

Don't, I let one slip through my hands at £190 a couple of months ago as I wasn't working, still kicking myself. You don't seem to be able to get the TCE over here and even the vanilla 40 is £600 in Hobgoblin, although Amazon sometimes have them considerably cheaper.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

It winds me up that Amazon sell the BR40 six string for £150 less than the same body with four strings!

8. The following members say thank you to fox for this post:

derbex 

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    This one would suit you but I doubt if you can get it at this price in the UK?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...#productDetail
    The BR-70T is selling for less than the BR-60T ($621.33 vs. $664.06). That is extremely odd since the BR-70T is just a fancy BR-60T (spruce top, rosewood body, bound fretboard, abalone accents, etc.). I paid $375.00 brand new for my BR-60T, so the current price is definitely on the high side. Would anyone pay more for the BR-60T instead of getting the BR-70T?
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Who knows? some folk are pretty obsessed with their own perceived quality's of tone wood!
    Any which way they are expensive guitars in the UK.

Fox has some useful insights. I would add that if you look at a Martin O-18 T as a core model that works really well, 14 fret joint to the body is standard. Martin used an O body and shortend the upper bout to accomodate this. It puts the bridge in the sweet spot and leaves plenty of room up the neck to play up there. I also like a Martin style 1 body shape (with the upper bout shortend) as a platform for a tenor.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

12. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

derbex