Thread: Mandolin Stand

Default Mandolin Stand

I have a Godin A8 electric mandolin that I'm going to incorporate into our band. I would appreciate some stand suggestions from gigging musicians. I want something that will keep it well protected from being accidentally knocked over by clumsy bassists and drummers and such.

Default Re: Mandolin Stand

The only stand I'll put my mandolin on in a gig environment is the Hercules with the jaws on the headstok cradle that keep the instrument from being bumped loose. If I don't have that, it goes in its case or somewhere out of traffic in a zero-potential state.

String Swing Mic/Music Stands on the mic stand work well for me.
    Attachment to the smaller inner vertical section just above the top of the larger piece is most secure.
    This prevents it sliding down without exerting extreme pressure on the thumb screw.
    Available at a lower price many places on the web. (NFI.)
    A small section of a foam swimming noodle provides a soft bumper between back of instrument and the stand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC04UK.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	156242

5. The following members say thank you to djeffcoat for this post:

Jacob 

On a gig, I bring a Hercules GS432B tri-stand. Stable, sturdy, protects well, compact when all closed down ready to pack. Fits guitar, bass, mando, ukulele, and similar instruments.

Name:	453084000000000-00-500x500.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	156247

EDIT TO ADD:
    At home, I use String Swing wall hangers in a room adequately humidified. Accessible to be admired, picked, and played at a moment's notice, yet protected from kids and pets (and careless aldults otherwise walking between floor stands), and because the room is environmentally controlled, it's a lot less maintenance than monitoring the internal temperature and RH% of a dozen cases, + no adaptation to a new climate contrast when the instrument is being picked to play.

Name:	IMG_0093.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	156248
    Last edited by Uke Richard; Apr-19-2017 at 11:40pm.

I like Cooper Stands. I saw them at Wintergrass and picked a few up. Pretty nice to have a folding stand that will fit in the case. The large ones work for guitar, mandocello, banjo, etc. The small ones are great for mandolin, uke, fiddle. I use these at gigs, song circles and jams.

At home I do the same as 'Uke Richard - wall hangers in a temperature/humidity controlled room.

Registered User Vincent Capostagno's Avatar

I have the Hercules 2headed stand. Much broader base than the Travelite series an more stable. Just remember that the hangers and cushions are not individually adjustable so your instruments should be reasonably close is size. Some of our multi instrumentalists here can give you some better insights.

I use Hamilton stands. They work fine for guitars, but are adjustable to mandolin dimensions as well. Back when I started using them there were few other options for mandolins. I've never had a reason to change.

Thanks everyone. I have a band mate who used a Hercules stand for his bass. I'm going to see how it fits with my mandolin at tomorrow's gig. If that seems good, that's what I'll go with.