Thread: Eaglesmith Weekend

Near the end of a great weekend here in Bellows Falls VT. , the annual Fred Eaglesmith weekend. A mighty festival this year (James McMurtry, Chip Taylor/Carrie Rodriguez, Chris Whitley, The Mammals, Mary Gauthier and more) although short on mandolin. Willie has to make up for it all, and he does. His e-mando playing, complete with slide has gotten better and better over the years, and he holds his own and more with the current Fred Band (Fred driving on acoustic guitar and vocals, Willie on e-mando, harmonic, and vocals, Dan on elec. lead guitar and dobro, Roger on pedal steel and elec. lead guitar, and two youngsters - Corey on drums and a great new standup bass player replacing Darcy.) As you can gather, Willie's up against a wall of sound, although this band can get eerily quiet at times.
    Willie P. Bennett - you electric players who haven't heard him should check him out. He and Fred have been together for many years and they produce amazing music that is as far from Nashville as you could imagine.

rasa

Thanks for the update, rasa. OUr move from Maine to New Mexico prevented my attendance - it sounded like a great time. I only hope Fred & Co. get to the Southwest sometime soon.

My wife is up there now. We try not to miss any Eaglesmith shows. If you see her, say hey! She is a blonde walking around with a 1/2 size Martin on her back.

he's playin here in september. can't wait to see the new lineup. the last show he played here was unbelievable, one of the best shows i've ever seen. well worth checkin out for anyone who hates the road country has taken

Saw them in Edmonton about a month ago and they were great, Fred seemed revitalized. The last time I'd seen them, a year or so ago, Fred seemed like he was tired of being Fred. This time he was right on top of it.