Thread: Old-time jam in New York City

Default Old-time jam in New York City

Hi,

I'm in New York City since Saturday evening and I have to leave tomorrow morning. I'd love to find an Old Time jam somewhere tonight. I was at the First Monday Bluegrass Jam and then at Mona's yesterday, where someone mentioned an Old Time jam happening on Tuesday. Sadly I didn't ask where it was, because I was supposed to leave today, and then I missed my train this morning... That's why I'm looking for bluegrass-related events tonight.

Any help is appreciated.
    Sylvain

Default Re: Old-time jam in New York City

From a mailing list I am on:

Subject: The Green Room Jam tomorrow at 8pm!

The Green Room
    158 East 23rd Street

Facebook Group
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim, thank you so much for this. I read there was an old time jam at The Globe Bar, but I went there and they had no idea what I was talking about. But they mentioned the Green Room, just next door, not knowing what kind of event was happening there. Not sure why the webpage http://www.folkmusicny.org/repeating.html was mentioning to the Globe, but anyway, thank you again!

Niavlys: so, did you go? How was it? I live about 1 hour north of NYC and usually have other things to do that night but I have been wanting to go to that jam for awhile. I heard it is good. I run an old time jam at a farm near my house in Westchester County and my friend Harry runs one in Beacon.

I have a feeling that the Pinewoods NY listing is just old and it might have been the same jam moved to the Green Room.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim: I went there, and it was great. I can't compare with any other old time jam, since this was my first, but I loved it. I'm now certain that I like old time music more than I like Irish music. Much easier to join, maybe people were more welcoming as well. Lots of great tunes were played, some very well-known, others less, and I was able to kick off a Chinquapin Hunting that went great and lasted a long time, with a clog dancer joining during the tune.

And you're right, the jam used to happen in the Globe Bar, and later moved to the Green Room.

Niavlys: Are there places in Montpelier to play old time American music?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Not at all, not even bluegrass jams.
    Just to be clear, I'm talking about Montpellier, France.

Oh, I know... I see it on your sidebar. I have met some old time and bluegrass musicians from France but I suppose no one in your town plays. Maybe you have to start your own jam.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I've met many people in the French bluegrass community since the last 2 years, but none in my town.
    Actually there used to be some young players (same age as me) who had a great band together but I met them when they were almost all gone to other countries...