Thread: Advice on pick assortment

Default Advice on pick assortment

Hello,

I see the upcoming V-picks giveaway, and I have seen a V-picks mandolin assortment on eBay for $26 for 7 different mandolin V-picks.

Many of the popular brands I see mentioned are Prime Tone, Wegen, Golden Gate and others that are expensive like Blue Chip and Red Bear, but I have not seen V-picks mentioned a lot.

As a guitar player I use a very thin Star pick with the star cut out in the center, most mandolin picks seem to be medium or heavy, also the issue of beveled picks seems to be a mandolin preference.

So can I please have some recommendations, thoughts and opinions on assembling a pick assortment or can someone recommend a Mandolin Cafe sponsor who sells or would assemble an assortment of mandolin picks? It seems many vendors sell picks in multiples of 4 to 6 for instance and at this point I would like to try one of each.

I have tried a couple of times to get a used assortment on the classifieds, but I have not had success.

I would be willing to spend $20.00 to $35.00 or so.

Thank you,
    Ron

Default Re: Advice on pick assortment

Primetone, Wegen, D'Andrea pro-plec, Dawg mandolin pick, Fender heavy and extra heavy. You can buy all of these from Greg Boyd's House of fine instruments. He also carries the Fischer picks but, they are around $16.00 each.

http://gregboyd.com/product-category...cks-flatpicks/

3. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

GASguy 

Log on to this thread (link below) and mention that you'd like to be added to the list. There are a ton of picks to try out. A lot of members have bought picks because of being able to try quite a variety.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...one-Interested
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

5. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

GASguy 

Blog Entries

Its all personal preference, what kind of music you play, what kind of venues, and what kind of ensembles you play in.

I use a different pick in small intimate ensembles or solo open mic nights, or playing alone at home, where the tone can be heard and appreciated. In larger jams, bigger ensembles and jams, or noisy bars, I use a pick that cuts through a bit more, at the sacrifice of some of the tonal subtlety that can't be heard anyway.

I use a different pick for classical, lighter and pointier, than for any other kind of music, because I have come to treasure those shimmering high notes.

So for me, no one pick does it all.

I also have been accused of all kinds of pick fastidiousness, snobbery and over thinking. Maybe so. But isn't that what avocations are for, over thinking. I can't afford to over thing things at work.

Also the pick choice makes much more difference in mandolin than it does with guitar, in my experience. Others have corroborated this as well. Here is a very good guide to become familiar with. http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

GASguy 

I agree with JeffD. There is no "one."

My pick collection is absurd, 25 years of buying them. In my mando gig bag, I carry three Wegens (TF100, 120, and 140), a Proplec, another Proplec with a bevel, a beveled Dawg, a large Primetone triangle 1.4 with grip, three BlueChips (CT55, TAD60, TAD60RB), and a Red Bear C heavy.

Almost all of them are thick, big triangles with a bevel, but they all sound and feel vastly different.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

I agree that no one pick does it all, but I personally can't stand thick picks that are too rounded. Golden Gate totally turns me off, but I LOVE Blue Chip TD 35 and TD 40, although I have tried and don't mind several other picks (I keep Fender thin and mediums in my cases as back-up, and I have some Primetones I bought to try that are okay.) You may wind up the same way, with some favorites and some acceptables. Try getting on the list for the Pick Sampler, you can try many kinds and see what you like best, or at least get you pointed in the direction of what you will like. I also agree that you will like different picks on mandolin from guitar, Guitar because of the lower string tension is WAY more forgiving of the pick you use.

I prefer the bc 35 myself also,,but I also use the pick boy sharp carbon in .88 and .75..very thin and extremely stiff,,I seem to switch almost on what kind of weather out it is,,,the best I can figure,the humidity or whatever effects my mandolins,which then require different picks to bring out their best...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    I agree with JeffD. There is no "one." My pick collection is absurd, 25 years of buying them. In my mando gig bag, I carry three Wegens (TF100, 120, and 140), a Proplec, another Proplec with a bevel, a beveled Dawg, a large Primetone triangle 1.4 with grip, three BlueChips (CT55, TAD60, TAD60RB), and a Red Bear C heavy. Almost all of them are thick, big triangles with a bevel, but they all sound and feel vastly different.
    As you and I seem to have similar collections, I'd be interested to hear your experience of how they sound and feel. My Wegen TF140 is my most comfortable player, so I've recently picked up a CF140 for experimenting (as well as a TF120, TF100, and BN120 for my new Poe flattop). I find it a bit bright tonally and loud, ideal for playing with others. My Red Bear Heavy C, by way of contrast, has the most pleasing tone for solo work albeit with a less natural feel. It's best employed at home. The CT55 is kind of like a compromise between the two, with the ProPlec (particularly a manually beveled one) the economy model for high risk applications (like work). I've yet to handle a Primetone, though I do have another pick made of natural material with which I rarely fuss.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Log on to this thread (link below) and mention that you'd like to be added to the list. There are a ton of picks to try out. A lot of members have bought picks because of being able to try quite a variety.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...one-Interested
    Or avoided spending a lot of money on expensive picks that didn't suit them. I had the sampler early on and played them all quite a bit. Once I'd narrowed my favorites down to 4 or 5 I had my wife, who's a musician with a terrific ear, to listen to them blind and give her opinion. She could hear differences between the picks, but had no clear preference. I couldn't find enough difference between the high end picks, both in sound and playing characteristics, and my current favorites (Primetone Triangle, one corner rounded a bit)to justify spending more. I sent the picks on their way, my pick envy syndrome assuaged. Hmmm...maybe I'll put my name back on the list. There ought to be a lot more additions by now.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Hey Ron, there are many strings here about picks. The search function here is your friend.

I'd recommend going with a higher gauge/thickness than you would for guitar. Mandolin strings are at a higher tension, and given they are in pairs, you'll need a thicker pick to get through them easily.

Typically, I recommend picks in the 1.4mm -1.6mm range to start. Material, size, point shape, and bevel all have an impact on the sound quality and feel. Here are a few very popular models I recommend trying to help you get a feel for what you might like before trying some much more expensive picks.

V-Pick Lite (1.5mm thick, rounded triangle, no bevel, acrylic, comes in 4 sizes) - $4
    D'Andrea ProPlec 385 (1.5mm thick, rounded triangle, cellulose, no bevel) - $10 / dozen
    D'Andrea ProPlec 346 (1.5mm thick, semi-pointed triangle, cellulose, no bevel) -$10 / dozen
    Wegen TF140 (1.4mm thick, pointed triangle, delrin, holes for texture, speed beveled) - $20 / 2
    Dunlop Primetone 1.5 triangle (1.5mm thick, pointed triangle w. slightly rounded tips, Ultex, speed beveled) $5 / 3

Best of luck.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Start buying start trying. Shape, thickness, material, bevel or not on the playing edge. Picks can get pricey in a hurry and that's a fact. I do use one all the time because that's what I am used to. It stays in the strings of the instrument so I can find it. I recommend finding the shape you prefer first. That can be inexpensive. Thickness also can be had in certain materials inexpensively also. Material is where you can start to spend some "real" money. I recommend you investigate Tortex picks because of their small price and wide variety of shapes and thicknesses. From Fender plastic to Blue Chip to animal parts, all have people that prefer one over the other. The "best" not too expensive pick I have found , and that is for me, is a TF 140 Wegan..... and they usually cost about 15.00$ a pair. Enjoy the search. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...