Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Default Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Hi Everyone

I've recently started building a Rosewood and Cedar bouzouki for a list member. So here's a photo diary detailing each stage of it's construction. I hope that you find it interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouzouki 1.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	155630

Here the neck mahogany has been squared and marked up, truss rod inserted and the headstock inlay fitted.....

Name:	Bouzouki 2.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	155631

Name:	Bouzouki 3.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	155632

After bandsawing the excess, carving can start. The offcuts fro the neck can be used for the top block and also the kerfed linings....

Name:	Bouzouki 4.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	155633

A Stanley knife and a good sharp spoke shave are the best tools for this job.

Name:	Bouzouki 5.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	155634

Here most of the shaping has been finished. Final profiling will done when the instrument is fully assembled. Now the angle of the neck block will be cut very precisely before fitting into the building jig.

This is probably one of the most important stages as the geometry and positioning of the neck in the jig will setup the playing angle and the height of the strings at the jig.

Name:	Bouzouki 6.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	155635

Name:	Bouzouki 7.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	155636

More to follow....

All the best

Andy

PS - any ideas how to make the photos a wee bit bigger ??

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Andy , Great to see you on board the Cafe. Fellow members, I have 2 of Andy's bouzoukis , standard and large body, they are just fantastic, Andy dont worry about the pictures, when I click on them I get full size which is perfect. I always wondered how these were put together. Just as a matter of interest, both of mine are spruce tops, what do ya see as being the main differences in tone etc between spruce and cedar.

Keep the photos coming Andy, its fantastic to get an insight as to how skilled luthiers like yourself put their masterpieces together. Whoever gets this instrument is going to be a lucky guy/gal.

John

John

Western Red cedar imparts a warmer tone across the range of the instrument. One gets an immediate effect after the initial build.

Great to see Andy's deft workmanship being revealed here.
    Nic Gellie

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Great, love theses build diary's ...

Hi John, Nick's right about Cedar, compared with the Spruces, it does have an immediate warmth across the tonal range, and it's generally accepted that it doesn't need as much playing in either. Having said that I think it does develop and mature tonally with time. I'm certainly being asked for it more these days which is great - it's a gorgeous sounding wood.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tobin View Post

PS - any ideas how to make the photos a wee bit bigger ??
    Andy, when you embed the photos they only show as thumbnails on the web page, but if you click them, you get a nice big blowup of the image! So they're just fine.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

Hi Andy, John Burge here up in county durham.............a while before you start my LBB I Know. But,This discussion about cedar v spruce for the top, is there much noticeable difference apart from the warmer sounding cedar, and what advantages if any, are there with spruce over using cedar ?? I'm 50/50 at the moment, but I know I have time to decide etc. John (Ryan) reckons his spruce ones opened up after a few months.I would think there might be possibly more clarity with spruce ??Anyone else out there other than Andy with an opinion on this, put your thoughts forward here on the forum. Cheers off to bed now to dream about bouzoukis again !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnbazgtr View Post
    Hi Andy, John Burge here up in county durham.............a while before you start my LBB I Know. But,This discussion about cedar v spruce for the top, is there much noticeable difference apart from the warmer sounding cedar, and what advantages if any, are there with spruce over using cedar ?? I'm 50/50 at the moment, but I know I have time to decide etc. John (Ryan) reckons his spruce ones opened up after a few months.I would think there might be possibly more clarity with spruce ??Anyone else out there other than Andy with an opinion on this, put your thoughts forward here on the forum. Cheers off to bed now to dream about bouzoukis again !!!!!!!
    John

I had a Rick Westerman bouzouki years ago and it was a cedar topped instrument. It had a fantastic tone, warm and bright at the same time. My preference is for a western red cedar topped bouzouki. There are also quite a number of USA luthiers who have made beautiful western red cedar topped instruments and they work well.

Nigel Forster's western red cedar topped ibouzouki sound really good based on very high quality sound clips I have listened to.
    Nic Gellie

I have built two tenor guitars with cedar tops and lots more with spruce and some with cypress.
    I found the cedar to be a lovely sounding wood, maybe not quite as clear or sharp as spruce. I don't notice much different in volume or sustain but the cedar seems to have more depth, and a more mellow tone.
    I also think the average cedar top looks nicer than the average spruce top!
    However the big difference is the hardness of the wood with cedar being very soft.
    In my case, my cedar toped guitars are well dented!
    Of course a professional builder will most likely produce a much better & harder finish coat that I can manage & dings may not be an issue!
    I think it is nice to be slightly different and as long as you are carful with your instrument, I would highly recommend a cedar soundboard.

thanks for that Fox

Here are the latest pics for you.....

Name:	Bouzouki 8.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	155877

Name:	Bouzouki 10.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	155878

In these images, the neck and top block are being fitted into the jig. Getting the alignment and geometry correct here is crucial.

Once the jig is setup I can make a start on the back and sides.

Name:	Bouzouki 11.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	155879

Name:	Bouzouki 18.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	285.4 KB 
ID:	155880

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

Name:	Bouzouki 13.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	155884Oops, don't know what happened there...

Anyway, that was a photo of the bending iron I use. I made this probably 30 years ago out of a piece of 3" steel pipe welded to a bit 8mm sheet so I can clamp it into a vice. It's heated with a small gas burner from a camping stove. Once up to temperature it gives a very even heat along the length of the pipe. About 10 or 15 years ago I bought a proper one thinking it would work better - well it didn't and so I very quickly went back to using this.

So, the back's glued up and the sides are planed to the correct thickness. Time for bending them up...

Name:	Bouzouki 16.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	320.8 KB 
ID:	155881

I really enjoy this part of the build - it's the first time that you start to see the instrument coming together.

Name:	Bouzouki 15.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	155882

Name:	Bouzouki 14.jpg 
Views:	605 
Size:	326.4 KB 
ID:	155883

and after a bit of cleaning up, they can be glued into the jig.

Name:	Bouzouki 13.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	360.9 KB 
ID:	155884

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

I like your simple tools and jigs Andy. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into it over the years.
    Nic Gellie

17. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

hank 

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I like your simple tools and jigs Andy. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into it over the years.
    Hi Nick, well there's nothing wrong with simple !! The jig system I use seems to work very well for me. It's quite different to a more conventional guitar style mould which is a method that works very well if the neck is joined to a completed body with either a dovetail or some other mechanical join. As I build my instruments with an integral block ie: no dovetail or mechanical join, the method of construction needs to be different. This jig is similar in some ways to the traditional Spanish Flamenco guitar construction where the body is built around the neck and slipper heel. It's a wee bit more complicated to build this way but there are significant tonal advantages in avoiding the dovetail join.

As for tools, I'll talk more about these later, but I do like my hand tools. Japanese saws and chisels are beautiful tools to use and all of my thicknessing is done with a small Veritas block plane and cabinet scraper - you don't really need much else !! - well maybe a small router, oh and a bandsaw comes in handy too.

All best

Andy

19. The following members say thank you to Andy Tobin for this post:

hank 

This is great Andy and really inspiring for all of us would be luthiers!!! or should that be "wood be".
    Its great to see the instrument coming together. Also great to see you using hand tools and your own jigs and bending iron. The integral neck block is a really interesting idea. would you say its used much by luthiers?? Is that just a simple flat piece of MDF under the back you are joining or are there some secrets going on under there!!!

Cant wait for the next installment!!

John

Yeah same here......

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    This is great Andy and really inspiring for all of us would be luthiers!!! or should that be "wood be".
    Its great to see the instrument coming together. Also great to see you using hand tools and your own jigs and bending iron. The integral neck block is a really interesting idea. would you say its used much by luthiers?? Is that just a simple flat piece of MDF under the back you are joining or are there some secrets going on under there!!!

Cant wait for the next installment!!

John
    Hi John, No secrets I'm afraid, just a piece of 25mm MDF with a bit of candle wax down the middle of it to stop the glue sticking. It's getting a wee bit tatty now though - I can't think how many tops and backs have been glued up on this !

As for the style of building, most other bouzoukis I've seen use the more conventional method of fixing the neck to the body with a dovetail, mortice and tenon or some form of mechanical joint, and there's nothing wrong with this at all. The method I use is a bit different but works very well too, and I believe that it does have distinct advantages, tonally and also additional sustain.

All best

Andy

I have one of Andy's 5 course citterns - a really versatile alternative to the bouzouki - shorter scale length which makes it a bit more manageable and the option of a low growling bass when you want it. I know nothing of building and neck joint options but certainly the sustain on this instrument is incredible. It seems to be able to produce a tight percussive (bouzouki) sound or a more open, ringing, chordal tone depending on how you want to use it. Perfect intonation and playability all the way up the neck - which is fairly important, I think, on these instruments as we frequently capo at the 5th or 7th fret.

I'll second that Cliff, I have 2 of Andy's Bouzoukis, Standard and Large Body, both spruce tops. Great instruments and sensibly priced as well.

John

OK, here's how the bouzouki is progressing.

Name:	Bouzouki 22.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	779.0 KB 
ID:	156047

The two halves of the back have been glued together and are sawn to shape. Now the thicknessing can start.

Name:	Bouzouki 24.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	363.8 KB 
ID:	156048

I like to use a small finely set Veritas Block plane for this, and then a cabinet scraper.

Name:	Bouzouki 26.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	345.5 KB 
ID:	156049

When it's the correct thickness I rout a small 6mm channel in the outside face to take a Kingwood inlay. As well as being decorative, this inlay also strengthens the glue join meaning that an internal reinforcing strip is not necessary. This will make the job of fixing and shaping the internal bracing much easier.

Name:	Bouzouki 30.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	156051

Now we can start on the back braces. These are made from very straight close grained Sitka spruce cut from split billets. A slight radius is carved into the gluing face. Again this is all done with the block plane. The braces can then be glued and when dry carved to shape.

Name:	Bouzouki 33.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	348.5 KB 
ID:	156052

Name:	Bouzouki 35.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	156054

Name:	Bouzouki 36.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	361.5 KB 
ID:	156055

Name:	Bouzouki 38.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	307.1 KB 
ID:	156056

and the finished back....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouzouki 29.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	156050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouzouki 34.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	156053  

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

This is great Andy. Better than any book on lutherie!! Maybe you should write one!!!! Keep the threads comin...

John

Really glad that you like the pictures John. The last one didn't come out for some reason, so here it is...

Attachment 156106

So the next job is to fit the kerfed lining to the sides before fitting the back. These are made out of offcuts from the neck and are a right pain to make !! This shot shows the lining fitted and cleaned up.

Attachment 156108

Then we have to fit the back to the sides and mark the positions of the back braces on the linings and cut the rebates out. This is best done with a small Japanese saw and sharp chisel.

Name:	Bouzouki 54.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	156113

Name:	Bouzouki 55.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	156114

Then the back can be glued on. This is where this style of building jig really comes into its own. These spool clamps fit into pre threaded holes in the aluminium plate. The spool can then be screwed down to the back to clamp it down.

Name:	Bouzouki 56.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	156115

Next job is to start work on the top......

All best

Andy

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tobin View Post
    Really glad that you like the pictures John. The last one didn't come out for some reason, so here it is...

Attachment 156106

So the next job is to fit the kerfed lining to the sides before fitting the back. These are made out of offcuts from the neck and are a right pain to make !! This shot shows the lining fitted and cleaned up.

Attachment 156108

Then we have to fit the back to the sides and mark the positions of the back braces on the linings and cut the rebates out. This is best done with a small Japanese saw and sharp chisel.

Name:	Bouzouki 54.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	156113

Name:	Bouzouki 55.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	156114

Then the back can be glued on. This is where this style of building jig really comes into its own. These spool clamps fit into pre threaded holes in the aluminium plate. The spool can then be screwed down to the back to clamp it down.

Name:	Bouzouki 56.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	156115

Next job is to start work on the top......

All best

Andy
    Really interesting seeing it all come together Andy....... is this an LBB or an SBB ?

cheers john burge

31. The following members say thank you to johnbazgtr for this post:

Slightly off thread ( and maybe Andy wont agree) . For all you lucky Tobin Bouzouki Owners out there, try a pair of Nickle Wound 20s on the A strings. Just put it on me large body, (Bouzouki that is), wow,sounds fantastic or even fantasticker (new word for Oxford English Dictionary) than it did before.

John

33. The following members say thank you to Reinhardt for this post:

OK, making the top is the next job on the list.

Name:	Bouzouki 42.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	316.4 KB 
ID:	156405

so the two halves are glued together in exactly the same way as the backs are on my trusty piece of very old MDF. This instrument will be made with a Cedar top. I remember selecting this piece of wood a number of years ago, it has a lovely tight grain and is especially stiff, I had a feeling it would make far a great instrument.

Name:	Bouzouki 45.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	156406

Now it can be thicknessed. Again, the Veritas block plane is the best job for this.

Name:	Bouzouki 60.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	323.0 KB 
ID:	156407

This is a lovely tool to use, good and heavy, a really well designed plane. The iron is 3mm thick and from PMV-11 steel - no idea what that means but it works !!

Now I can fit the rosette. Good circle cutters are hard to find and I've never wanted to go the Dremel drill route, all those complicated jigs and things. I found this cutter in a tool shop over 30 years ago and it works a treat.

Name:	Bouzouki 49.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	156408

The arm is from a high carbon steel and I had it hardened. It cuts a beautiful, very accurate circle. The only drawback is that the waste then has to be removed. So it's back to the Lie Nielson chisels.

Name:	Bouzouki 51.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	156409

Name:	Bouzouki 52.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	156410

Here the rosette is ready to be glued in.

Name:	Bouzouki 61.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	156411

And here is the finished rosette cleaned up. The top is now ready for the bracing to be fitted and carved. As with the back, the braces are made from tight close grained Sitka spruce.

Name:	Bouzouki 68.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	156412

Here the main braces have been glued and are being roughly carved to shape.

Name:	Bouzouki 70.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	156413

And here is the finished top ready for fixing to the body. Now you may have noticed that the bracing looks a wee bit different from a conventional X bracing most commonly used. Well, I've been using this bracing system for many years now and have over time developed it into the pattern you see here.

As you'll probably know, the X bracing system was developed for use in guitars and is designed primarily for guitars with pin bridges.

In a guitar the forces acting on the top are completely different from a bouzouki which has a floating bridge. In a guitar the forces are sheer - ie; the strings are trying to pull the bridge off. On a bouzouki with a floating bridge the forces are of compression - ie; the strings are trying to push the bridge into the body.

X bracing just isn't designed to cope with this force, especially when you have a weak cross half lapped joint right under the bridge ! This offset transverse bracing is much more designed to cope with the compression force. I know it's unconventional but it's a system that works very well.

OK - that's all for now, next job will be to fix the top to the body.

All best

Andy

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

cwboalfoxhankNick Gellie