Thread: Gerry Barry RIP

Default Gerry Barry RIP

Hi all, I'm using the Cafe to pay tribute to one of its members and my very great friend Gerry Barry who unfortunately died very suddenly yesterday. I'm also hoping that Cafe members who know Gerry will pass the word around to his many friends in the Bluegrass Communities of the United States, The United Kingdom and of course his native country Ireland.

Gerry has been my friend for almost 40 years and has been there for me and my family through good and bad times. I know on the Cafe we tend to mainly talk about instruments and stars of the Bluegrass and other music scenes but I think its right that we acknowledge one of our own, one of the ordinary guys who lived for his music and his family and who took great pleasure in learning new tunes, listening to music and meeting new friends in all sorts of strange places through playing his mandolin. That's what music is to most of us after all.

He leaves behind his beloved wife Helen, his extended family and a host of friends who have all been blessed to have known him.

We'll all miss ya Gerry and hopefully they have mandolins in Heaven cos if they don't I know you're going to be really pi**ed off.

John
    Name:  DSC_0115_edited-1.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  3.84 MB
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Apr-11-2017 at 2:57pm. Reason: display of picture full size

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Reinhardt For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gerry Barry RIP

On behalf of the Cafe, our sympathy to you, his family and friends. We're always saddened to hear of the passing of someone who spent time in our presence. When you run a web site for 21+ years, 18 of which have a forum, there's more of this than you ever care to experience.

Your tribute to your friend was very warm and I thank you for sharing that friendship you had with him one more time. Rest in peace.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Hello John,

I did not know Gerry, but I know one thing for certain about him; he was fortunate to have a caring friend like you. My sympathy goes out to his family and to you. I sense your loss in the wonderful obituary you wrote. Anyone would be fortunate to have such a friend.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Hi John,

I had a chance to meet and pick with Gerry at a few of the Monroe camps. As nice of a guy you could ever hope to meet. My condolences to family and friends. Will pick a Monroe tune this evening in Gerry's honor!

Best,

Dan

8. The following members say thank you to dbilello for this post:

Very touching. Best to you and to his family. Perhaps you can share with us a tune that he liked to play. Maybe some of can learn it and keep a part of him present in our music.

10. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I had many visits from Gerry, he was a great guy. I am very sad to hear about this.

My best wishes to all his family and friends.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

12. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

This is simply terrible news. I came to know Gerry by way of his love for the mandolin and meeting up at Monroe Camp. Gerry was a quietly spoken, true gentleman and I enjoyed his company immensely. My thoughts go out to Gerry's wife Helen and his family.
    I'm sorry I didn't make it to Ireland to visit you Gerry. A very sad day indeed.

14. The following members say thank you to Paul Duff for this post:

Blog Entries

I'm very sorry for you and our loss. My sincere condolences.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

16. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Thanks for all of your kind words re Gerry guys. I know his wife Helen and Family will be delighted to see them. Jerusalem Ridge was one of his favourite tunes.Next time you play it think of him!! I wonder has he got to play with Bill Munroe up there yet!! Now that would be his idea of Heaven.

John

I'm saddened to hear of this, he truly was a kind soul. I'm glad I made his acquaintance and picked a few tunes with him at the Monroe Camp. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will miss his presence there this year.

19. The following members say thank you to John Gardinsky for this post:

Gerry was one of the very first buyers of a Sorensen mandolin - perhaps the very first that I sent to Trevor at TAMCO. I was delighted to get pictures of Gerry jamming in a local pub and thrilled to have a mandolin with a such a wonderful player and person.

Hope he's enjoying a pint and picking away in the great pub up above!

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

21. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post:

Reinhardt: I only just found out about this, minutes ago. Thanks for these wonderful thoughts on Gerry. I met and got to know Gerry at Sore Fingers back in 2014 and 2015, and again at a few Monroe Mandolin camps. I think everyone who got to know Gerry would agree with me that there was not a nicer, kinder, and gentler person than Gerry. This is why everybody liked to be around him. The fact that he loved mandolins and mandolin playing was a bonus. His passing is so sad and leaves a hole in the heart of everyone who knew him. RIP, Gerry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Hi all, I'm using the Cafe to pay tribute to one of its members and my very great friend Gerry Barry who unfortunately died very suddenly yesterday. I'm also hoping that Cafe members who know Gerry will pass the word around to his many friends in the Bluegrass Communities of the United States, The United Kingdom and of course his native country Ireland.

Gerry has been my friend for almost 40 years and has been there for me and my family through good and bad times. I know on the Cafe we tend to mainly talk about instruments and stars of the Bluegrass and other music scenes but I think its right that we acknowledge one of our own, one of the ordinary guys who lived for his music and his family and who took great pleasure in learning new tunes, listening to music and meeting new friends in all sorts of strange places through playing his mandolin. That's what music is to most of us after all.

He leaves behind his beloved wife Helen, his extended family and a host of friends who have all been blessed to have known him.

We'll all miss ya Gerry and hopefully they have mandolins in Heaven cos if they don't I know you're going to be really pi**ed off.

John
    Name:  DSC_0115_edited-1.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  3.84 MB

Well we gave Gerry Barry a fine send off yesterday. There were hundreds at his funeral including trad heads, bluegrassers, bikers, other assorted weirdos and of course Gerry and Helens family and friends. Was a beautiful sunny day and the setting was pretty spectacular. The service was wonderful and apart from the prayers, a bit of reminiscing, poetry and music was had.

Gerrys good friend Frank delivered a wonderful eulogy , had us all in tears and laughing at the same time. John Burke delivered a lovely reflective piece, Helen read a poem composed by one of Gerry’s neighbours which was really moving. How she managed to get through that I don't know. There were the usual hymns and meself and Porky (Fiddle) played Josephines Waltz during the communion. Gerry was carried out of the church to “Forever Young” which was played by his pals from Baltinglass Co. Wicklow. Most of the over 60s seemed to congregate towards the back of the church and it was great to see them singing along with smiles on their faces. I had the honour of being one of the coffin bearers and I’m sure I heard Gerry humming inside!!!

We all walked behind the hearse to the local cemetery which is up a fair hill on the edge of the town. Gerry was buried in a really beautiful spot with a tremendous view over the village. Pretty idyllic.

It was fantastic for old friends to meet up , some after many years and some missing a few hairs which were compensated for by extra flesh around the belly!!

On for refreshments to the local bar. The reminiscing continued and after a while I asked Helen would she mind if Alph ( Guitar) , Porky and meself played a few tunes. She was really up for it and as it turned out so was everyone there. We had a fantastic afternoon of reels, jigs, blues and the beatles and a lot more of whatever ya fancy yourself ( songs wise that is). Alph and Porky were in great playing form and didn’t have a drop all afternoon. I wish I could say the same for myself. I’d say I had about a gallon give or take but don’t think I played too many bummers!!

Helen, The families and friends really loved it as I’m sure Gerry would have. There were very few tears shed on the day, mostly smiles and laughter which is just as Gerry would have wanted. Helen really held herself together throughout but we can only imagine how desolate she must feel inside. She is a great woman and no offence to you mandolinists out there,is the best thing that ever happened to Gerry. They were totally mad about each other and he affectionately called her "Miss Ellie". Gerry has Ellie engraved on the truss rod cover of his favourite mandolin.

Helen is getting great support from her brothers and sisters and close friends and they’ll make sure she’s ok, I’m positive of that.

Thanks again for all of your kind words. Helen was thrilled to see them. Thanks also to the Mandolin Cafe. This is a great resource for all musicians and music lovers but as this proves also a great way to pay tribute to our dearly departed friends.

It was a great and a sad day, one I think that will stay for a long time in the memories of those who were there and thankfully, I was one of them.

So long Gerry, we'll never forget you,

John

24. The following members say thank you to Reinhardt for this post: