Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jimmy Ryan

Hey all - #I've been working with Jimmy since he was introduced to me by a friend mando player about a year back. In fact, my friend moved to Boston just to be taught mando by Jimmy. #JR is truly a mandomaster in the eyes of many. #Most notably sited for forming and fronting the alt-country band The Blood Oranges, Jimmy has been deemed the pioneer of alt-country and was truly ahead of his time (too bad the genre was overcome by 'grunge'). #Of course now, everyone is making an alt-country record of some sorts...

Jimmy's influences range from Bill Monroe to Bob Marley. #He is an innovative, left-handed player. He also plays mandocello, 5 and 8-string electric mando.

Prior to the Blood Oranges, Jimmy was with the Decentz (punk) and Pine Island. #Post-Blood Oranges, Jimmy was also in Wooden Leg with Mark Spencer and Beacon Hillbillies with John McGann. "Wooden Leg" released a great self-titled CD and BH recorded #3 albums: "Duffield Station", "More Songs of Love and Murder" and "Better Place." #With the demise of East Side Digital, unfortunately all are out of print, but I've found them on outofprintmusic.com

Jimmy plays the Boston scene quite a bit with a host of notables: #Duke Levine, Dana Colley & Billy Conway (Morphine), Dennis Brennan, John McGann, Gordon Stone - just to name a few. #The website gigs aren't always up to date, but we've been pretty consistent about sending out email announcements for shows. #If anyone is interested, you can email me and I will add you to the list. #

Jimmy just returned from SXSW where he played a few solo mandocello shows (amazing!) along with a full band show backed by Dumptruck and fiddler Warren Hood. #His solo debut "Lost Diamond Angel" hasn't been heavily promoted, but No Depression had a nice feature in its Apr/May 2003 issue and Miles Of Music had an interview in their Momzine - both are on Jimmy's website. This album is infectious... oh, and Jimmy - one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet! # You can find clips on Milesofmusic.com and CDBaby.com - just search Jimmy Ryan. Jimmy Ryan

its interesting that you mention the mandocello. jr broke it out while i was there, and it is a cannon. it offers bright and bassy at the same time, and i'm sure it would offer an amazing solo instrument show.

additionally, i was blown away by his ability to play my mando upside down better than most would play it in its standard mode. jr in his instruction was all about simplicity in attack as the key, in other words, getting the most bang for the buck while playing. this was in sharp contrast to others i've learned from in which the long way was always the best way.

Jimmy Ryan fans- Jimmy and I will be playing a duo gig at Tir Na Nog, Union Sq. Somerville MA April 28 (Wed) 10 pm no cover good beer c'mon down!
    John McGann, Associate Professor, Berklee College of Music
    johnmcgann.com
    myspace page
    Youtube live mando

thanks for the notice. i can't wait!

a good link to check out......
    http://www.vtbluegrass.org/pi_photos.htm

Hey Moose....Buyin that CD by that UPS guy? Try spending some money on a cover charge and cancel your cable TV subscription and the paper too. Music happens in the moment. If it's on clear channel or cnn or in the big noosepapers, well, those boys have an ulterior motive. Don't waste yer money or your talent or your time.

mandovt- great pics. thanks for the post.