Thread: Mowry F5 - preferred picks, strings etc.

Default Mowry F5 - preferred picks, strings etc.

You Mowry F5 owners out there.
    As a proud owner myself of a beautiful Mowry F5 I was wondering what picks, strings and other accessories you all prefer to get the most out of your Mowry mandolin ?

At the moment I am using EXP74CM strings. I think my mandolin benefits from the thicker A and E.
    I am currently using BlueChip TAD50, I used CT55 for a few years but I now feel that it produces a bit to much bright pick noise. The TAD50 is a bit rounder sounding. At first I used wegen TF140, but that is actually not pulling enough out of the Mowry, kind of dull. But I use that on my other mandolin though.
    And I have a Tonegard.

I would love to hear what other Mowry F5 owners are using.

Default Re: Mowry F5 - preferred picks, strings etc.

On my Mowry A5, I have:

D'Addario EXP74 strings
    BlueChip CT55 pick
    ToneGard
    Abbreviated pickguard
    James tailpiece (Art Deco style)

It sounds great, but I could use just a bit more on the bass side. Not sure if that's possible, though, with any minor tweak.

cool, sounds similar to me. Yes I think the CT55 pick is a bit on the thinner side soundwise but spectecular feel and control.
    Oh and I forgot, Ialso have the James tailpiece and an armrest that Andrew custom built for me.

Why not call Andrew and ask him?
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

5. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Try different brands/gauges of string & try a variety of picks along with them - it's the only way that you'll discover what suits 'your' Mowry mandolin. You could try a set of DR MD11's,they're the same gauges as EJ74's,but they're a much stronger sounding string. GHS A270's are also excellent. I use those on my Ellis & they're superb - however,the .016" A strings didn't suit my Weber "Fern".

Currently i use DR MD11's on my Weber & Lebeda & A270's on my Ellis. I also use Primetone 'teardrop' shaped 1.5mm thick picks & the combo. is excellent. It took me around 9 years of trying different strings out along with different picks to get to my current choices - but they work superbly well. I have a pack of the new Primetone 2.0mm thick picks coming soon,i'll see (hear) what difference they make,especially on my larger than standard Lebeda mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    Why not call Andrew and ask him?
    Steve
    Spoken like a maker! That was my very first thought when I read this thread.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Yes I can ask Andrew, and I just might. But I'm not seeking what he might suggest.
    Mostly I'm courious about what different Mowry owners are using, and what they feel that their choice brings out of the instrument. People have different ideas of how they want to sound. And different techniques that might require certain strings/picks to achieve their goal.
    I know in general one should of course experiment with different things, and I have.
    I just wanted feedback from actual Mowry F5 owners, what they choose and why.

Limiting to just 'Mowry F5 owners' you probably have to let it run for a while.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Your Mowry won't be exactly like anybody else's Mowry anyway. No 2 mandolins,even from the same batch of woods are ever truly alike. Not only that,people's preferences regarding strings / picks & the combinations of both are also very different. A Cafe member who once owned a Weber 'Fern', mentioned on here how good a certain brand of string sounded on it,so i decided to try a set - which i did for all of an hour,then off they came. They sounded really bad on my Weber "Fern".

Do try out different brands / gauges of string,even different metals ie. bronze / stainless / monel etc. ,& try different picks with each. It really is the only way to find out what you like - anything else is just other's opinions,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by gummia View Post
    You Mowry F5 owners out there.
    As a proud owner myself of a beautiful Mowry F5 I was wondering what picks, strings and other accessories you all prefer to get the most out of your Mowry mandolin ?

At the moment I am using EXP74CM strings. I think my mandolin benefits from the thicker A and E.
    I am currently using BlueChip TAD50, I used CT55 for a few years but I now feel that it produces a bit to much bright pick noise. The TAD50 is a bit rounder sounding. At first I used wegen TF140, but that is actually not pulling enough out of the Mowry, kind of dull. But I use that on my other mandolin though.
    And I have a Tonegard.

I would love to hear what other Mowry F5 owners are using.
    Each instrument is designed specifically for a gauge and tension of string. The nut, bridge, and several other aspects of the design all relate to these qualities. I'd recommend checking with Andrew on the strings he designs for.

Best,
    David