Thread: Taran Springwell Mandolin

Default Taran Springwell Mandolin

Hopefully this is the right place to post this - seems like other people are placing similar posts in this section.

About a month ago I took delivery of a new Taran Springwell mandolin made by Rory Dowling up in Fife, Scotland. I found out about Rory's mandolins via the cafe (having previously been aware of his excellent guitars) so I thought I would do my bit and spread the word.

This was my first experience of buying an instrument directly from the builder and I found Rory very easy to deal with. Clear communication and very patient with my questions. Having the opportunity to visit his workshop and talk through the options was a great help and Rory was very generous with his time.

The finished mandolin is very responsive and has a lovely sweet tone. My other regular instrument is a Collings MT2O which has a typical modern oval hole sound. The Springwell is a very different beast and I think it has a better dynamic range than my Collings with a tone that is more focused on the mids and highs. There is a link below to Kevin MacLeod playing a few different mandolins made by Rory - it seemed rather redundant to post a clip when the option to listed to Kevin's excellent playing exists.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-quot-mandolin

My Springwell is Cocobolo back and side. Overall I am delighted with the mandolin and would recommend Rory to anyone looking for a quality instrument.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170417_19_46_01_Pro.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	856.9 KB 
ID:	156123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20170417_19_46_18_Pro.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	867.3 KB 
ID:	156124

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DJM83 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Taran Springwell Mandolin

Good news that you have one of Rory's superb instruments. I would love to hear and see a clip of some sort, that would be very useful to others, I'm sure. he is certainly making wonderful instruments! A hugely talented Scot.

Great to hear your positive experience with a Springwell mandolin.
    Nic Gellie

5. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I'll also post a sound clip of mine when I get a chance to record one. Great mandolins!

7. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

I noodled on one last year while at O'Flahertys Irish Retreat in TX -- a lovely instrument it was too!! Would love to get one -- maybe someday!!
    Too many instruments...too little time