Thread: Bluetooth pickup into blutooth speaker

Default Bluetooth pickup into blutooth speaker

You can buy bluetooth transmitter dongles for around a tenner, and bluetooth speakers can be pretty decent, my daughter has a JBL, that is quite impressive and small. I was wondering if one could take the output from my piezo pickup into the dongle and thence to the speaker? This would be a very portable rig for sessions and band practice.

The two possible issues that I can see initially are the pickup and the dongle not getting along, I suspect I would need a preamp.

Secondly, I think bluetooth may have significant latency that would make playing through it a nightmare.

Has anyone tried it? Or have any definitive answers.

Another option might be an iRig, but I suspect I would still need a preamp. I do have a baby one somewhere, built into a jack plug converter.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Default Re: Bluetooth pickup into blutooth speaker

I know someone who tried this on electric guitar, and who ran into latency to the point of unusability.

For ten bucks, if you try it out, let us know how it worked.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I agree that Bluetooth is not ideal for this. I have a bluetooth mic and receiver I use for video work and it is decent for that... The latency isn't a big deal for this use and the sound quality is pretty good for voice.

I do love it for the simple fact that it is tiny and I always take it, where if it were a bigger/ high end system, it would be left behind most of the time. For instruments, the latency would be a problem.

In your case, most of the small bluetooth speakers have a 1/8 aux input. A small battery powered preamp (LR Baggs gigpro, K&K, etc.) could be used and plugged right into the speaker.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

4. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

derbex 

Blog Entries

I also don't like Bluetooth for live pro audio... too much to go wrong... weak signals that are prone to interference. Also, latency as Robert discusses above.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

6. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

derbex 

I have used a bluetooth midi keyboard into my computer with a bluetooth speaker for output and there is too much latency to be useful. Better to simply spend more money (as if that's an easy thing to do!) and buy a better wireless setup such as one from Audio-Technica or Shure.

8. The following members say thank you to dhbailey for this post:

derbex 

I had a quick try with my daughter's JBL Flip3 and it works, using wires, but it's not very loud. I don't think my pre amp drives it hard enough. I did try the mandostrat through it and via a Jam-jar amp it plays plenty loud, and very dirty.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

This might work , it uses wifi
    http://www.wifi-guitar.com
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

11. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

derbex