Thread: Another Mandovoodoo success story

Default Another Mandovoodoo success story

After the rave reviews here for Steve Perry's work, I sent my 1997 Krishot to him for Mandovoodoo and whatever work he thought it needed. I just got it back today. It sounds awesome. I have loved the tone since I bought it, but now it's clearer and sharper and louder and I am going to stop now so I can go play it some more. I liked it better than the Pava and Weber mandos I played it against when I bought it, and now it's way better. Thank you Steve!

2. The following members say thank you to Mark Miller for this post:

Default Re: Another Mandovoodoo success story

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    After the rave reviews here for Steve Perry's work, I sent my 1997 Krishot to him for Mandovoodoo and whatever work he thought it needed. I just got it back today. It sounds awesome. I have loved the tone since I bought it, but now it's clearer and sharper and louder and I am going to stop now so I can go play it some more. I liked it better than the Pava and Weber mandos I played it against when I bought it, and now it's way better. Thank you Steve!
    Steve just rebuilt my wife's old German fiddle and extensively set up and modified her newer Chinese fiddle. He brought the one back to life and gave life to the other. Great job on both and done very quickly as well.

Still love my Mandovoodooed Eastman.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I would report the opposite in my experience with Gianna Violins (i.e. Mandovoodo). Steve did not respond to emails, phone calls, or texts, for over a month while he had my mandolin. The only person I heard from after the initial arrival of the Mandolin was "Rebecca" from his email account when they were ready to ship it back.

When it came back, the only meaningful differences were, it had new damage to the finish on the top around the F-holes, a new scratch on the top, and wood chips in the case, and the sound was worse than before. The top end was gone. I had to re-set up the bridge to balance it out again. This was not an Eastman mandolin either and the damage will definitely decrease the value.

I think if you do get the chance to speak to him on the phone, you'll realize he's a bit of an eccentric. An eccentric genius ? I'll let you decide.

It sounds like your experience was not the norm from Gianna.
    I'm not sure what your other mandolin experience might be, as you have no history of posting on this site, other than to create an account today and complain with your first post.

I've found Mr Perry's work to be top notch. I've owned 3 mandolins that received the MandoVooDoo treatment and all were taken care of by him and all had improved tone.

Steve can sometimes be hard to reach, as he has a thriving law practice that is his main source of income, but my mandolins have been worked on in a timely manner and returned to me in a reasonable time.

I would go with eccentric. Extremely knowledgeable on a number of issues. Music, chemistry, law are a few we touched on. When Steve explained mandovoodoo he left me in the dust, but I was not necessarily impressed with his explanation. I was extremely impressed with the results on two instruments that were lacking in tone. Both really came to light or improved as much as they were able to as far as tone. If I had an instrument that was lacking in tonal qualities I would drive out and have Steve do his magic. I would not ask him to explain it, however. I may just be lacking in the technical knowledge to comprehend what he would say.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172