Thread: New CA bridge installed on my Eastman 615-WOW !

Default New CA bridge installed on my Eastman 615-WOW !

Got my mando back from my friend Ray's luthier shop yesterday after having a new Cumberland Acoustics bridge and bone nut installed and I have never heard this mandolin sound so good ! I always felt it was bit lacking in the bottom end and suffered from what I think a lot of import mandos do and that's thin, trebely sound due in large part to poor set up and mediocre bridge construction. Well all that is a thing of the past now as this new CA bridge has increased the volume, sustain and clarity of the entire instrument. The notes sing and ring all the way up the neck-it's fantastic. As a working musician I demand a lot out of all my instruments and now when I stand on this thing it pushes back !
    Thank you again Steve at Cumberland Acoustics for such prompt service and for such a wonderful product. I'll will be a customer for life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0419.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	435.0 KB 
ID:	155741
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fidlplr1979 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New CA bridge installed on my Eastman 615-WOW !

My friend got the bridge to contour with the top so tight you can't fit a piece of carbon paper anywhere under the feet ! It feels like the top "pops" now way more than it used to
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

4. The following members say thank you to fidlplr1979 for this post:

I just replaced a failing bridge with another inexpensive one. My plan was a CA, but I couldn't afford it at the moment. After going through the trouble of fitting this bridge, I'm hardly excited to do it again, but I do want to upgrade at some point.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Does the CA bridge have a larger foot print then the stock Eastman?
    RDB8847

Kimble #244

Quote Originally Posted by rdb8847 View Post
    Does the CA bridge have a larger foot print then the stock Eastman?
    Yes it does, slightly. The feet are a little wider apart and thicker in dimension from front to back by a mm or so. The main difference I've seen is the tightness of the threads on the posts and the saddle shaft id tight, tight, tight to the post as well. Very well made bridges.
    If you stop and consider the importance your bridge is to the tone of the instrument, it's well worth the few extra dollars spent, IMO...

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Quote Originally Posted by fidlplr1979 View Post
    Yes it does, slightly. The feet are a little wider apart and thicker in dimension from front to back by a mm or so. The main difference I've seen is the tightness of the threads on the posts and the saddle shaft id tight, tight, tight to the post as well. Very well made bridges.
    If you stop and consider the importance your bridge is to the tone of the instrument, it's well worth the few extra dollars spent, IMO...
    material density & consistency superior. compensation superior. all aspects superior. superior product. my highest recommendation.
    Stephen Perry

9. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Another thing to consider. One of the other recent strings was dealing with "leaning" bridge saddles. Part of what causes that is the clearance holes in the saddle being a little oversized allowing the saddle to rock. On the Cumberlands that fit is tighter than any others I have messed with. Steve is great to deal with.

11. The following members say thank you to ajh for this post:

Got one ordered. Fitting it should be a learning experience for me. Looks like lots of good info out there so it shouldn't be rocket surgery.
    RDB8847

Kimble #244

13. The following members say thank you to rdb8847 for this post:

Got one ordered. Fitting it should be a learning experience for me. Looks like lots of good info out there so it shouldn't be rocket surgery.
    Cumberland also sells a bridge fitting tool that is easy to use and works quite well

Not to hijack the thread, but has anybody tried Cumberland's ebony archtop guitar bridges? As recommended as the mandolin bridges? Thanks!

New CA bridge came today. Going to fab a little jig and give it a go on my Eastman 505
    RDB8847

Kimble #244

New CA bridge came today. Going to fab a little jig and give it a go on my Eastman 505
    Send us an update when your done.

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Well I finally got around to it. I like it. Only took a couple hours total once I got started. With the bridge lowered as low as it goes it is still a smidgen higher then the stock set up. I could take it off and sand more but I want to play it for awhile before I make anymore adjustments. Fits well except one corner. I would say I have at least 95% contact. I highly recommend a jig for sanding, I can imagine trying to hold it and keep it all square. All in all it worked out well and I would say go for it if your on the fence.
    RDB8847

Kimble #244