Thread: Practice video: Soldier's Joy

Default Practice video: Soldier's Joy

Hi all,

First upload. Learning bluegrass since December. Please advise me on areas needing improvement. My breaks have a long way to go I know.

I'm linking to YouTube. Is that the handiest way to submit videos going forward? I plan to keep a regular enough video account of my progress.

https://youtu.be/KqlfWR3_xJk

Thanks,

Patrick

2. The following members say thank you to Paahto for this post:

Default Re: Practice video: Soldier's Joy

Good pickin man. I liked the variants you were throwing in there, good stuff. That kind of stuff after the first version is beyond my reach so I'd be foolish to try to advise anything lol. Keep up the bluegrass and thanks for posting!

Great work. Keep it up!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18

Thanks Clinton. I still have a ways to go yet though. Is this the best place to post it? New threads for every tune like?

Some Ability - No Talent MikeZito's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Better than I could ever do . . . keep up the good work!

Hello Patrick - for those that don't know Patrick is the tutor for mandolin and banjo on the online academy of Irish music which explains the proficient picking technique. I'm not versed with this style of music to offer any advice, but I love your restrained (not triplet laiden) style on tenor banjo with an emphasis of melodic variation - that's got to set you up well for bluegrass improv. Good luck with your ventures into a new genre.

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    Hello Patrick - for those that don't know Patrick is the tutor for mandolin and banjo on the online academy of Irish music which explains the proficient picking technique. I'm not versed with this style of music to offer any advice, but I love your restrained (not triplet laiden) style on tenor banjo with an emphasis of melodic variation - that's got to set you up well for bluegrass improv. Good luck with your ventures into a new genre.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I was getting ready to sell my instruments and quit.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm confident I'll get there with BG but I want to keep checking in here to keep progress going. And screw triplets! The most overrated and intrusive technique on banjo in my opinion. Ugh...

Patrick, That is some great picking! You've got that great driving right hand that keeps the tempo going while you are doing some very interesting things with your left hand. Kind of reminds me of Monroe's sound that he got on his recording with Doc! Keep up the good work, buddy!

Thanks skip! I've listened to that record to no end so nice to hear something has filtered through

Wow, you're good!