Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Default Re: Andy Tobin Cedar Bouzouki Build Diary

Hi Everyone Here's the next instalment.....

The bouzouki is now just about ready for finishing, just a final rubdown with 320 and then 400 paper before getting it ready.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouzouki 89.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	157978

Name:	Bouzouki 90.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	357.8 KB 
ID:	157979

Finishing the instrument is something I like to do myself. Spraying is not that difficult, as long as you have reliable compressor powerful enough and a good clean spray gun. These instruments get a lot of hard use (or at least my ones do) so the finish needs to be able to take a bit of punishment without compromising the tone, so finding the right finish is important. There's little doubt that the thinner the better tonally, and a shellac or French polish would be ideal, but it just wouldn't stand up to the use these instruments are subjected to. So for the past 10 years or so I've been using a Morrells two pack AC lacquer. Very tough and resilient, easy and forgiving to spray and with enough build that I don't need to use a grain filler which can be very detrimental to the tone. I also like to use use a satin finish which is beautiful to look at and feels lovely and is FAR less labour intensive than a gloss finish.

So here's the instrument, sprayed up but not polished....

Name:	Bouzouki 91.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	351.1 KB 
ID:	157980

The next job after polishing is to finish off the frets. After the frets have been fitted, the ends will need filing and the surfaces dressed.

Name:	Bouzouki 92.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	157982

If necessary, adjust the truss rod so the neck is perfectly flat and then file the surface of the frets so that they are perfectly flat relative to the adjacent fret. I use a neat little tool for this....

Name:	Bouzouki 93.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	272.6 KB 
ID:	157981

The tool has 4 perfectly ground edges and sits over three frets, each one should be perfectly flat with no rocking. If there is carefully file the centre fret until the rocking disappears, then move on to the next fret and repeat. By the time you've finished you'll have perfectly adjusted frets. Then after re-crowning a good polish with 800 and 1200 paper and 0000 grade wire wool you'll have a perfect fretboard.

Name:	Bouzouki 94.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	332.2 KB 
ID:	157983

Now the fun really starts when it's time to put it all together. First the machine heads go on...

Name:	Bouzouki 95.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	157984

Then the tailpiece. I make this from 16 guage solid brass sheet which I cut and fold to shape. The string holes are drilled and filed smooth, the fixing holes are drilled and countersunk, and then the finished piece is polished. It's a very simple design but works really well providing a good solid fixing for the strings.

Name:	Bouzouki 96.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	157985

Next up is the bridge. This is made from ebony which along with the bone saddle makes for the most efficient way of transferring the vibration from the strings to the top. In this photo I'm routing the compensated slot for the saddle using a simple MDF jig and my trusty Bosch router.

Name:	Bouzouki 97.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	356.1 KB 
ID:	157986

Next is the bone saddle and nut...

Name:	Bouzouki 98.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	450.9 KB 
ID:	157987

And then finally the strings...

All the best

Andy

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

Great stuff Andy. I love the look of the cedar top. Might be a stupid question, but how do you polish the body?? do you use a buffing wheel and some sort of compound?? I've heard that some luthiers us a form of compound used to polish cars!!

Quick question re the bridge, do you think full contact between the bridge and the body (that you use) is better than the bridge types that have 2 or 3 points of contact. Hope that makes sense.!!

The owner of this bouzouki is going to love it!! I often wonder do great luthiers like yourself fully realise the joy and endless fun your creations bring to us demanding musicians!!!

All the best Andy, would be great to hear the instrument at some stage.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Great stuff Andy. I love the look of the cedar top. Might be a stupid question, but how do you polish the body?? do you use a buffing wheel and some sort of compound?? I've heard that some luthiers us a form of compound used to polish cars!!

Quick question re the bridge, do you think full contact between the bridge and the body (that you use) is better than the bridge types that have 2 or 3 points of contact. Hope that makes sense.!!

The owner of this bouzouki is going to love it!! I often wonder do great luthiers like yourself fully realise the joy and endless fun your creations bring to us demanding musicians!!!

All the best Andy, would be great to hear the instrument at some stage.

John
    Hi John - Finishing / spraying / lacquering the instrument is probably the least enjoyable part of the whole process, so when I say I like to do it myself, I don't really, I'd just sooner do it myself rather than hand it over to a total stranger who might dent it, drop it, break it etc.... paranoid, probably !!

But to answer your question, some years back when I finished my instruments with a high gloss lacquer I did use a polishing compound and buffing wheel. These are helpful to produce a high gloss finish, but the whole process is incredibly labour intensive and therefore costs much more. Grain fillers, many more sprayed coats, lots of cutting back, more spraying, more cutting back, more spraying, leaving it for days to harden, then polishing. Also a high gloss finish needs to be perfect as any flaws stand out like a sore thumb !

The process I use today is still labour intensive, there's no getting around that, but the Morrells lacquer makes life much easier. It's a fairly high build finish so you don't need that many coats, which is a big advantage tonally, it's also fast drying, so you can spray and cut back within a few hours and spray again, and so on until there's enough finish. Cutting back between coats can be done with 320 paper, then after the top coat, 400, 600, 800 grades and finally 0000 wire wool with the grain will give you a beautiful flat satin finish, tough as boots.

Re. the bridge, I've always made them so the entire surface sits on the top. I did experiment a number of years ago with a Mandolin / Jazz guitar style adjustable bridge, but I didn't think it sounded as good.

Yeah, still working on the video. The bouzouki will be with me for a while yet as the new owner is coming over to collect it in a couple of months. I'll get some good shots of it strung up in the next few days.

All the best

Andy

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

I agree about the full contact bridge. Spreads the load across the top and and thus assists the sound.
    Nic Gellie

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Gellie For This Useful Post:

Andy,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I have just started to build a bouzouki to see if I can improve on the sound of my current TC bouzouki. It is refreshing to see that people like yourself are so willing to share the expertise they have developed over the years. I really appreciate it and have learned a lot from reading this.

Thanks for sharing
    Bob Schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by irishmando View Post
    Andy,
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. I have just started to build a bouzouki to see if I can improve on the sound of my current TC bouzouki. It is refreshing to see that people like yourself are so willing to share the expertise they have developed over the years. I really appreciate it and have learned a lot from reading this.

Thanks for sharing
    Bob Schmidt
    Hi Bob - That's great, I'm really glad that you've enjoyed the posts and have found them helpful. I'll take some shots of the finished instrument and put them up soon.

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy, wheres the photos of the finished instrument!! Get snapping. As you all might have guessed I'm a great fan of Andys work. Here's a great example of one of his bouzoukis being played by Benji Kirkpatrick.. enjoy..

John

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reinhardt For This Useful Post:

Finally got around to taking some finished pics of the bouzouki - I hope you like them.

All the best

Andy

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 1 LR.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	159224

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 2 LR.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	159225

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 3 LR.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	159226

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 4 LR.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	363.4 KB 
ID:	159227

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 5 LR.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	501.0 KB 
ID:	159228

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 6 LR.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	559.5 KB 
ID:	159229

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 7 LR.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	406.9 KB 
ID:	159230

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 8 LR.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	395.8 KB 
ID:	159231

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 9 LR.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	159232

Name:	Cedar Bouzouki 10 LR.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	159233

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andy Tobin For This Useful Post:

Absolutely superb photos Andy!
    Nic Gellie

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Fantastic Andy, good honest work & a great thread for this forum.

“ hey you guys and gals, have a look at this. A pal of mine Seanie McGrath from Clare in Ireland recently commissioned a bouzouki from Andy and look how its shaping up. Andy is incorporating some different woods than normal such as bog oak and sycamore veneers which came from the homestead of my buddy. Looks pretty cool don’t ya think!!” Love the use of the veneers on the headstock. Seanie is counting the days in anticipation of his new baby!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bouzouki 15 LR.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	164647

17. The following members say thank you to Reinhardt for this post:

Seanie's bouzouki coming on nicely, nearly there!!! Bog oak rosette, Flamed Maple binding and sycamore on headstock. Looks gorgeous. Nice job Andy!!

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	370.2 KB 
ID:	165037

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Tobin View Post
    Hi Everyone

I've recently started building a Rosewood and Cedar bouzouki for a list member. So here's a photo diary detailing each stage of it's construction. I hope that you find it interesting.

Name:	Bouzouki 1.jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	155630

Here the neck mahogany has been squared and marked up, truss rod inserted and the headstock inlay fitted.....

Name:	Bouzouki 2.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	363.3 KB 
ID:	155631

Name:	Bouzouki 3.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	155632

After bandsawing the excess, carving can start. The offcuts fro the neck can be used for the top block and also the kerfed linings....

Name:	Bouzouki 4.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	314.5 KB 
ID:	155633

A Stanley knife and a good sharp spoke shave are the best tools for this job.

Name:	Bouzouki 5.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	323.5 KB 
ID:	155634

Here most of the shaping has been finished. Final profiling will done when the instrument is fully assembled. Now the angle of the neck block will be cut very precisely before fitting into the building jig.

This is probably one of the most important stages as the geometry and positioning of the neck in the jig will setup the playing angle and the height of the strings at the jig.

Name:	Bouzouki 6.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	308.4 KB 
ID:	155635

Name:	Bouzouki 7.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	155636

More to follow....

All the best

Andy

PS - any ideas how to make the photos a wee bit bigger ??
    Hi Andy, coming a bit late to this really great thread, just wondering if the heel block is a separate piece glued on and how do you shape it, thanks for the very informative posts
    Colm

Hi all, just back from a bouzouki gathering in County Cork, Ireland. 6 members (bouzouki nerds)of the Irish Bouzouki Forum gathered together in a beautiful rural setting to compare each others bouzoukis. There were tons of them!! All were brilliant and each one had its own different sound and personality. I had my large Body Tobin with me and it was greatly admired by all who were there. Andy makes fantastic instruments and is a true gentleman to boot. Highly recommended. Just ask Manus Lunny!!!!

John

Hi Colm, Well done for finding this one in the archives!!! Yes, the heel block and neck are all one piece. The heel is marked up using a template and offset the thickness of the sides. I then cut it out carefully on a bandsaw. When the neck and sides are fitted into the jig the sides will fit into the rebate if that makes sense.
    Hope that helps.

All best

Andy

Andy. Thank you for sharing this build. I’m about to start my own build. I would like it to have a fixed bridge with pins. In your opinion am I sacrificing anything by using that over a floating bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne C View Post
    Andy. Thank you for sharing this build. I’m about to start my own build. I would like it to have a fixed bridge with pins. In your opinion am I sacrificing anything by using that over a floating bridge?
    Hi Wayne

To be honest I've never been a fan of bouzoukis with pin bridges. To me they just don't sound like a bouzouki should. Much of the characteristic voice of a bouzouki comes from the floating bridge and the pressure of the strings pushing down on the top. The forces on the top are completely different - compression as opposed to shear (guitar bridge). The floating bridge and the compression on the top gives that crisp attack and resonance. Now, don't get me wrong there are some great instruments out there with pin bridges, but if you are after that characteristic punchy bouzouki voice, I'd definitely stick to a floating bridge. The same goes for guitar bouzoukis - to me they all sound like guitars with 8 strings. This is mainly down to the body size and the bridge arrangement.

Your choice of bridge will also affect the bracing pattern that you use for the top. Go with a pattern that best supports the compression of the strings. This isn't necessarily an X bracing pattern. This pattern was developed for guitars and a shear force bridge and isn't really designed to support a downward compression force.

But whatever system you decide to go with, good luck and I hope it turns out well.

All best

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    Hi Andy, wheres the photos of the finished instrument!! Get snapping. As you all might have guessed I'm a great fan of Andys work. Here's a great example of one of his bouzoukis being played by Benji Kirkpatrick.. enjoy..

John

Unfair Reinhardt!
    You hear this song, and then it really doesn't matter what the maid looks like.
    Though of course, a beautiful instrument too.

Really nice work, Andy.
    Last edited by Simon DS; Nov-07-2019 at 8:07am.