Thread: Help with a screw

Well I was playing the new Rose last night on stage...looked down on the floor and there laid one of the screws that hold the tuner button on the shaft of the new Gibson Grover tuners...I put it back in...only to find another one had disappeared...gone lost. Ive emailed Big Joe twice and havent gotten back a reply...does anybody know where I can get one? an email addy to Grover would be most useful...thanks

I would call Stewart MacDonald or Elderley Instruments.

I've lots of them, email me.

Scotti- call Grover directly. They're wonderful to deal with, from my experience.
    Phone numbers:
    Work: 800-321-0556
    Work: 216-391-1234

You could talk to Rich Berger or Rick Szabo, pretty up the line. Otherwise I would expect that anyone in customer service will take care of you promptly. You might want to do that first, but the other two people I mentioned have really taken care of me. I deal with them directly 'cause of the EL model, where I need a half set of A tuners, a half set of F tuners and ebony buttons. They're good people, from my experience. Plus I think their tuners are a real deal- same price as the other common names and the gearing ratio is higher. Plus, from having to take them apart, have them plated black, and then put them back together again- I know how they're made. For the money, you can't do better. IMHO.

Sorry Chris- we must have been writing at the same moment. Scotti- if you only need a couple and Chris has them, take the short cut. Thanks Chris.

Scotti, I had a customer with the same problem. She found the screw on the stage! (interrupted the band that followed them and went out there and looked)

Get some of the weakest loctite available. It's hard to tell which is which, so you might have to do some research, but some types can be removed pretty easily. (Others need special tools and heat, you don't want those.) Put just a dab of loctite on the threads and they should stay put.

..hey thanks guys for all your help...this MandoMafia is hard to beat....

so Scotti, you got some screws loose? sorry, just had to say it. I do wish I could hear you play that Rose!
    Thanks to Chris, John, and Dale (and all the other kind and generous luthiers aboard the Cafe). They keep us players in the mando-boondocks afloat after the we realize we have not paid attention to the details.
    rasa

Quote Originally Posted by (rasa @ June 12 2005, 22:58)
    so Scotti, you got some screws loose? sorry, just had to say it. I do wish I could hear you play that Rose!
    Thanks to Chris, John, and Dale (and all the other kind and generous luthiers aboard the Cafe). They keep us players in the mando-boondocks afloat after the we realize we have not paid attention to the details.
    rasa
    ..ha..ya think?.....its not so much that my screws are loose..its just that my parts dont line up as they once did

With the subject of your post I was going to suggest an online dating service, then I read further...
    Less talk, more pick.

..hmmm..now theres a thought...lol...naw..Ive got a great woman...shes the best to me...but right now shes down in Panama City with "The Girl" thing enjoying the sun and sand with her sister and some girls she works with....yep..I miss her.

Boy, I'm not going to touch this one at all.....LOL

Don
    http://www.donkawalek.com
    "The only thing achieved in life without effort is failure."
    Dum Vixi Tacui Mortua Dulce Cano

Now..Don..not "That" kind of girl thing...lol...

Hi!
    a good trick is to put some nail varnish on the screw and then screw it in! Simple. And it's not impossible to get off either!

i had the same thing happen with a kentucky km6something or other (no comparison here scotti) on stage. #i lost a half dozen screws, tuner buttons, and my composure. #never thought about loctite...only upgrading from the kentucky

(there are still some loose screws in my world that even loctite cant' help)
    Proud owner of:

Bill Davis F5 #10502
    Martin 000-M

...great news...talked to Chuck at Grover..via email and the landline...Ive got some screws coming..no charge....great service...they were right on my problem....thanks to Jim Richter and Dale Ludwig for the contact info...

I've had the same problem Scotti, lost one and found it in the case but a few days ago I noticed I've lost another and can't find it. I emailed Big Joe and got a quick response.
    Let me know how the Loc-tite works out.

..yea..they are gonna get somthing..Lock-Tite or a dab of clear fingernail polish...